Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

28 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

The greenway between Tyvola & Archdale that'll eventually connect to the Little Sugar Creek greenway is well under construction now.  They've got a decent amount of pavement laid down and are working on the connection to the other side of Archdale.  Glad to see this moving forward finally.

Also, this is a terrifically awesome little idea.  I love stuff like this:

IMG_4745-1-1068x801.jpg

http://www.charlottefive.com/story-behind-new-weird-structure-tryon-street-277/

Except this particular one is in the middle of the street. Good place for a pedestrian oriented thing

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

^ sensors are embedded in the bike lanes and there are ped counters on the sidewalk.  The newly paved portions in the photo show where the linkages went.. 

I just meant it's a cool thing to look at, but pedestrians will barely be able to see it since it's in the middle of the street 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

I just meant it's a cool thing to look at, but pedestrians will barely be able to see it since it's in the middle of the street 

Yep, I tried to walk over there to look at it and got sick of waiting for a safe time to sprint across.

35 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Maybe they're hoping it will pique the interest of drivers...?

Yeah, I think this is more to show drivers that X number of people are walking and driving and your lazy fat ass is driving.

To be clear, I don't think people driving in are lazy fatasses, they're just trying to show people that others are doing it and so can you.

Edited by Niner National

• 1 month later...

Found this little nugget in the siteplan for Camden Grandview Townhouses, a railtrail connection. But wait... the railtrail doesn't go that far. So this confirms the railtrail extension I've been hearing about. The question is... does it confirm the railtrail bridge over 277 I've been hearing about...

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 2.36.53 PM.png

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Rail Trail extension over 277 is fully funded and they will be selecting an engineer soon and plan on opening the bridge in 2021.

Man that's great news.  If they plan on opening 2021 then that means they're not planning on starting construction until 2020.  Bridge shouldn't take more than 8/9 months depending on the Contractor selected.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

2 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Man that's great news.  If they plan on opening 2021 then that means they're not planning on starting construction until 2020.  Bridge shouldn't take more than 8/9 months depending on the Contractor selected.

At least by Description by Michael Smith, its supposed to be more than a bridge. More like the highline, with activated spaces and special programming.

6 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Rail Trail extension over 277 is fully funded and they will be selecting an engineer soon and plan on opening the bridge in 2021.

Anyone know where this chunk of cash is coming from? Interested in role of CCCP here vs County parks dept.

Edited by kermit

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Yeah, werent the bonds for several chunks north of NoDa? What was the breakdown if supposed allocation?

Here is the Observer piece on the shortfall: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article224075085.html

The article makes the main issue sound like incompetent scoping,

Staff attributed the shortfall to costs that are significantly higher than when the project was originally estimated, with figures based on the county’s construction costs for portions outside the city....

City Manager Marcus Jones told council members that the shortfall in the funding sprang from costs the county provided for portions of greenways it had constructed, largely on undeveloped sites. But the city portion of the Cross Charlotte Trail will be much more costly, because it largely involves building in areas that are already developed.

I don't like rumblings that the city may pull the plug and use the $38 million on something else

“I think it’s a valid conversation to say we’ve got these bonds, here’s what we can do, but is it what we want to do?” she said. “Our money certainly isn’t going to go that far. It’s not.”

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1