My thoughts on Providence's Future...

Vallon

I don't know the validity of this "idea" but I have always thought that the CVS corporation would be well-served by relocating their corporate offices to Downcity.  CVS is the largest employer in Rhode Island and is probably Rhode Island's (if not New England's) best known name-brand.  Woonsocket would obviously fight it to the death, but I have always found it to be a strange place for such a large and important corporate headquarters.  CVS has been big in the acquisition business lately and they've grown quite rapidly.  I think a Downcity CVS tower would not be out of the question--great for raising visibility and enjoying the amenities of Providence.  Don't forget, in the early days of skyscrapers, most were built for advertising/promotional purposes, NOT because they were profitable investments.

Also, as a sidenote, the CEO lives in Barrington.  Much closer to Providence than Woonsocket.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hasbro and CVS are the big two I'd like to see in Providence, though I think Hasbro is happy in Pawtucket. But you're right about CVS expanding like crazy lately, they may be getting ready to outgrown their HQ. I don't want to be stealing anything from Woonsocket, but they aren't in downtown Woonsocket, they don't contribute to the vitality of the city, just the tax rolls. I can totally see a CVS tower in Downcity, perhaps in Capital Centre next to Citizens along the river at Exchange Street.

Are they really RI's largest employer? I always assumed that was Brown for some reason.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.Heh.  I don't think I've said "incubator" since 1999.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny, I found myself talking about business "incubators" earlier today...

actually, there are several examples of what you are talking about (slightly different, but close) already in operation in Providence. RISD has a design and graphic arts related business incubator that provides office and studio space with shared facilities and mentorship for startups. Also, in South Providence, the 17 Gordon Avenue "Green" Building is a business incubator of sorts for "green" businesses like People's Power and Light, CleanScape, and others, that also provides affordable office space and shared business and conference facilities. I think Johnson and Wales provides something in the food area and Brown has been talking about increased biotech stuff, but I am not sure where those are at.

Wouldn't that pretty much be lights out for Woonsocket?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would not be surprised to learn that the President of CVS has been emailing the Gov. lately telling him how much he loves Swansea.

"Dear Don, I just love Swansea, what a great place to locate a business. What's that, Swansea's not in Rhode Island?"

If (and it's probably a big if) CVS decided to move to Providence they would probably be looking to make a deal with the state along the lines of what GTECH did. And GTECH got it's deal because it threatened to leave. The state would have to work to make sure something moved into the old HQ so that Woonsocket wouldn't be left bereft.

Hello Vallon... I am very interested in all the discussions going on here. I think Providence as a city is ready for some of these questions. Recent news coverage at least is starting to ask some of these things, like Robin Amer's recent piece on the future of Pawtucket in the Phoenix.

I would say to anyone out there, online forums are a great place to get some of these ideas worked out, and if you want to reach a wider (maybe even non net) audience, there is a new fledgling weekly out there looking for submissions called the Agenda. The tagline is "word of mouth in print". It is a labor of love right now, but it is just starting in a little city with plenty of news reporting (the weekly Pheonix and daily Journal), following in the long distant footsteps of the Nice Paper.

For those interested, an email address subject to change is [email protected]. Include some sort of meaningful subject line.

Just a note: I do not work for the paper or make any money off of this post. I merely was getting some writing together myself for submission to it, and can clearly see that there are other people who could think about doing the same, probably much better than I could.

Good luck, and happy thinking.

Hello Vallon... I am very interested in all the discussions going on here. I think Providence as a city is ready for some of these questions. Recent news coverage at least is starting to ask some of these things, like Robin Amer's recent piece on the future of Pawtucket in the Phoenix.

I would say to anyone out there, online forums are a great place to get some of these ideas worked out, and if you want to reach a wider (maybe even non net) audience, there is a new fledgling weekly out there looking for submissions called the Agenda. The tagline is "word of mouth in print". It is a labor of love right now, but it is just starting in a little city with plenty of news reporting (the weekly Pheonix and daily Journal), following in the long distant footsteps of the Nice Paper.

For those interested, an email address subject to change is [email protected]. Include some sort of meaningful subject line.

Just a note: I do not work for the paper or make any money off of this post. I merely was getting some writing together myself for submission to it, and can clearly see that there are other people who could think about doing the same, probably much better than I could.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A.I.R. ... I sent you a private message. Looking forward to hearing back from you. :)

I just noticed something that's totally random - but somewhat related to this post. I just looked over my shoulder at the wall of my bedroom and noticed it resembles the Providence skyline. :lol:

Seriously though... on the left is a large dresser - very rigid/block shape. In the middle is a glass faced bookcase (currently holding cd's) with my Stereo sitting on top. The stereo/speakers cover most of the top of the bookcase... but not the entire length - which creates a tiered look. This is significantly shorter than the dresser to the left. Then on the right you have my tv stand. Tall and skinny with a VCR, TV and Candle all stacked and tiered up. Which resembles the shape of the old Industrial Trust Bldg.

lol... either I've been spending way too much time on this forum - or subliminally I was laying out my room like Downtown Providence and Kennedy Plaza... :rofl:

It's so bizarre... and the candle on top of the TV is just the right size for the light on top.

Bizarre... :lol:

Archived