Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

I did just find, though, that the trail money is actually not until the 2016 bonds, so I'm not sure why they kept listing "cross-Charlotte trail" in all the salesy paragraphs about the bonds.   

Here is the breakdown of the CIP budget by 2014 vs 2016 bonds:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/budget/documents/capital%20investment%20plan%20summary.pdf

Regardless, the next couple years will bring a major extension and planning details for the trail.  2017 seems to be the construction year for LSCG to 485.   That will come very quickly.  

Word in our local mountain biking association is that the trails off Tyvola around the water treatment plant (bet you didn't know there were 15+ miles of some of the best and most advanced trails in the area back there!) will be partially closed starting summer 2015 due to greenway construction, and those parts will be off limits for a couple of years. I imagine it might be environmental work more than actual construction but that's how it was worded to the trail coordinator. Anyway, sad for me in the short term, but obviously better in the long run and the trails will eventually be re-routed to fit in harmoniously with the greenway. 

• Like 2

Word in our local mountain biking association is that the trails off Tyvola around the water treatment plant (bet you didn't know there were 15+ miles of some of the best and most advanced trails in the area back there!) will be partially closed starting summer 2015 due to greenway construction, and those parts will be off limits for a couple of years. I imagine it might be environmental work more than actual construction but that's how it was worded to the trail coordinator. Anyway, sad for me in the short term, but obviously better in the long run and the trails will eventually be re-routed to fit in harmoniously with the greenway. 

My understanding, based on a notice from our HOA in Montclaire, was work on Tyvola - Archdale would start in Q1 2015 to extend Huntington Farms at least to Tyvola.  That is likely why it is shutting down.  I hope they are smart enough to include a little bridge over LSC over to Park Rd Park.

I hope they are smart enough to include a little bridge over LSC over to Park Rd Park.

They are. There are actually MTB trails in Park Rd Park too now, about 4 miles worth, and another 3 across Tyvola around the Marion Diehl center land, but they are completely disconnected from the "main" trail system centered around the water treatment facility and neighborhood. We're excited about that part being remedied as you'll be able to access it all from the greenway :)

• Like 2

I did just find, though, that the trail money is actually not until the 2016 bonds, so I'm not sure why they kept listing "cross-Charlotte trail" in all the salesy paragraphs about the bonds.   

Here is the breakdown of the CIP budget by 2014 vs 2016 bonds:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/budget/documents/capital%20investment%20plan%20summary.pdf

In the bonds that were just passed there was $5M for the Cross Charlotte trail. The money will mainly be used for Master Planning and Land Acquisition.

"This advancement ($5 million) would allow the city to begin master planning for the 26-mile portion within city limits, as well as design and land acquisition for city-funded connections at Cordelia Park and from Brandywine to Tyvola"

We are already in FY 2015...so now that the bonds have been passed they can budget the money for FY2016 which starts July 2015.

The link is the Capital Budget from FY2014...since then they have passed the FY2015 Capital plan which bumped up planning of the CLT Trail to the 2014 Bonds.

Edited by uptownliving

That's good.  I just assumed that stuff would continue through regular budgets and bonds would be floated for construction, which is mostly the case, but I'm glad they updated it so they can be truly ready with plans and land when it comes time in 2017 to build.   

I agree.  I'm surprised this was never even in the County's plan, but I'm glad the city is taking up the mantel.  As we have discussed before, it really is not hard to do with simple changes to the 7th St bridge, and a path through the greenspace behind M-Street.  It is such a no-brainer. 

• 2 months later...

I have been dreaming of a Bicycle greenway/freeway that utilizes the DOT right of way for Independence Blvd... I got wondering if this was even allowed, and found this today.  Specifically, I think that this could directly connect the Briar Creek Greenway to PM, and eventually on to Independance Park, and the Sugar Creek Greenway.

I think the tricky part there is making a freeway-adjacent path that's nice to use. I loath median transit stations because you're just sitting there in the middle of a roaring interstate. You'd have to do some significant beautifying and sound mediation to make any length of greenway nice to use.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is no chance that the transit lanes will be converted to a greenway trail, especially with the plans to turn them in to HOT lanes.

I do like the idea of threading the greenway through the interchange threading pedestrian bridge through the H supports under the freeway bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.221412,-80.830176,3a,39.5y,55.68h,87.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1snSi5fEGMinpbyWaaUS61Kg!2e0

Of course it is far cheaper to go around, but could be done.

Incidentally, I have always kind of seen this section of the creek a bit like a vagina.  Lol.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2231392,-80.8291778,303m/data=!3m1!1e3

It would be nice if there was a pedestrian bridge over that section of Independence. It's such a long distance to cross 74 if you live in between Pecan and Briar Creek. I think using one to reestablish a connection on Bascom would help with linking Commonwealth and Chantilly. Using that in conjunction with archiham's idea would also work very well.

It would be nice if there was a pedestrian bridge over that section of Independence. It's such a long distance to cross 74 if you live in between Pecan and Briar Creek. I think using one to reestablish a connection on Bascom would help with linking Commonwealth and Chantilly. Using that in conjunction with archiham's idea would also work very well.

It's a joke that Charlotte offers only one bridge (to my knowledge).  Every other city I visit, there are just piles of them everywhere (Raleigh for example).  We've got that one old run-down one that spans 77 in between Atando and 85 and that's it.  Not sure what our city has against pedestrian bridges but we can certainly use more.

It's a joke that Charlotte offers only one bridge (to my knowledge).  Every other city I visit, there are just piles of them everywhere (Raleigh for example).  We've got that one old run-down one that spans 77 in between Atando and 85 and that's it.  Not sure what our city has against pedestrian bridges but we can certainly use more.

The new Conference Drive overpass acts like a pedestrian bridge over Independence, but I still see people trying to cross Independence on foot, which scares me when I see it.

and that one has been fenced off and completely unused for more than a decade. Since it is all reinforced concrete modular construction they (City, County, CDOT, NCDOT????) really could pick it up and move it to where it would actually be used. (sez the non-engineer)

I'm not familiar with THAT many in Raleigh aside from the one crossing 440 near Wade Ave, and one crossing US 1 in Cary, but certainly there are more than here and those are both built in the last decade with greenway connectivity in mind. There does seem to be a stigma against them as crime attractors even in cities where there are more, and I can see Chantilly raising hell at the idea, for example, even though that is probably the most income-comparable divide where one would be useful. 

and that one has been fenced off and completely unused for more than a decade. Since it is all reinforced concrete modular construction they (City, County, CDOT, NCDOT????) really could pick it up and move it to where it would actually be used. (sez the non-engineer)

The ped bridge over 77 is NCDOT's bridge since it built with the interstate, and last I heard they were going to remove it at some point (presumably with a future widening project). That particular style of bridge is narrow (10ft wide) and confining with all of the fencing. It doesn't really feel safe to walk across something designed like that, and you couldn't have two-way bike traffic. I agree that more bridges would be ideal, but they need to be bigger and better. The greenway bridge over I-440 in Raleigh should be the minimum standard.

From Southpark thread:

InSouthPark, on 05 Feb 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:snapback.png

Speaking of that location, when is Camden Pinehurst going to demo those nasty apartments that is adjacent to this property?  That will quite the busy corner if the Camden project gets built, this gets built and if Strawberry Hill ever finishes their retail expansion.

I understand that Camden no longer owns this property.  Northwood Ravin owns it and is in the due diligence stage for a phased redevelopment.

^This parcel is adjacent to the McMullen Greenway.... hopefully the phased redevelopment will include greenway plans