Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

• 4 weeks later...

2 hours ago, a2theb said:

For those who are not aware, Stewart Creek greenway is closed from Litaker/Walnut to Freedom until April. Looks like the recent rain eroded the support for some sewage lines and they collapsed into the creek.

That's my running trail :(

I was able to get past the fence down there this weekend (thought it was related to Duke clearing brush under the power lines near Litaker/Walnut), but came across some workers and they kindly sent me back the other way. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Little Sugar Creek greenway from Burnt Mill Rd to Huntingtowne Park has been closed for a yearlong improvement.  Widening of greenway, creek remediation and new bridge to Starmount are all part of this construction.  Fences are already up preventing access.   Huge bummer for me as I walk/run that section almost daily but it was very needed.   Haven't seen much recent progress on the section just north of Tyvola.   That section is going to require a LOT of retaining walls, especially around Lucky Lou's at Park and Selywn. 

Anyone check out the progress south of 485 to Polk?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, kermit said:

So this thread:

In my neck of the woods sidewalks are crowded and there is a nearly constant stream of bikers (and rollerbladers) in the street.  

Pretty sure this is just irresponsible, but more parks are still a good thing! If people were going to the park to go on a walk with their household, that's one thing. The bad behavior is multiple households interacting at the park. People aren't distancing... they are clustering with strangers (pickup games) and friends that live in other households. You could make the park a million acres and these people would be clustered together shoulder to shoulder. 

"Oh but I'm not going to get it from my group of friends. They totally don't have the coronavirus"..... said every person that's gone to a party with friends that has become an outbreak hot spot.

Dude (on left) touching his face after touching a basketball that is being passed around to 8 other people who are sweating and likely to touch their face.

Stay-at-home-order-charlotte-freedom-park-1-small-1.jpg

Stay-at-home-order-charlotte-freedom-park-6-small.jpg

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has there ever been any conversation in Charlotte about beautifying and building a trail around the Reservoir?  It is an amenity that is almost treated like a blight that needs to be hidden.  

The reservoirs in two of the places I've lived -- Chestnut Hill, MA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut_Hill_Reservoir) and NYC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Kennedy_Onassis_Reservoir) -- are both cherished community assets.  

We have a serious shortage of parks and trails and this feels like something that would be relatively easy to turn from eyesore into cultural attraction.   Especially for a city without much water, this feels like an opportune way to incorporate water into our park space as we look to address our parks problem.

For people who haven't been, the surrounding neighborhood has a lot of industrial sites close by, but it is pretty close to center city with incredible views of the skyline over the water (but without so much as a sidewalk on the side that would allow for this view).

Mountain Island Lake is our water intake location for Charlotte and thus equivalent to our reservoir. All the chain of Catawba lakes includes a 100 foot control strip for Duke to preserve and protect riparian shoreline. Most of this 100 foot area is private land and beyond the 100 foot area is all private land. I see no way for such a project.

Are you thinking of some other place as our "reservoir"?

2 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Mountain Island Lake is our water intake location for Charlotte and thus equivalent to our reservoir. All the chain of Catawba lakes includes a 100 foot control strip for Duke to preserve and protect riparian shoreline. Most of this 100 foot area is private land and beyond the 100 foot area is all private land. I see no way for such a project.

Are you thinking of some other place as our "reservoir"?

The tough things for those reservoirs is being in such an industrial area.. Most residents of 28216 zip code aren't very far from Latta Plantation and walking along Mountain Island Lake. If given the choice between a drive to Latta to go on a walk or a drive to these Reservoirs, Latta will win out for most people. Those reservoirs don't really become viable until the whole neighborhood becomes a pleasant place to walk and the industrial uses would have to move out. Since it isn't walking distance to many homes, it has to be a "destination" park to get people to drive to it, but it just won't have the amenities or size to be a destination like Latta without a complete overhaul of the entire industrial area.

That is the Vest Treatment Plant. Click on item #2 on this site "water treatment" and you will see what is involved. This is all within the treatment facility and there is no way our public water source would allow random ramblings in that perimeter. It is on high ground as all water supply systems must be in order to use gravity for supply.

https://charlottenc.gov/Water/Education/Pages/Journey.aspx

We are very fortunate that we have a remarkably stable and robust water supply in the Catawba River. The headwaters lie in Watauga County and close to Asheville  and drain much of western North Carolina, following a drainage south to Shelby and Mooresville and then south to South Carolina. The abundant rain and snowfall over this entire region and the lack of cities anywhere the size of Charlotte allow us to benefit. For comparison, Raleigh uses Falls Lake for water and their watershed is from Roxboro to Hillsborough and skirts Durham. A far smaller area with much less elevation change. The risk of water shortage is significantly greater there than here.

Atlanta has a similar situation to Raleigh as Atlanta is above 1000 feet elevation and thus their watershed is the Chattahoochee with limited drainage area and disputes with lower Chattahoochee states Alabama and Florida. You can read about the Tri-State Water Wars many places online.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The tough things for those reservoirs is being in such an industrial area.. Most residents of 28216 zip code aren't very far from Latta Plantation and walking along Mountain Island Lake. If given the choice between a drive to Latta to go on a walk or a drive to these Reservoirs, Latta will win out for most people. Those reservoirs don't really become viable until the whole neighborhood becomes a pleasant place to walk and the industrial uses would have to move out. Since it isn't walking distance to many homes, it has to be a "destination" park to get people to drive to it, but it just won't have the amenities or size to be a destination like Latta without a complete overhaul of the entire industrial area.

I hear that it has a lot of industrial sites nearby, but (1) there are definitely homes/neighborhoods nearby (some directly across the street on Auten Road!) and (2) the character of the neighborhood today does not necessarily reflect the character tomorrow.  If something half as nice as some higher profile reservoirs were to be put in place, I would guess developers would be willing to do what is necessary to make some of those sites OK for residential use given the proximity to uptown.  Also, it would be way cheaper to do things when the surrounding area is what it is today as opposed to what it might be in the future.

As for comparing it to Latta plantation, I think looking at these things in terms of zip code is way too broad -- the closest point of Mountain Island Lake is over 4 miles away from the reservoir as the crow flies (let alone driving).  That makes this almost half-way between uptown and Latta.  That is far.  Also, the area around the lake is wealthy and white.  The neighborhoods around this are not.  

41 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

That is the Vest Treatment Plant. Click on item #2 on this site "water treatment" and you will see what is involved. This is all within the treatment facility and there is no way our public water source would allow random ramblings in that perimeter. It is on high ground as all water supply systems must be in order to use gravity for supply.

https://charlottenc.gov/Water/Education/Pages/Journey.aspx

Maybe I am missing something but I don't see why the reservoir water being used for the treatment next to it would impact the ability of people to be near it as a greenway.  The water in that reservoir isn't treated yet, right?  I am not an engineer but I am guessing it is storage before being treated.  How does this make that water any different than the water in Mountain Island lake where people have access?

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

We are very fortunate that we have a remarkably stable and robust water supply in the Catawba River. The headwaters lie in Watauga County and close to Asheville  and drain much of western North Carolina, following a drainage south to Shelby and Mooresville and then south to South Carolina. The abundant rain and snowfall over this entire region and the lack of cities anywhere the size of Charlotte allow us to benefit. For comparison, Raleigh uses Falls Lake for water and their watershed is from Roxboro to Hillsborough and skirts Durham. A far smaller area with much less elevation change. The risk of water shortage is significantly greater there than here.

Atlanta has a similar situation to Raleigh as Atlanta is above 1000 feet elevation and thus their watershed is the Chattahoochee with limited drainage area and disputes with lower Chattahoochee states Alabama and Florida. You can read about the Tri-State Water Wars many places online.

Catawba River is formed from a trickle near Mt Mitchell in McDowell county and  you can see the small river go under I-40 near Marion.   Charlotte indeed does have a great water supply much better than Atlanta  or many other southeastern cities for sure.   Plus the Pee Dee Yadkin  River system to the east provides water for Cabarrus and many areas to the east.      http://hiltonpond.org/CatawbaRiverEssay01.html

and speaking of parks I am very upset about this Meck county closing of the parking lots for parks to "try" to break up crowds.  Since most of the people gathering in groups seem to be on fields or basketball courts why were those not closed or better patrolled than to close the parking lots.  Case in point Reedy Creek Park there is but one neighborhood within walking distance of this massive park but yet has gates up so no one can drive in.  This deprives many of using this park from east Charlotte area.  Things like this are likely  not to be forgotten the next time parks and rec bonds come up.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

^ Native American origins

From a pretty lame wiki page:

The meaning of name Pedee is unknown but is believed to be a Catawba language-term. Anthropologist Frank Speck believed the term may have derived from the Catawba term pi'ri, meaning "something good," or pi'here, meaning "capable," "expert," or "smart."[1]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Catawba River is formed from a trickle near Mt Mitchell in McDowell county and  you can see the small river go under I-40 near Marion.   Charlotte indeed does have a great water supply much better than Atlanta  or many other southeastern cities for sure.   Plus the Pee Dee Yadkin  River system to the east provides water for Cabarrus and many areas to the east.      http://hiltonpond.org/CatawbaRiverEssay01.html

and speaking of parks I am very upset about this Meck county closing of the parking lots for parks to "try" to break up crowds.  Since most of the people gathering in groups seem to be on fields or basketball courts why were those not closed or better patrolled than to close the parking lots.  Case in point Reedy Creek Park there is but one neighborhood within walking distance of this massive park but yet has gates up so no one can drive in.  This deprives many of using this park from east Charlotte area.  Things like this are likely  not to be forgotten the next time parks and rec bonds come up.  

There was a HUGE difference in crowds at the parks after they stopped letting people drive in. 

I know there some that don't have parks within walking or biking distance, but I seriously doubt those were the people driving  to Freedom and the other large parks.