Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

17 hours ago, stiluvclt said:

What's the prognosis on the Brandywine (behind Park Road Shopping Center) part of the greenway?

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/XCLTBrandywineTyvola.aspx

That segment has (finally) moved to construction.  There are signs up for an on-street connection between the existing end points of the greenway, but I've heard staking and preliminary earthwork is going on down by the creek.  

39 minutes ago, pathb said:

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/XCLTBrandywineTyvola.aspx

That segment has (finally) moved to construction.  There are signs up for an on-street connection between the existing end points of the greenway, but I've heard staking and preliminary earthwork is going on down by the creek.  

Work start a few months ago but I have seen zero work since from Tyvola to Park Rd.  They cleared trees and now just sits. I walk/run this section everyday and it's sad to see no new progress (at least from that end).

On 4/18/2020 at 3:43 PM, KJHburg said:

what if anything is the works for the missing link of the Rail trail on the South Blvd. side in Southend between Atherton and Publix Camden Southview. 

Edens/Crescent is completing the section from Tremont to Publix.  The City owns the section b/w Camden and the MPV building (behind the Autobell).  Then Asana owns the Off-Broadway parcel.  I don't know the timing or plans for those last two sections.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was on the greenway at Archdale this morning and was asked if you are allowed / possible to kayak on the creek? Anyone know? It wold be great if you are allowed, but maybe there is some reason you cannot that I'm unaware of.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, sakami said:

Not sure where to put this but The Observer reported that the city is going to close some streets to allow for pedestrian zones in a Shared Street program. As someone who lives on one of the streets listed as a potential option I would love more details about how long the closures would be in place.

https://charlottenc.gov/Transportation/Programs/Pages/CharlotteSharedStreets.aspx

This is a great idea, but has been a total flop so far due to lack of compliance and enforcement - at least on the Westfield section.  At all times of day I’ve noticed cars blowing past the “road closed” signs, and not stopping at houses on the street.  Without enforcement, having the city encourage kids to ride their bike in the street is a disaster waiting to happen  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cmwilson24 said:

This is a great idea, but has been a total flop so far due to lack of compliance and enforcement - at least on the Westfield section.  At all times of day I’ve noticed cars blowing past the “road closed” signs, and not stopping at houses on the street.  Without enforcement, having the city encourage kids to ride their bike in the street is a disaster waiting to happen  

Yup I had a friend tell me she went to the P-M Harris Teeter and vaguely see the sign out of the corner of her eye but it wasn’t even in the street so she and a bunch of other cars just drove right on through without even thinking about what it meant. 
I sent an email to CDOT asking for a lot more details about how this would work and the response I got was “we are advocating for people to share the already low speed residential streets with all modes of transportation”.  I think people are expecting an Open Streets model and that is not what is happening. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, tarhoosier said:

Noticeable progress at Park Road and Selwyn intersection. Equipment has moved down near the water or somewhere out of sight. Street level access is cleared and obvious now.

Big time equipment and some sort of building materials on site here. Can’t be done fast enough!

B143EDBE-3ED2-4787-9AA1-4562C994E164.jpeg

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, WEM said:

A lot of respect to the guys working in this heat.   

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0296[1].JPG

Interesting that they are narrowing the creek there.  It is quite steep behind Lucky Lou's and I was wondering how they were going to be able to run the greenway on that side of the creek.  Great to see some progress after months of being halted in the early spring. 

When done, that will be a huge boom to that shopping center.  Coffee at Mugs, burger and beer and Lucky Lou's, pizza at Portofino's, etc.  

Edit:  This section will flood out regularly.  Hope they have good construction methods!

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

When done, that will be a huge boom to that shopping center.  Coffee at Mugs, burger and beer and Lucky Lou's, pizza at Portofino's, etc.  

See, I would agree 100%, but from what I can tell they are not connecting the greenway to the shopping center.  I could be wrong, but the map on the XCLT website doesn't show a connection.  Maybe the shopping center would fund a connection, but someone would have to make a business case for it.

Reference map:

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Documents/BrandywineTyvolaMap.pdf

13 minutes ago, WEM said:

See, I would agree 100%, but from what I can tell they are not connecting the greenway to the shopping center.  I could be wrong, but the map on the XCLT website doesn't show a connection.  Maybe the shopping center would fund a connection, but someone would have to make a business case for it.

Reference map:

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Documents/BrandywineTyvolaMap.pdf

Maybe I am missing something but that map seems to clearly show a "greenway connection" right behind the Michael's

1 minute ago, MothBeast said:

Maybe I am missing something but that map seems to clearly show a "greenway connection" right behind the Michael's

The other shopping center on park rd.  Near Selwyn and park.  Although I'm pretty sure I did read that they nixed that bridge shown on the map, but you can still cross the road bridge on the foot wide sidewalk.  :tw_rage: