Hybrid0NE

same as topic...  

162 members have voted

1. 1. same as topic...

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Maybe
    • God Save Us.

Well I was studying an atlas last night and I outlined the MSA counties and realized that Atlanta's sprwal is going more towards the northwest and northeast. I find this hard to beleive because if you keep going north you are going to eventually run into the mountains. The way I look at it is Atlanta will eat up everything in 1 county and then move on to the next. so it's not like the developers build a few subdivisiond in a county and say, "we're tired of this county let's go farther out to the next." Of course in the south and west you have and will probably see that kind of thinking. Here is a map explaing different road changes that would be needed to accomodate the new amount of trafficpost-4402-1123020859_thumb.jpg If this road plan were to happen then we wouldn't see all these road changes till at least 2035. If these growing trends continue then I would like to see the GADOT construct some rapid rail kind of like bullet trains. If that were to happen then 50% of the road improvements shown here wouldn't be needed. You are not going to see every body commuting from the suburbs into DT and MT. Some companies will locate offices out to the outer suburbs. I expect Atlanta's MSA population to be 8 million by 2035 if the growing patterns continue. Sure we are going to see I-85 being more than its current 4 lanes from Suwanee to Greenville. And we are going to see I-75 being at least 8 lanes total from Jonesboro to Macon. Kind of think of it as a Richmond-DC scenario. And by 2025 prepare yourself for seeing overhead signs on I-85 reading "Northern Suburbs" beyond Suwanee. The suburbs you know today won't be the same in 10 years. The current suburbs will be almost like the city of Atlanta itself. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they extend GA 400 to the NC line by 2025. And, I guarantee you that some of these small little comunities such as Commerce and Calhoun will be the size of Marietta and some of the northern Fulton County suburbs.

That's my Input!

:)

Feel Free to Add

post-4402-1123020859_thumb.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just keep in mind cosmoboy - just b/c more counties are being added to Atlanta's MSA / CSA doesn't mean they are densifying greatly. I mean, their is much growth - but you're just talking about completely rural to rural with a few mobile home parks & low dense subdivisions mixed in every few miles. There isn't that much population in these fringe exurban areas, population density under 500 people per square mile in most areas.

I mean, this IS off topic and all, but I do feel the need to correct the records on some of the sports-related "tall tales" that have been flung around this thread in the past day or two...

#1:

Superdome Capacity: 72,000

Saints Average Attendance Last year: 64,000

* With attendance figures as low as 36,000 for certain games in the past few years.

Smaller markets with less successful teams have been able to put more fans in the stands than the Saints. Examples: Jacksonville Jaguars (avg. attendance 68,000+), and Buffallo Bills (71,000+). Both are smaller markets with teams that have done worse the past few years than the Saints. And yes, nationally, the Saints are the clear # 1 candidate to relocate. However, if the city government of Jacksonville doesn't pull their heads out of their collective butts, New Orleans may win a reprieve by default.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes the 64,000 for average attendance is correct, i looked at the '03 ave. attendance(when the saints averaved above 68,000) by mistake. But i dont know where you got the "as low as 36,000 for certain games in tha past few years" I guess that depends on what you would call a few. The saints sold out all their games for the '01 '02 '03 seasons. and they certainly didnt have 36,000 show up for the games in '00 when they went 10-6. I could see 36,000 people showing up in '99 under ditka when the saints went 3-13, but it goes back to what you call "a few"

I could certainly see the falcons having a huge waiting list for tickets, just because of one guy..MICHAEL VICK

And the Saints actually arent the #1 canidate to be relocated, not anymore at least. Kathleen Blanco(gov. of Louisiana) just passed a law allowing profit from slot machines throughout LA to go to the Saints(there are alot of slot machines in Louisiana) and that would allow for a large amount of money to go towards a new stadium for the saints. And now it seems the Chargers are a top canidate to move because they have made no progress on their stadium plans and are located so close to L.A. that no conference switching woould have to take place.

sorry for continuing to go off of subject :)

I mean, this IS off topic and all, but I do feel the need to correct the records on some of the sports-related "tall tales" that have been flung around this thread in the past day or two...

#1:

Superdome Capacity:  72,000

Saints Average Attendance Last year:  64,000

* With attendance figures as low as 36,000 for certain games in the past few years.

Smaller markets with less successful teams have been able to put more fans in the stands than the Saints.  Examples:  Jacksonville Jaguars (avg. attendance 68,000+), and Buffallo Bills (71,000+).  Both are smaller markets with teams that have done worse the past few years than the Saints.  And yes, nationally, the Saints are the clear # 1 candidate to relocate.  However, if the city government of Jacksonville doesn't pull their heads out of their collective butts, New Orleans may win a reprieve by default.

#2:

Yes, the Falcons DO have a 30,000 person waiting list for tickets.  How do I know?  I got on the list 2 years ago...  I am still number 19,427 as of last month.  I work for the team and I can't even get tickets.  They have had sellouts for 4 consecutive years (counting this upcoming year, which is already sold out), and have had to do no ticket giveaway promotions to accomplish it.  Mike Vick is the promotion.  No, it's not Pittsburgh or New York, but it's still impressive.

#3:

No, the Braves do not sell out all of their games.  Fans get complacent when you're working on your FOURTEENTH STRAIGHT DIVISION TITLE...  the longest streak in professional sports history.  With the turnover on the team this year, attendance has skyrocketed up again to it's highest point in almost a decade, and even before the spike, they were still the middle of the road as far as attendance goes, not even close to the bottom (#16 out of 30).  If you took their average attendance since May of this year, they'd be #5 in baseball, at just under 40,000 per game.

Now, back on topic...  no, Atlanta is NOT a megalopolis, but it IS the economic center of the southeastern US.  Thank you for your time.  :->

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink: Well excuse the f#*k out of me,.. naw im just playin

But i notice you had nothing to say about those sorry ass Hawks, but thats pretty much self explanitory. lol...

End of this discussion...I'm a nice person. But, let's get one thing straight. I don't post any false information ever. I know my facts. I'm an involved person in the metro New Orleans area and I'm no child. I'm 37 years old, involved with the business community and know what I post. And I'm involved with the Saints organization. I know the Saints have sold out ever game for the last four seasons. I know the capacity of the Dome. I know that the capacity (a sell-out) changes every season for various reasons. I know that the NFL and the Saints work out a sell-out number every season as the NFL does with every team. I know that four years ago a sell-out was 70,000 seats, and this past year a sell-out was 64,000 seats. Seats are taken out of commission for various minor changes in seating patterns, minor construction, and obstacles that obstruct views that are added or taken away in any given season. These are the facts and I know they are the absolute truth. And I know that the Saints have absolutely sold out every game for the past 4 seasons. And I absolutely know that any number of 35,000 with the New Orleans Saints in the past 8 years is nothing short of a fairy tale. I know this as a fact. I'm finished with this subject. Let the record stand as the truth...

You can say whatever you'd like, but I got all of my information from nola.com just yesterday. I wanted to make sure that my post was accurate, and, according to that website, which considers itself, "Everything New Orleans", I am 100% factually correct, including the "36,000" attendance number. If that never happened, get mad at nola.com, not me. :-> I am not certain as to the year, but it probably happened during either the 1999 season (average attendance: 47,584), or back in the 1996 season (average attendance: 37,750).

If you'd like to dispute these attendance numbers, I'll be happy to provide you with a link to them. However, realizing that it might have been 1996, I will remove the word "recent" from my original post. I don't consider 1996 to be "recent" any longer, at least not in the terms of this conversation.

You work for the Saints, I work for the Falcons... we're not supposed to like each other, right? LOL Seriously, though, I hope the Saints do stay in New Orleans. They are a good natural rival to the Falcons, and New Orleans remains an excellent city to host the Super Bowl and let's face it, without a team in New Orleans, you have no Super Bowl in New Orleans. Hopefully this new revenue plan will work out for the Saints.

95-Souf - I already made mention of the Hawks in my earlier post. The city of Atlanta is still upset that they were promised a professional team but didn't get one. There isn't a city in the country that would support the Hawks. They go beyond bad into a new category... old Clippers bad. Tampa Bay Devil Rays bad. Tampa Bay Buccs old uniforms bad. Yeah... THAT category. :-> And the fish stinks from the head. Totally incompitent front office management and ownership. Sadly, the team will most likely NEVER achieve it's full potential.

You can say whatever you'd like, but I got all of my information from nola.com just yesterday.  I wanted to make sure that my post was accurate, and, according to that website, which considers itself, "Everything New Orleans", I am 100% factually correct, including the "36,000" attendance number.

You work for the Saints, I work for the Falcons...  we're not supposed to like each other, right?  LOL  Seriously, though, I hope the Saints do stay in New Orleans.  They are a good natural rival to the Falcons, and New Orleans remains an excellent city to host the Super Bowl and let's face it, without a team in New Orleans, you have no Super Bowl in New Orleans.  Hopefully this new revenue plan will work out for the Saints.

95-Souf - I already made mention of the Hawks in my earlier post.  The city of Atlanta is still upset that they were promised a professional team but didn't get one.  There isn't a city in the country that would support the Hawks.  They go beyond bad into a new category...  old Clippers bad.  Tampa Bay Devil Rays bad.  Tampa Bay Buccs old uniforms bad.  Yeah...  THAT category.  :->  And the fish stinks from the head.  Totally incompitent front office management and ownership.  Sadly, the team will most likely NEVER achieve it's full potential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just post the link...that's all I need to see. The Saints may have had 36,000 in the Dome at the end of a heartbreaking season, on a last game, but, there is no way they sold under 64,000 tickets for any game in the last 5 years, because I absolutely know that they have sold out every game. And I don't work for the Saints. I'm a banker. Cheers, dude.... B) And the Saints won't be leaving. It's already known that they aren't leaving, but, Tagliabue wants to pull leverage hard so we can get the best deal and he can get the Superbowl back in the Big Easy, ASAP...he's getting pissed it's taking this long, because it's turning out to be too long of a dry spell with the Superbowl/New Orleans.

what the hell does this have to do with whether or not Atlanta's a megalopolis? Go discuss this in the sports forum or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL...I didn't start it....I already made my original post of whether or not Atlanta is a megalopolis. If somebody was attacking your Charlotte on this thread, there would be more than just me here attempting to make a point...there would be 20 or more of you guys here attacking in full force since this is a board that holds alot of people from NC/Charlotte...anyway, next....

what the hell does this have to do with whether or not Atlanta's a megalopolis? Go discuss this in the sports forum or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah really! If you guys wanna discuss this then go ahead but please do it somewhere else please. :) I have no problem with your discussion it's just I look forward to coming to this discussion board and reading new posts about THE TOPIC. Lord knows I love football but this is the place where I prefer not to discuss it, ok? And, i'm sure other forumers aren't that happy about it either. I don't want to get into an argument with you guys just please go somwhere else and discuss your topic/argument or you can stay here and discuss THE TOPIC. Thank You! :)

• 1 month later...
To issue blanket statments like that is completely ridiculous. I live in Peachtree City, one of the largest master-planned communities in the country. I go everywhere here by golf-cart! because we have over 80 miles of golf-cart paths running throughout town. Sure PTC is in suburbia and is set up as such it is still sensitively planned and an extremely pleasant place to live.

Don't bother defending Atlanta.  I've been flamed for saying this but IMO Charlotte is basically an Atlanta wannabe.  Whether they admit it or not, Atlanta is their measuring stick.  For whatever reason, they can't stand that Atlanta is indeed a major international city and they aren't (yet).  Instead of accepting that fact, they try to disclaim it hoping that if they do it enough, someone will actually believe it. 

Don't misunderstand, Charlotte as a stand alone city is great.  It is growing rapidly and attracting much new industry, but I've derived a feeling on here from a few (not all) of the Charlotte posters that they are in some kind of competition with Atlanta, especially with their skyline and metro population.  I've been to Charlotte tens of times and I love the look, I love the atmostphere, and I hope it grows through the roof but hey....drop the attitude.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen!

I hate to contribute to this tangent of this thread but in all honesty, the impression that some (not all) Charlotte forumers feel they're in some sort of competition with Atlanta is exactly the same impression I got when I was new to this board. I and I think most Atlantans see other cities in the region more like siblings so this was a new concept to me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there are like 800 times as many Charlotte forumers but that line of thinking clearly exists.

Martinman you are right, we have gone totally on a tangent......

I hate to contribute to this tangent of this thread but in all honesty, the impression that some (not all) Charlotte forumers feel they're in some sort of competition with Atlanta is exactly the same impression I got when I was new to this board.  I and I think most Atlantans see other cities in the region more like siblings so this was a new concept to me.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there are like 800 times as many Charlotte forumers but that line of thinking clearly exists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not just Charlotte forumers Martinman. I can name other cities and more specifically forumers in particular who if you say the sky is blue their first remark is "yeah but it's brown in Atlanta."

I, like you and a majority of forumers here at UP, also see other southern cities as siblings and each city works together to make the south such an exciting place. I think all cities have something uniquely theirs to offer. I don't find the need to constantly mention what another city may or may not have that Atlanta has. It's okay to ask these questions for fact finding. I learn alot from reading the Charlotte thread as well as other city threads. My only true knowledge of southern locales were only places that I wanted to live or work and that was limited to Atlanta, Dallas (where I was born) and southern Florida. Orlando's thread really opened my eyes to an exciting metro...and their airport is gorgeous.

To constantly put down a city is so childish and it shows a lack of self confidence. It's great to have a high self esteem of one's self or one's location however that high esteem should not be accompanied with pointing out flaws of another person or city. I have read people from all over do it...including a few immature forumers from Atlanta or it's metro. Some of the things I read from a couple of Atlanta forumers (names I won't mention) almost send me into contractions.

A forumer can go to Dallas, Tx and take pictures of the city and another forumer can remark on those pictures in an inquisitive manner. Some way, some how, Atlanta has to be brought into the discussion. I shake my head because the question asked had nothing to do with Atlanta or nor was there a need to comapre Dallas with Atlanta. Oh dear, I said I wasn't even going to give specific examples....but you understand my angle right? You don't have to build one city up to tear the other down. I guess it's human nature.

My advice to the Atlanta forumers who feel the need to defend Atlanta....DON'T! If someone says something negative about the city or metro, ignore it. You as an Atlantan know what it's like to live here. 50% of the people talking negatively about Atlanta have never been here longer than two-five days. Nothing that has happened or is happening in Atlanta is new under the sun....and it will happen again and again in other places before the sun sets. I don't even view us as a target....I just see others as trying to exert their image. That's fine....city boosterism is very understanding....especially when backed by clear evidence.

I think Nashville should talk up the Signature Tower. I think Charlotte should boost of it's amazing intown success and it's amazing transit plans. Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston are mindboggling. New Orleans should boost about it's exciting future and wonderful past. I think the Miami metro should marvel about the amazing amount of construction going on there. See how vibrant the south is when you look at how they are all different yet complimentary.

I tolerate the comments because if learning from Atlanta's mistakes can make these cities better places then I'm happy. Atlanta is learning from Atlanta's mistakes so she will be alright....as long as she focuses on being the best she can be regardless to what others may or may not be doing.

That's just my thinking.

Martinman you are right, we have gone totally on a tangent......

It's not just Charlotte forumers Martinman. I can name other cities and more specifically forumers in particular who if you say the sky is blue their first remark is "yeah but it's brown in Atlanta."

I, like you and a majority of forumers here at UP, also see other southern cities as siblings and each city works together to make the south such an exciting place. I think all cities have something uniquely theirs to offer. I don't find the need to constantly mention what another city may or may not have that Atlanta has. It's okay to ask these questions for fact finding. I learn alot from reading the Charlotte thread as well as other city threads. My only true knowledge of southern locales were only places that I wanted to live or work and that was limited to Atlanta, Dallas (where I was born) and southern Florida. Orlando's thread really opened my eyes to an exciting metro...and their airport is gorgeous.

To constantly put down a city is so childish and it shows a lack of self confidence. It's great to have a high self esteem of one's self or one's location however that high esteem should not be accompanied with pointing out flaws of another person or city. I have read people from all over do it...including a few immature forumers from Atlanta or it's metro. Some of the things I read from a couple of Atlanta forumers (names I won't mention) almost send me into contractions.

A forumer can go to Dallas, Tx and take pictures of the city and another forumer can remark on those pictures in an inquisitive manner. Some way, some how, Atlanta has to be brought into the discussion. I shake my head because the question asked had nothing to do with Atlanta or nor was there a need to comapre Dallas with Atlanta. Oh dear, I said I wasn't even going to give specific examples....but you understand my angle right? You don't have to build one city up to tear the other down. I guess it's human nature.

My advice to the Atlanta forumers who feel the need to defend Atlanta....DON'T! If someone says something negative about the city or metro, ignore it. You as an Atlantan know what it's like to live here. 50% of the people talking negatively about Atlanta have never been here longer than two-five days. Nothing that has happened or is happening in Atlanta is new under the sun....and it will happen again and again in other places before the sun sets. I don't even view us as a target....I just see others as trying to exert their image. That's fine....city boosterism is very understanding....especially when backed by clear evidence.

I think Nashville should talk up the Signature Tower. I think Charlotte should boost of it's amazing intown success and it's amazing transit plans. Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston are mindboggling. New Orleans should boost about it's exciting future and wonderful past. I think the Miami metro should marvel about the amazing amount of construction going on there. See how vibrant the south is when you look at how they are all different yet complimentary.

I tolerate the comments because if learning from Atlanta's mistakes can make these cities better places then I'm happy. Atlanta is learning from Atlanta's mistakes so she will be alright....as long as she focuses on being the best she can be regardless to what others may or may not be doing.

That's just my thinking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great post Lady Celeste.

What I think..

I love comparing cities with one another, In an adult manner. But most of the topics on UP start as "I think your city is good and bad because... Or my city is good and bad because..." And they end up turning into "your city sucks! Its not as good as my city"

I think comparing cities is good in some situations. If you talk about the strenghts of one city and another, and the weaknesses of one city and another, what one city should improve on etc.. These things are great when they are done in an orderly manner and are backed up by facts. It is the childish your city isnt good because it doesnt have the building that my city has kind of stuff that is pointless.

As Lady Celeste said, Southern cities are so diverse and different from each other in so many ways you cant just say this city is better because...

Example: You cant really compare a city like Jacksonville to a city like New Orleans, they have totally different peeople, histories, economies, etc....but they are both beautiful cities that have wonderful qualities. The same would go for cities like Miami and Charlotte or Memphis and Tampa..I could go on and on. Southern cities are for the most part, very differnent from each other, but they are all important to each other in many ways.

Instead of bashing a city that you may not like, you should look at its beauty and its strenghts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey people. im from charlotte (originally B-more/DC) and my older brother lives in atlanta, and i'd like to say that if i wanted charlotte to look at any city as a measuring stick, it would be Minneapolis!! Just cuz im so intrigued with that place. im not trying to sound in anyway offensive when i say this but, i dont really think about Atlanta that often unless im calling my brother. i dont want Charlotte to be Atlanta. I mean, Atlanta's not the only city in the US to be compared to, right? I want Charlotte to be Charlotte, but if it were to be modeled after another city, i would like it to be a place like minneapolis. Seriously, i would love it if Charlotte one day became a larger Ap-town.

Hey people. im from charlotte (originally B-more/DC) and my older brother lives in atlanta, and i'd like to say that if i wanted charlotte to look at any city as a measuring stick, it would be Minneapolis!! Just cuz im so intrigued with that place. im not trying to sound in anyway offensive when i say this but, i dont really think about Atlanta that often unless im calling my brother. i dont want Charlotte to be Atlanta. I mean, Atlanta's not the only city in the US to be compared to, right? I want Charlotte to be Charlotte, but if it were to be modeled after another city, i would like it to be a place like minneapolis. Seriously, i would love it if Charlotte one day became a larger Ap-town.

That's the perfect attitude. You picked a city to model after, (Minneapolis is as good a choice as any), and you didn't put down the other city in the process. Bravo!!

• 2 weeks later...

That's the perfect attitude. You picked a city to model after, (Minneapolis is as good a choice as any), and you didn't put down the other city in the process. Bravo!!

Although I only saw Minneapolis from the air I was impressed. So yeah I think that would be a good choice.

Archived