Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

Look for the former ABC store to be demolished in the coming weeks. BTW, the new (replacement for Morehead) store is at the Corner of 3rd and Cherry.

:alc:

Nice use of the little beer buddies. Cheers to ya! :alc:

A little off topic, but I'm glad to see that ABC store coming down. It always striked me that it was in front of a hospital, and now the greatest portion of the hospital that has views of the ABC store is for children! I wasn't aware that this was going to be demolished and that the greenway would be extended that far over! That's great news. Is there going to be any road improvements for Morehead, as far as a bridge, etc. to support the expanded greenway going underwards? I'm trying to envision how it is now, but I'd imagine that it would be effected.

• 1 month later...

A few years ago, a group of city leaders, including CPCC President Tony Zeiss, came up with the idea of constructing a series of statues along the Sugar Creek Greenway of historical figures from Charlotte's past. I haven't heard much about it since then, but there was an article about it in the Observer a week or so ago. They seem well on their way to raising the money, so I guess it's an idea that will definitely happen. My question is, does anyone know what the timetable looks like for this project? I guess it would obviously have partly to do with when that portion of the greenway will be finished. Whenever it happens, I think it's a great idea. Like many others have said in the past, I don't think Charlotte has ever done a very good job of celebrating its history, and this seems like a very creative way to help contribute to that. I would appreciate any input people might have on this subject.

http://www.charlotte.com/157/story/357181.html

CPCC and the Greenway

Edited by CharlotteDave

Any way of capturing pieces of our history and celebrating it is a plus in my book. Art is a big part of any society, whether we're directly involved or interested with it or not. I think statues along the greenway isn't a bad eye, depending how they interact with the enviornment. Would be nice to see some type of stories written on various locations of the greenway so people that are there to just hang out or people that come for a visit have a little something to look forward and occupy their time on while relaxing on the greenway. Could be something of value for CMC, also, letting students be educated and take a field trip at the same time, have lunch on the greenway. Since this is still a work in progress, Charlotte has a huge window of opportunity to make the city and more particularly the greenway into something unique, something magical, something that it wants and can, where other cities don't always have that luxury due to space, opposition, funds, support, etc.

If you want to see the part that is next to be worked on and is currently having water lines installed over by the Met, the best place is probably parking at Wendy's or at the park across Kenilworth from where Charlottetown intersects.

If you want to see the portion that is already a greenway, you could park at the gas station on the corner of Kings Drive and Morehead or go down to Freedom Park's main entrance on East Blvd.

Better yet..... Ride your bike !!! It is the BEST way to see the entire Greenway from Park Rd Shopping Center to Kings Drive.

.......__o

.......\<,

....( )/ ( )...

If you want to see the part that is next to be worked on and is currently having water lines installed over by the Met, the best place is probably parking at Wendy's or at the park across Kenilworth from where Charlottetown intersects.

If you want to see the portion that is already a greenway, you could park at the gas station on the corner of Kings Drive and Morehead or go down to Freedom Park's main entrance on East Blvd.

Thanks for the tip, Raintree21. I visited both of those greenway areas today and was very impressed. The section behind the Park Rd. Shopping Center is absolutely beautiful. It was the first time I had seen any of the greenway. You never know if things like this will turn out to be overrated, but this was just the opposite. The vibrant looking plant life along the creek banks was very nice here in the middle of the winter and it was very soothing to just listen to the water at certain spots. Later I stoped at several places along the Kings Dr. part of the greenway, including one place that was probably the hospital you metioned. While that section is obviously a work in progress, it is also extremely impressive in terms of projecting what it will be like when fully complete. They seem to be well on their way though. I'm hoping maybe it will be finished sometime in the next six months or so, but I really have no idea.

Later, I may post some photos of what I saw today.

Thanks for the tip, Raintree21. I visited both of those greenway areas today and was very impressed. The section behind the Park Rd. Shopping Center is absolutely beautiful. It was the first time I had seen any of the greenway. You never know if things like this will turn out to be overrated, but this was just the opposite. The vibrant looking plant life along the creek banks was very nice here in the middle of the winter and it was very soothing to just listen to the water at certain spots. Later I stoped at several places along the Kings Dr. part of the greenway, including one place that was probably the hospital you metioned. While that section is obviously a work in progress, it is also extremely impressive in terms of projecting what it will be like when fully complete. They seem to be well on their way though. I'm hoping maybe it will be finished sometime in the next six months or so, but I really have no idea.

Later, I may post some photos of what I saw today.

Below are links to four images I took today of the Greenway. Two were taken behind the Park Rd. Shopping Center and the other two at the section they're currently working on around Kings Dr.

Greenwayphoto1

photo2

photo3

photo4

Today I got another look at the greenway from what is likely the best possible vantage point, looking down from the bridge across the street from the Home Depot - Target complex. I have to say, even at this stage of construction, it is a pretty dramatic view from there. It seems like that section is maybe a little wider swath than other parts of the greenway and one can sense that when it's complete it might have somewhat of a river look to it. Even with all the mud and construction, it looked sort of pretty on a glistening sunny day. From all I can gather, the timetable for completing that section of the Greenway is late 2009, but it seems clear that parts of it will be great to look at long before that.

Greenway1

Greenway2

Greenway3

Wonderful photos Dave. I just rode by there today on the way to Target and was able to get a quick glimpse of the greenway construction. My friend, who was driving, wasn't able to take his eyes off the road long enough to see what I was ohhing and ahhing about so now I can just show him your photos. :P

I am curious what the large dirt mounds are for on the Kings Dr section (near the Dunkin Donuts). Is that to be hauled away or are they going to create a new terrain with small hilly burns to block traffic noise.

Wonderful photos Dave. I just rode by there today on the way to Target and was able to get a quick glimpse of the greenway construction. My friend, who was driving, wasn't able to take his eyes off the road long enough to see what I was ohhing and ahhing about so now I can just show him your photos. :P

I am curious what the large dirt mounds are for on the Kings Dr section (near the Dunkin Donuts). Is that to be hauled away or are they going to create a new terrain with small hilly burns to block traffic noise.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the dirt mounds. I did forget to mention earlier that they haven't started work yet on the other side of the bridge as people can see in the image below. Although I would think so, I'm not sure if that side of the bridge is part of the current phase of the project.

the other side

To note from CharlotteDave's photos, which I had saw a week or two ago and forgot to mention, they are moving the greenway over some, to make room for the expansion for Metropolitian, that earlier in that thread was being tossed around whether there would be enough room to make the patio/deck area outside of the retail. Well here's our answer...

Today I walked from the upper parking lot at CPCC and followed the future greenway route all the way down to the part that goes behind the Home Depot -Target Center and eventually most of the way down Kings Drive. That included a stretch that goes past the grounds of the Vietnam Memorial. All I can say is that the potential of this thing is staggering. The overall layout of the route is just very impressive. When I got to the bridge across the street from the Home Depot - Target, I noticed something different from just a few days ago when I was there and posted the images. Now, they've started rerouting another part of the creek, this time the part almost directly below the bridge. They had a big pile of dirt right in the middle of the water at that point and were draining water from that part of the creek and spitting it out further down the creek.

photo of new construction

the creek next to parking lot at CPCC

Today I walked from the upper parking lot at CPCC and followed the future greenway route all the way down to the part that goes behind the Home Depot -Target Center and eventually most of the way down Kings Drive. That included a stretch that goes past the grounds of the Vietnam Memorial. All I can say is that the potential of this thing is staggering. The overall layout of the route is just very impressive. When I got to the bridge across the street from the Home Depot - Target, I noticed something different from just a few days ago when I was there and posted the images. Now, they've started rerouting another part of the creek, this time the part almost directly below the bridge. They had a big pile of dirt right in the middle of the water at that point and were draining water from that part of the creek and spitting it out further down the creek.

CharlotteDave, I think you are referring to the section in front of the Metropolitan, that I had commented in that thread earlier. I think this was a blooper on someones part and that dirt was patchwork, in order to complete the nice patio/fountain area fronting on the Metropolitan.

Edited by Andyc545

• 1 month later...

Looking at the buildings in the background I would have to agree. Obviously the skyline is behind the statue so it is a west/northwest view. In the left corner is the Mecklenburg County Courthouse which is on the corner of McDowell and 4th and Jail Central is just to the right of it. The only thing missing is the drop in elevation to show Sugar Creek or any of the greenway.

Came across a rendering of The Spirit of Mecklenburg which will be placed in the Greenway near the intersection of 4th and Kings. This statue of Captain Jack delivering the Meck Dec to the Continental Congress on his horse will be 1.5 times life size. It is being donated by the May 20th Society.

It looks pretty impressive, although I had the idea for some reason that it might be even bigger. It is definitely a good idea, though, and a worthy subject for a monument. Regardless of the controversy about which document Captain Jack carried to Philadelphia, it was a dramatic and impressive story. Hopefully it will help to make more people aware of Charlotte's impressive early history.

I just saw the replay of last week's county commission meetings when they donated the Captain Jack sculpture. Towards the end of the presentation, they said they hoped to have the sculpture ready for the opening of the greenway in spring to summer of 2009. To me that was good news, a little sooner than I had expected. It must mean they're ready to start work on some of the other sections any time now, if they haven't already.