Lee Plaza

Allan

It looks like the city is finally going to try to get something to happen with Lee Plaza.

It will be interesting to see what comes back after the RFPs are due. The building is quite far from New Center and downtown, so I never had much hope for it. The building is in bad shape, especially since the windows were removed a couple of years ago. Hopefully they can find a developer willing to tackle this crumbling gem.

DETROIT HOUSING COMMISSION

PROCUREMENT DIVISION

1301 E. JEFFERSON

DETROIT, MI 48207

ADVERTISED: March 7, 2005

PROPOSALS ON THE FOLLOWING ARE DUE ON OR BEFORE 4:30 P.M. ON THE

DATE(S) SHOWN BELOW.

______________________________ ______________________________ ____________

05/02/05, File No.: H813 Sale and Redevelopment of the Lee Plaza

DHC is seeking a developer or development team to purchase the Lee Plaza. Lee Plaza is a 17-story 214-unit grand hotel constructed in the early 1900

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen that building many of times from the freeway, but never knew what it's name was or status. I also never realized it was that old probably because I could only see the tower. I really like the design and think the building has a lot of potential, even though the location is less than perfect.

Min bid of $600,000, huh? I got $20 to start a compain to buy it!

Lee Plaza is a very beautiful building. It was once the grandest apartment building in the city. Unfortunately, today that is not the case. Around 2000 the windows were removed, along with a lot of the details. About 50 architectural elements were stolen from the building, including 42 lion's heads and 5 gargoyles. Several of the lion's heads showed up on a condominium project in Chicago. The FBI has recovered 24 lion's heads and 4 gargoyles, and it is sitting in a DPD lockup where it can't be stolen again. 30 lions and one gargoyle remain missing.

:w00t: That's the building! When I was downtown awile ago taking pictures, I drove past this building and was a bit confused why such a big building was out there. I remember it being beautiful. Thanks for answering that question that so knawed at my soul.

No problem, Jonzo. The building is kind of out in the middle of nowhere. It is roughly 1.5 miles from New Center. At the time of the building's construction, they expected the downtown and New Center areas to expand to the west. That is also part of the reason why MCS is way outside of downtown. Because of the Depression, this downtown expansion never occured.

A building similar to Lee Plaza is the Kean Apartments. It was designed by the same architect who designed Lee Plaza, Charles Noble. It is over on E. Jefferson near Indian Village for anyone interested in checking it out for themselves.

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

I'm glad to see the DHC finally trying to unload this building. I really hope this building can saved, but I have my doubts with it being so far from New Center. Looking at those empty windows got me thinking maybe some of the local preservation groups could offer to help the city by boarding up the windows. The more that building is exposed to elements the harder and more expensive it's to rehab.

Archived