Columbia Home Search

emerging.me

Hey everybody! Most of you regulars may have read in various threads I've posted in that my wife and I really want to get out of the suburbs and move to an in-town (or close) neighborhood. We are open to a lot of possiblities right now and are having trouble narrowing the search or finding the one thing that just feels right. I guess I'm hoping for some suggestions.

We've checked out Earlewood, Old Shandon, Olympia, Rosewood area, Melrose Heights, the aves and nearby areas in Cayce/W. Cola., Forest Acres, and the list goes on.

I'll elaborate more about our search later, but I wanted to start by asking... if you were looking for a neighborhood around Columbia -- a house in the $150,000-ish range -- where would you choose and why?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally prefer the Irmo area because of its proximity to Harbison. I am seeing a lot of suburban home developments going up in that area and I heard the schools are great in the Irmo Area.

Some people's opinions are that the area is seeing a lot of sprawl, but there is going to be some sprawl as long as people want to live near a city.

Personally, I think that if a person is afraid of the slightest sprawl, they need to live out in the middle of no where.

Hey everybody! Most of you regulars may have read in various threads I've posted in that my wife and I really want to get out of the suburbs and move to an in-town (or close) neighborhood. We are open to a lot of possiblities right now and are having trouble narrowing the search or finding the one thing that just feels right.

Hey everybody! Most of you regulars may have read in various threads I've posted in that my wife and I really want to get out of the suburbs and move to an in-town (or close) neighborhood. We are open to a lot of possiblities right now and are having trouble narrowing the search or finding the one thing that just feels right.  I guess I'm hoping for some suggestions.

We've checked out Earlewood, Old Shandon, Olympia, Rosewood area, Melrose Heights, the aves and nearby areas in Cayce/W. Cola., Forest Acres, and the list goes on.

I'll elaborate more about our search later, but I wanted to start by asking... if you were looking for a neighborhood around Columbia -- a house in the $150,000-ish range -- where would you choose and why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you looking for something in "move in" condition, or something that may need some work?

Earlewood would probably be first on my list. Waccamat said so much about it that sounds appealing to me. They also have a strong neighborhood association, which is good.

Rosewood would be my second choise. You would have great access to the Garner's Ferry Rd area and it is still relatively close to everything downtown.

Olympia would be ok if you don't mind waiting ten years for it to pick up. Last time I was down that way it was still kinda scrappy looking. You could probably land agreat deal on a house there.

Nice! I'll reply more tomorrow -- been a busy week. Thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate.

Matt -- if you spot any homes for sale that you think are neat, take a snap! :)

More later...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool, I'm just about to leave so I'll be on the lookout.

We picked Forest Acres to explore today. Drove in some areas that I had never ridden in before - criss-crossing from Trenholm Park to N. Beltline. I really like that area. Diversity is important to us and I don't know if it's all that diverse, but stylistically there are some homes in there that are right up our alley. We are hoping for a prarie-style or "atomic"-inspired ranch that we can eventually remodel and make our own. As you can see, we're picky about style, so this search may take a while. But we're willing to buy something that we can change later if it has good lines. We initially were looking at bungalows -- which are more numerous around those in-town neighborhoods -- but our tastes have changed. We saw an awesome prarie-style ranch today (the best one I've seen in Columbia), but of course it wasn't for sale and would probably be out of our price range even if it was. :) That said... we're still open to other possiblities and will keep looking -- probably for a long while. I'd love to hear comments on that area if you guys have any. It's our fav 'o the moment.

We picked Forest Acres to explore today. Drove in some areas that I had never ridden in before - criss-crossing from Trenholm Park to N. Beltline. I really like that area. Diversity is important to us and I don't know if it's all that diverse, but stylistically there are some homes in there that are right up our alley. We are hoping for a prarie-style or "atomic"-inspired ranch that we can eventually remodel and make our own. As you can see, we're picky about style, so this search may take a while. But we're willing to buy something that we can change later if it has good lines.  We initially were looking at bungalows -- which are more numerous around those in-town neighborhoods -- but our tastes have changed.  We saw an awesome prarie-style ranch today (the best one I've seen in Columbia), but of course it wasn't for sale and would probably be out of our price range even if it was.  :) That said... we're still open to other possiblities and will keep looking -- probably for a long while. I'd love to hear comments on that area if you guys have any. It's our fav 'o the moment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I grew up in Forest Acres and its not a bad community. Diversity is not its strongsuit, but I would not say that Forest Acres is a closed minded area. There are some nice homes to be found, but it leans to the pricy side.

Archived