Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

• 2 months later...

Looked to me like XCLT began work this weekend (clearing a construction path on Woodlawn by the Taco Bell, possibly to hit a September start date?) on the Brandywine to Tyvola section.  This is, from what I understand, the last section needed to be able to walk/bike/rollerblade/scooter from I-485 in Pineville to Independence Blvd.  

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/XCLTBrandywineTyvola.aspx

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

Looked to me like XCLT began work this weekend (clearing a construction path on Woodlawn by the Taco Bell, possibly to hit a September start date?) on the Brandywine to Tyvola section.  This is, from what I understand, the last section needed to be able to walk/bike/rollerblade/scooter from I-485 in Pineville to Independence Blvd.  

There have been some new marking stakes added at the end of the Tyvola section in the past few weeks.  I wasn't home this weekend so I am not sure if any construction has started there yet but I will take a look on my next run.   Hopefully they plow this path quickly!  Based on the amount of retaining walls this section will require, I won't hold my breath. 

When it opens in 2021 or so, the marshy section in Pineville to SC and the connector east to McMullen Creek Greenway is also to be done.   

I can't wait for an so much mileage being done, and then all eyes will be on the XCLT between Cordelia and Rocky River.

• Like 1

All the talk about the sales tax on the ballot this fall always talks about the arts funding, but seemingly left out is the additional cash for greenways & parks. While not the perfect solution, they need as much land acquisition money as they can find.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:32 PM, dubone said:

When it opens in 2021 or so, the marshy section in Pineville to SC and the connector east to McMullen Creek Greenway is also to be done.   

I can't wait for an so much mileage being done, and then all eyes will be on the XCLT between Cordelia and Rocky River.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the whole South Charlotte section  being done any time soon.  I have run on  the "trail" from the end of the greenway at 485, back behind Home Depot and Best Buy and as of a few weeks ago, there  was zero work done.   Maybe they are working from the other side but considering there is a construction entrance built at the 485 from the existing greenway....

I don't really hold my breath for more than 30 seconds when I'm fighting the hiccups.  But I also know that funded construction projects can be completed in 2-3 years because people are being paid to do the work.    The 485 to Polk homestead is under construction now, and Polk to SC will start construction next summer.   Most of these greenway projects take 1-1.5 years during the construction phase.   

The real complaint I have is when the "leaders" planning the budget have starved the other greenway projects in the city of funding, and further yet decimated a handful of greenway projects to pay for the absurd shoulder lanes of 77 as part of the political BS stemming from north Meck mad about having to pay tolls.  

LSCG waited for decades for this funding and now it is the final process of actually completing the work.  The rest of the system may wait forever if they keep canceling funding for interstate system. 

• Like 3

Update on the greenway from 485 to Polk site:  clearing of trees has begun.  

Its a very rough clearing but it's a start.  That section behind Home Depot doesn't have a nice sewer line clearing like a lot of greenway work so expect a lot of work to need to be done to get it ready for pavement.   Good thing is there is no sugar creek bridge crossings, only a couple small streams / drainage ditches. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ajfunder said:

Came off the Little Sugar Creek today for a pleasent suprise. A new cycle track that connects the trail under I-277 and into 1st Ward. Somehow I missed this one, I new about closing the gap over Independence but not about this connection. 

Snapchat-1661031709.jpg

This spot is great and if they added a lane on McDowell it would be fully connected to the rest of the greenway via 7th street bridge. Its only like 2.5 blocks that need to be turned into a bike lane

1 hour ago, JHart said:

This spot is great and if they added a lane on McDowell it would be fully connected to the rest of the greenway via 7th street bridge. Its only like 2.5 blocks that need to be turned into a bike lane

I never quite understood why they didn't do the McDowell route, to connect, especially now that 7th has the cycle track and how close the 10th/12th track is to McDowell.    But I suppose adding the bike lanes to the Central Ave bridge and the route east of 277 is fine.  But McDowell always seemed a no brainer, and I'm sure people will chose it to connect, even if the other route is built out. 

Not only is that section of Mcdowell quiet enough to absorb bike lanes, but  there is also grassy ROW near 10th and Mcdowell that could be a nice side path. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

From today's (10/11/2019)  The Charlotte Ledger - "Dilworth greenway (Little Sugar Creek)  to close for widening"

"County officials tell the Ledger that the Little Sugar Creek Greenway between East Boulevard and Morehead Street will be closed at some point in the future as part of Atrium Health’s planned overhaul of its Carolinas Medical Center campus." ...  "But the good news is that Atrium is also planning some big improvements to that section of the greenway.  Plans filed with the city call for adding a connecting ramp to East Boulevard, a trailhead to Lombardy Circle, three access points from CMC, shifting portions of the trail, building new retaining walls and — maybe the biggest upgrade of them all — widening that section of greenway to 16 feet." ... "In July, Atrium submitted a rezoning application for 71 acres that would allow an expansion of its main Dilworth campus.  The Biz Journal reported in August that the filing would “allow a health institution, professional and medical offices, nursing homes, rest homes and homes for the aged, a medical college and/or nursing school, hotels [and] residential units.”  ...  "A county spokesman tells the Ledger it has seen no construction schedule but has asked that Atrium provide a detour when the greenway closes." ...  "Nobody is offering a timeline, but assuming the rezoning is approved by early next year, construction could start sometime in 2020.  Atrium’s entire project would likely take years, but plans indicate the greenway work might take place toward the beginning."

Link:  https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?pli=1#inbox/WhctKJVZrWQDZlxsRLzddLvBlRVGhrHwHVrWzlqBThKpNjlpDbGDGXJrhJBClvnvBgQQSsB

That section is one of the worst with the trashy railroad tie retaining walls that are falling apart, small greenway, tiny 90 degree low bridges, etc but it will be a shame that they close this section for what would likely be years.  Its always nice to roll by there too with the 18000 employees and patients smoking up a storm and for some reason, there seems to be a large number of "odd/crazy" individuals on that stretch.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...