Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

Will the greenway pass BELOW the bridges at Charlottetown, and at Pearl Park Way?

Yes on Charlottetown, possibly on Pearl Park Way.

Some photos from Monday:

4028630875_359eaf8a7d_o.jpg

From the Charlottetown bridge:

4029385990_131e4c1b74_o.jpg

4028630771_3de0dc53b6_o.jpg

The section between Midtown and Morehead will really be more like a part than just a greenway:

4029386328_5305fc9320_o.jpg

One of the fountains/pools alongside Kings Dr:

4028630985_6a406d77c1_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

When will the section between Charlottetowne and Elizabeth start construction? I saw a previous post say it was to be completed by 2011.

I last conversed with Gwen Cook about a month and a half ago and asked her the same question. She said they were still having problems with DOT but she was optimistic they were on the verge of getting things worked out. She indicated that if they got things ironed out quickly enough, they might have a chance to finish Charlottetowne to Elizabeth by late 2010 rather than Feburary 2011. Based on that timetable, one would think they would need to get started sometime fairly early in 2010, but I don't know for sure what the plan is. I just hope they finally have the go ahead from DOT. The original plan was to have the entire project completed by spring of 2010, so things have had to be delayed quite a bit.

^NCDOT or CDOT? Given the pedestrian refuge island going in on Kings at Baldwin, CDOT would appear to work well with County Park & Rec. I'm guessing it's more likely NCDOT. 3rd and 4th Streets are State routes, just like Morehead. At Morehead near Kings, NCDOT has delayed Park & Rec plans to add an underpass and connect the new greenway with the Liz Hair Nature Walk by CMC.

^NCDOT or CDOT? Given the pedestrian refuge island going in on Kings at Baldwin, CDOT would appear to work well with County Park & Rec. I'm guessing it's more likely NCDOT. 3rd and 4th Streets are State routes, just like Morehead. At Morehead near Kings, NCDOT has delayed Park & Rec plans to add an underpass and connect the new greenway with the Liz Hair Nature Walk by CMC.

You're right, it was NCDOT that Gwen Cook was talking about. I last conversed with her on November 20th and below are her brief comments on the situation at that time.

From Gwen Cook:

We have not yet been able to attain NCDOT approval for either the Morehead St underpass (our greatest challenge) or the section from Elizabeth Avenue to Charlottetowne Ave. We will bid the latter as soon as we get approval and that approval appears to be getting closer. We are still hoping to be able to bid in December but just can’t be sure. If we are successful, a late fall 2010 opening may be achievable.

The Morehead St underpass remains a challenge for us. We will continue to work with NCDOT because this underpass is critical to the connectivity of the greenway system.

A view of the Creekside plaza area:

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

Edited by CharlotteDave

It is urban, I saw gas stations in Chelsea (just kidding lol).

It has surprised me how this stretch of King's has not seen any redevelopment, although the shopping centers with Melting Pot and Mama Ricotta's respectively are more or less semi-urban as the buildings are not set back to far and most of the parking is around back. But I hope that the completion of this park-like stretch of greenway and the eventual rebound of the economy will bring about some better development along here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Charlotte Culture Guide is reporting that the Spirit of Mecklenburg statue will be dedicated (on time) May 20. Happy Meck Deck Day.

I drove by the site today and it looks like the statue is already there but with a covering over it. They were working on the base or pedestal of the statue. They're certainly leaving the rest of the work, the landscaping and paving, etc, to the last minute, but I guess they'll have it ready two weeks from now. I'm anxious to see what it looks like in its natural environment and whether it has any sort of dramatic presence. If nothing else, this statue should serve as a reminder that Charlotte has been around a long time and that a lot of interesting things were going on here in those early days of our country. Regardless of the controversy surrounding Mec Dec, no one questions the Captain Jack part of the story. It's just a question of whether the document he delivered to the Continental Congress in Philadelphia was Mec Dec, the Mecklenburg Resolves, or both. In either event, it was a dramatic moment in our history and Captain Jack is well deserving of this honor.

In other greenway related news, it's obvious they won't be able to complete the Kings Dr. portion of the greenway this month like they had planned. The slowness of this project has been baffling. That said, though, there are some definite signs of progress: I'm sure some have noticed the good sized trees they've starting planting along the street the last couple weeks and they've also started work on the clock tower. I can only guess when that portion of the greenway might be finished, perhaps mid June to early July?

^I heard late summer/early fall of this year. One holdup has been the bridge underpasses for the shared-use path. But I also heard NCDOT finally approved going under Morehead.

You may be right about the late summer/early fall thing. I recall reading something about the official grand opening being around that time, but I figured they might have a so called soft opening before that for people who want to walk on it or maybe enjoy the creekside plaza.

• 2 months later...

I drive past the brand-new clock tower at the intersection of Morehead/Queens & King every day to and from work, and they have finally started filling in the clock faces. The structure has taken quite a while to be built (it has an incredibly sturdy steel frame - at 1st glance, it looked like they were erecting a tower crane, and then, I was hoping it would at least have some kind of water feature to it)! I was wondering if anyone else sees it as askew, especially from the vantage point of Queens/Morehead heading West? Is this art, and is it level?!!? Thanks!

I don't think any construction has occured under Morehead. NCDOT is probably covering it's eyes and ears going LALALALALA until a couple of pedestrians get run down crossing at that location.

The stretch that will open is from Morehead to Pearl Street (Pearl to Charlottetown has been open for a while now)