Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

I know for a long time Meck Co hit a snag with building that section of Greenway in Belmont under the railroad tracks because the railroad company would not give them right of way to build the path...and then when they did start construction there was some erosion of the embankment which the railroad blaimed on Meck Co and I think that went to court where it was determined that Meck Co was not responsible for the erosion of the railroad embankment. That tiny section of greenway has been one problem after another but I'm looking forward to having it done...and also the new playing fields they are building in Alexander Park will be a nice add too.

I know for a long time Meck Co hit a snag with building that section of Greenway in Belmont under the railroad tracks because the railroad company would not give them right of way to build the path...and then when they did start construction there was some erosion of the embankment which the railroad blaimed on Meck Co and I think that went to court where it was determined that Meck Co was not responsible for the erosion of the railroad embankment. That tiny section of greenway has been one problem after another but I'm looking forward to having it done...and also the new playing fields they are building in Alexander Park will be a nice add too.

Oh yeah, the playing fields. I don't know the outcome of this yet, but most of the City land that was slated for those playing fields is now pegged for the expansion of the CATS paratransit garage. There will still be fields, but not quite the destination I think everyone had in mind. I haven't looked to see the outcome of the rezoning. I wish CATS would have just built over the Caldwell/12th St. lot (bus parking lot) instead of taking MORE land.

The segment of the LSC Greenway between Belmont and Alexander Park is now open. I've been looking forward to this connecting for years!!! Now for some work to happen at Alexander Park and Siegle Point...

This is entering from Belmont Ave toward Alexander Park.

LSC6.jpg

A little further in (the creek is to the left and looks like it's pretty clean and in okay shape) sorry about the blur.

LSC7.jpg

Now you cross over a smaller portion of the creek, although the main creek is still to your left.

LSC5.jpg

Now you're under the railroad bridge (with a covered section to protect you from trains above) looking back at the same bridge.

LSC4.jpg

Keeping moving forward, but looking back still (last photo was from under that covered section).

LSC2.jpg

Same thing:

LSC1.jpg

Now turn back around and you're in Alexander Park.

LSCAlexpark2.jpg

Try not to wake up the homeless folks sleeping in the park. Keep moving, you'll be okay.

LSCAlexpark.jpg

even though a greenway isn't where i most want to see it, i only wish it were better graffiti.

Indeed. Charlotte has too many no-talent hacks when it comes to graffiti. A nice mural or creative scene would look cool. Unfortunately, most of our city's taggers do good to just be able to spell their own name correctly.

Oh yeah, the playing fields. I don't know the outcome of this yet, but most of the City land that was slated for those playing fields is now pegged for the expansion of the CATS paratransit garage. There will still be fields, but not quite the destination I think everyone had in mind. I haven't looked to see the outcome of the rezoning. I wish CATS would have just built over the Caldwell/12th St. lot (bus parking lot) instead of taking MORE land.

CATS is acting as if they already have this land and they are holding meetings to discuss their plans, but they never went to the public to discuss changing this land from green space to the CATS building. In the Belmont Revitalization Plan that the city adopted, this space is allocated as green space. The petition hearing is June 15th at 5:45pm, petition number 2009-039. If you would prefer that the space stay green, then please go to the hearing and say so.

Another point is that Trinity School is actually the one that would be paying to put in the playing field--their plan is for a baseball field. Regardless of the CATS petition outcome, they are still going to put in a soccer field, 2 basketball half-courts, and rearrange and improve the current park and shelter. Trinity will have first use of the fields, which would mostly be during weekday school hours, otherwise they would be open to the public.

CATS is acting as if they already have this land and they are holding meetings to discuss their plans, but they never went to the public to discuss changing this land from green space to the CATS building. In the Belmont Revitalization Plan that the city adopted, this space is allocated as green space. The petition hearing is June 15th at 5:45pm, petition number 2009-039. If you would prefer that the space stay green, then please go to the hearing and say so.

Another point is that Trinity School is actually the one that would be paying to put in the playing field--their plan is for a baseball field. Regardless of the CATS petition outcome, they are still going to put in a soccer field, 2 basketball half-courts, and rearrange and improve the current park and shelter. Trinity will have first use of the fields, which would mostly be during weekday school hours, otherwise they would be open to the public.

Actually, this came up before the NoDa Neighborhood Association - and both CATS and Trinity presented - it was VERY awkward. Both parties tried to remain cordial about it, but you could tell they didn't want anything to do with each other. NoDa chose not to give an opinion on the rezoning and defer to Belmont.

I think CATS is on the wrong site with this thing - but it is already city land, money is in hand from stimulus dollars, I don't see any way this thing doesn't go through. Too bad though.

At I-485/South Blvd, the school is uphill from the station, making for a great rooftop opportunity for those playing fields. Unfortunately at this location, the greenway and playing fields are downhill from CATS.

However, I personally believe CATS should sell all their land along 12th Street. These three blocks have views of Uptown and better bridge Optimist Park with First Ward. CATS could either relocate and expand facilities at other nearby in-town City-owned sites, such as the yards along Ott Street or use the sale to purchase the intermodal yard along North Brevard Street.

Yes, they both presented at Villa Heights Community meetings also, but in separate meetings. This land is owned by the county. The problem is that none of the surrounding neighborhoods were contacted BEFORE the county and CATS made this deal to give CATS use of that land. Yes, CATS is having meetings now to discuss what they plan to put there, but there were no public meetings before. Also the stimulus money must be used for projects that can begin immediately and is being used to enhance their current structures off N Davidson--it does not apply to this potential new structure. The other concern is that CATS will outgrow their buildings, even with the new structure, in a few years. What will they do then? Abandon this and move somewhere else? CATS brushed this question off when we asked it.

I don't really care whether Trinity gets to use the land or not. I would be perfectly happy for it to stay open green space but if Trinity is offering to pay to put in a baseball field that the public can use, why not let them? It would certainly be nicer to have that by the greenway than a CATS parking deck.

So I noticed they did the sidewalks in asphalt in the connector under the tracks, and asphalt sidewalks are everywhere now near the Pearle bridge in Midtown. What gives!? Is this just temporary or is that the new standard for

In the LSCG master plan, it lists asphalt as the preferred material, except in urban areas, where concrete or pavers are preferred. Page 3 here: http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eppw2...rPlanDesign.pdf

I will be disappointed if that remains. Asphalt as a sidewalk material on such a busy urban section is very tacky in my view. It looks temporary and cheap.

Seeing as the new sidewalks by the Duke substation (a more permanent land use) and CPCC are concrete, I imagine your hunch is right about the ones by Pearl Park Way awaiting redevelopment.

And while asphalt seems less permanent, it is preferred to concrete by cyclists for a smoother ride, since concrete requires panels with joints.

Edited by southslider

yeah i would prefer a majority of asphalt as a biker (if i should take my road hybrid down there anyway), and i'm sure the roller bladers and skateboarders would appreciate it even more. i don't mind that asphalt will tend to look less designed, especially in a natural area. any junctions or gathering areas done in concrete or stone would make sense to me though.

So I noticed they did the sidewalks in asphalt in the connector under the tracks, and asphalt sidewalks are everywhere now near the Pearle bridge in Midtown. What gives!? Is this just temporary or is that the new standard for

In the LSCG master plan, it lists asphalt as the preferred material, except in urban areas, where concrete or pavers are preferred. Page 3 here: http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eppw2...rPlanDesign.pdf

I will be disappointed if that remains. Asphalt as a sidewalk material on such a busy urban section is very tacky in my view. It looks temporary and cheap.

The asphalt sidewalks are temporary... but expect them to hang around a while before concrete is installed.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry to have to report some bad news about the Sugar Creek Greenway. Today I recieved an e-mail from Gwen Cook, Greenway Planner for Park and Rec, who told me they've run into a major snag with NCDOT. She said they're in the process of working through it, but it has delayed their ability to advertise and bid the Charlottetowne to Elizabeth stretch and has delayed construction of the underpass at Morehead Street. She said they still hope to open all sections in 2010, but now it will probably be later in the year than the Spring to Summer opening they had hoped for. She didn't mention when the Metropolitan - Kings Drive stretch would open, but looking at it the other day it was hard to see how it could be ready by September like had be predicted a couple months ago. On a positive note, they've started work on the Captain Jack Plaza, so it looks like at least that part might be on schedule for a May 20th unveiling next Spring.

• 2 months later...

I have some new updates on the Sugar Creek Greenway from Greenway Planner, Gwen Cook. The news continues to be pretty frustrating, but not all bad, at least better than many of the projects around town that have been delayed indefinitely. They continue to have issues with the DOT, to the point that now the Charlottetowne to Elizabeth stretch isn't expected to be ready until Feburary of 2011. The stretch from Pearl Park Way to Morehead isn't expected to be ready until May. On the positive side, they plan to open the short stretch from the Metropolitan to Pearl Park Way this November. Also, she tells me that the Captain Jack Plaza is still on schedule to be unveiled this coming May. She says she has heard that Captain Jack is really big. Below I've included the detailed schedule she sent me, which she said is fluid. It is a shame there have been so many delays, but at least there will be a couple nice attractions to look forward to next Spring: the Captain Jack Plaza and by then, the entire stretch from the Metropolitan to Morehead.

Little Sugar Creek Greenway Construction Status

Kings Drive (Pearl Park Way to Morehead): Under construction, Anticipated completion date May 2010

Midtown (Charlottetowne to Pearl Park Way): Under construction, Anticipated completion date November 2009

*The Gap (section of trail between Pearl Park Way and Old Baxter St): Not yet under construction. This section will not be completed until May 2010

*Elizabeth Ave. to Charlottetowne: Not yet under construction. Anticipated completion date estimated February 2011

*7th Street to Elizabeth: Phase I (CPCC culinary art building and Duke Power) -- Under construction. Anticipated completion date Oct 2009

*Phase II (gap between CPCC and Duke Power) -- Not yet under construction

Belmont Ave. to 12th Street (CSX): Construction complete

*Alexander St. Park to 7th St: Not yet under construction

*The construction schedule and ultimate build out of portions of current projects are funding dependent. The debt diet the County encountered in February of this year put several projects on hold. Construction will be dependent on those funds being activated.

*7th Street to Elizabeth: Phase I (CPCC culinary art building and Duke Power) -- Under construction. Anticipated completion date Oct 2009

*Phase II (gap between CPCC and Duke Power) -- Not yet under construction

I rode this section on my bike today....so it is open now. Not really much of a "greenway" since you are right next to 277...but for bikers coming from downtown on 7th St it provides a nice cut through under Kings Drive to the CPCC campus (and onward to Elizabeth)

The Phase II is basically putting in a sidewalk through the CPCC parking lot...so even though it is technically not there. you can still walk/ and or bike it pretty easily.

• 2 weeks later...