AUG pics

socaguy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some pics I have been taking of Augusta Georgia.  I posted these over at SSC about a month ago but thought Id throw them on here too since Topher posted all of his wonderful images recently as well.  Augusta

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for posting these over here. I'm glad you were able to showcase some non-downtown areas like Old Town, Summerville, and the tragically 60's medical district housing projects...

That was a great photo tour of Augusta. I'd like to see more of the medical district. Are all of those buildings next to/near eachother or are they scattered out? I am glad to see a continued interest in Augusta here :) Keep the picutres coming!

That was a great photo tour of Augusta. I'd like to see more of the medical district. Are all of those buildings next to/near eachother or are they scattered out? I am glad to see a continued interest in Augusta here :) Keep the picutres coming!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The apartment buildings are rather scattered, but the actual medical buildings are fairly close together (3-4 hospital complexes all in the same few blocks).

http://www.mcg.edu/tour/campusmap.htm

This is a campus map of MCG. Its an urban campus, and most of the empty spots on the map are occupied by other hospitals (University Hospital being the largest, but there are others in the area too). So its a fairly dense area, and a staggering amout of concentrated medical stuff for such a small city.

That is impressive indeed. I would be interested in seeing some pictures that illustrate that density. Augusta is well known for its Burn Center. Anytime someone suffers burns you always hear about them going to Augusta.

Are there any downtown apartments or condos? If so, is there a significant downtown population?

Are there any downtown apartments or condos? If so, is there a significant downtown population?

SCGuy could probably answer this better than me, but I'll give it a stab. There isn't an enormous population downtown currently, and there aren't many projects on the boards. However, since downtown technically has no divisive freeways (except for a short spur), the neighborhoods that abut downtown, such as Olde Town, Summerville, and even downtown N. Augusta, are well integrated. Most of these neighborhoods, however, are in severe disrepair.. the rust belt kind of poverty and decay you expect to see in isolated rural towns.

In my photo thread, theres some shots showing basic above storefront residential in the DT area. Also, I know a former 4 story Whites dept. store is undergoing apt. conversion, and theres several nearby mills that are doing the same, as well as at least one abandoned apt. building receiving a new life. But there's no huge residential renaissance, since the suburbs still rule.

That is impressive indeed. I would be interested in seeing some pictures that illustrate that density. Augusta is well known for its Burn Center. Anytime someone suffers burns you always hear about them going to Augusta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only upscale condos Downtown are the Riverfronts Port Royal Condos, at 18 floors. There are a few other midrise (12-15 floor) apartment towers, but they are older 60's type buildings. There are a few Old apartment complexes in Old Towne, which are actually kind of nice, but like Topher said, alot of that area and other adjacent areas need some fixing-up. There was a semi-renaissance in Old Towne in the 1990's, when alot of the older houses were getting renovations from the younger/trendier crowd, but Im not sure if that area is still so hot. The Laney Walker area, Augustas oldest black area, is really in need of some work but lots has been done lately including the Armstrong Galleria (shopping center) and a few other projects. Harrisburg, just west of the Medical district and east of Summerville is another cool urban hood, lots of bungalow homes, shotgun houses and even some row-houses but there are some seedy parts as well.

• 5 months later...

There are a few Old apartment complexes in Old Towne, which are actually kind of nice, but like Topher said, alot of that area and other adjacent areas need some fixing-up.  There was a semi-renaissance in Old Towne in the 1990's, when alot of the older houses were getting renovations from the younger/trendier crowd, but Im not sure if that area is still so hot. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I lived in Old(e) Town(e) in 1991-2 and was under the impression, at the time, that it was a rebounding neighborhood, albeit very rough around the edges. Drawbacks included some high crime neighborhoods within 2 blocks and really no reasonble places to get groceries or other necessities in the area. Downtown was very close, but there wasn't much reason to go there then. On a return trip last summer (2004) I was disappointed Old Toen area appeared stagnant, if not worse than I recalled. It doesn't appear to have ever cought on like many expected it would.

I found 'the hill' area as charming as ever (where lived for 3 years after Old Town). But I still get the sense that Augusta has failed to really get any momentum going. I suspect Columbia County probably has something to do with this.

I agree about Old towne. When I lived there about 6 years ago it was an up and coming neighborhood with lots of young DINKS moving in and fixing up older places. I never hear too much about it anymore. Harrisburg has been slightly gentrified but there are still some really bad areas there as well. I REALLY wish the Laney-Walker area would get gentrified. This area has so much urban character, perhaps more than any other in Augusta, but it will be a long way before it happens. That is unless MCG keep moving southward along the Boulevard, then I could see it happen much quicker.

Archived