Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

2 hours ago, Desert Power said:

I want to punch whoever decided to do that at such an odd angle.  

I mean there isn't another road to utilize for that crossing. Hopefully its only a few year fix until the federal government actually doles out urban infrastructure projects or there is enough demand on the trail to find local funding for a marquee bridge. 

17 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I mean there isn't another road to utilize for that crossing. Hopefully its only a few year fix until the federal government actually doles out urban infrastructure projects or there is enough demand on the trail to find local funding for a marquee bridge. 

I was joking about the odd orientation of the map.

Question that I can't seem to answer from the picture provided: since this utilizes more than one "type" of path, and is an important connector, will there be any sort of signage or purposeful art that indicates the sidewalk over Central and the Prospect portion are more than just sidewalks?

I mostly ask since when it's finished, newcomers to Charlotte that don't know better may benefit from something that points to how the two segments aren't interrupted. Maybe painted pavers if there's not enough room for signs at those turns?

17 hours ago, jole said:

FYI - Coverage in today's paper re alternative to uptown pedestrian bridge connector "Called the Seventh Street to 10th Street segment, the project will close a gap in the Little Sugar Creek Greenway, the county’s portion of the city-county partnership, that lies between Seventh Street and Greenway Crescent Lane near 12th Street" Est completion: 2022

Attachment with no description

WOW , That is going to be a tight fit! I would not want to be the pedestrian on the East side of the bridge with a reduced 4.5' sidewalk next to a reduced (and very tight for Charlotte) 10 foot car lane.  It would probably be better just to eliminate that sidewalk altogether.

EDIT ADDED:  I also think they should construct a 7th st underpass.  I realize it might get torn out by the "Signature Bridge", but who knows if the signature bridge will ever happen?

Edited by archiham04

40 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

WOW , That is going to be a tight fit! I would not want to be the pedestrian on the East side of the bridge with a reduced 4.5' sidewalk next to a reduced (and very tight for Charlotte) 10 foot car lane.  It would probably be better just to eliminate that sidewalk altogether.

EDIT ADDED:  I also think they should construct a 7th st underpass.  I realize it might get torn out by the "Signature Bridge", but who knows if the signature bridge will ever happen?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the image of Central's new lanes are 'flipped', that is to say, the sidewalk that functions as Greenway abuts the (protected) bike Lanes and not the car lanes.

On 6/25/2019 at 10:34 AM, Eightane said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the image of Central's new lanes are 'flipped', that is to say, the sidewalk that functions as Greenway abuts the (protected) bike Lanes and not the car lanes.

The way I read it, the Central Ave Section show a 4.5' sidewalk on either side of the street.  One sidewalk is buffered from car traffic by a protected bike lane.  The other is not.  The one that is not is the one that will be terrifying to traverse.  I am imagining being pinned in between a 10 foot traffic lane (which has the most frequent bus service in the city) and a 40 foot drop into 70mph traffic on a 4.5' foot chunk of concrete.

• Like 1

^I think they are 5 feet, but either way neither 5 nor 4.5 is really wide enough for a comfortable walk especially with a back of curb sidewalk.  The proposed condition will be much worse with a 10 foot travel lane adjacent.  Currently the outer lane is wider than the inner, and vehicle essentially have a  buffer from the sidewalk built into that lane.  

Edited by archiham04

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

While we came in at 22 out of 62 in WalletHub’s Best Big Cities to Live in, we came in dead last for walking and next to last for biking.

8CFEC72F-ACCC-41AB-AD4D-56BA142BC465.jpeg.34ece9efb32c8bbfe21b62d4d0216e6e.jpeg

See I just will never understand how they come up with this. It’s pure nonsense. I walk around all the time. How is LA not the absolute worst for walking? My hometown of Cleveland SUCKS for walking. All any tourists in Nashville do is walk...and it’s that low? Just stupid. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

See I just will never understand how they come up with this. It’s pure nonsense. I walk around all the time. How is LA not the absolute worst for walking? My hometown of Cleveland SUCKS for walking. All any tourists in Nashville do is walk...and it’s that low? Just stupid. 

Yeah, I don’t know how they determine these scores. I know we have room for improvement given the number of pedestrian deaths we’ve had, but I was surprised to see us dead last on the list for walking. Uptown and the surrounding neighborhoods seem pretty walkable to me (especially with the rail trail), but maybe they factored in the entire city since some places lack sidewalks?

• Like 1

I like looking at the methodology for these score places...

WalkScore is nothing more then a glorified pop-density map with a fancy title.

Walk Score measures the walkability of any address using a patented system. For each address, Walk Score analyzes hundreds of walking routes to nearby amenities. Points are awarded based on the distance to amenities in each category. Amenities within a 5 minute walk (.25 miles) are given maximum points. A decay function is used to give points to more distant amenities, with no points given after a 30 minute walk.

Source: https://www.walkscore.com/methodology.shtml

4 hours ago, Jayvee said:

All I’m saying is I’ve Been to plenty of cities that are way less walkable (urban core and beyond) than CLT. It’s just crazy 

I think they're probably using city limits data and there is a ton of suburban and even rural land within clts city limits. I'm guessing that's what really dragged CLT down. 

• Like 1