Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

On 10/19/2020 at 11:30 AM, CLT2014 said:

I concur. Dilworth does have a good sidewalk system though for residents to get around and connect on foot, despite crowded parking. This neighborhood has 0 sidewalks. Every car parked on the side of the street pushes residents further into the middle of the relatively busy and narrow road for walking. I guess the question is the greenway access point intended to improve mobility in this neighborhood (in that case maybe do sidewalks first) or is it intended to be a regional access point (and if so, why not add parking so people don't park all along the streets preventing residents from walking to the access point safely on foot)?

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but I do need to ask: why would anyone who likes to walk purchase a house on a street with no sidewalks? I kinda think complaining about being forced to walk in the middle of the street is a case of 'I made my bed, now I gotta walk in it' (or something like that).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited they will finally open the *existing* gate that is welded shut from Irwin Creek Greenway to the cemetery and eventually a connection on to the western edge of Music Factory.  

This loop looks great and will help focus improvements in ped/bike features in Gateway, Greenville, Oaklawn, and Biddleville.    I do wish they added a ped bridge connection on 9th street to help make the connection to 4th ward since so many cross the railroad tracks there anyway, but maybe something like this will help spur a ped connection when the Gateway Station district plan comes together, as they also plan a trail along the length of the railroad on that plan. 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, ertley said:

While walking on my local trail the other day--in lieu of being able to go to the gym--I had an idea: 

What if Discovery Place, affiliated organizations and arts groups worked with the parks and rec department to create a series of meaningful installations along each greenway in Charlotte? Specifically, utilizing the linear nature of the trails to convey important narratives with proper scope and scale, in regards to time or distance.

I specifically mention Discovery Place because I think a great one to start with--and which I recognize could be a victim of its own success if it ends up clogging the trails with too many tykes and families--but maybe you widen the trail?--would be a Paleontology trail, charting the story of dinosaurs, with accurate measures of time, in feet, to convey to kids the scope of paleontological (?) history. (Obviously, this being the South any mentions of human evolution would have to be avoided.) Younger kids could be awed by (accurate--with feathers!) statues of dinosaurs from different epochs, and important geological and climatological events could be represented therein, like the Yucatan meteorite, etc.

Another trail could present the solar system, again, in accurate scale--both the sizes of the planets and their distances to one another.

Yet another could be more 'pedestrian'--but chronologically presenting local history--I know the statues by the greenway on the western edge of Elizabeth (I refuse to type Midtown) present local figures--but either independently or re-positioning those statues, telling the story of Mecklenburg, so many feet by so many feet.

There are of course many other things that could be presented, but the paleontologocial and universal ones were the first ones to come to mind. 

This sounds like a very cool idea! One based on Charlotte history for sure would be cool. Could even have it tailored to certain areas that highlight items specific to that physical location along with where it was in time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

This sounds like a very cool idea! One based on Charlotte history for sure would be cool. Could even have it tailored to certain areas that highlight items specific to that physical location along with where it was in time.

The great thing is (or could be) that the city and county have so many greenways and trails planned--basically every creek seems to have one planned along it--that a master plan could be devised assigning a discrete theme and installations for each greenway or trail, based on length, terrain and overall usage. 

Those with heavier (including commuter and serious biking) traffic could have something less appealing to young kids et al.,  maybe focused on history or even just art, and neighborhood or connecting trails could feature paleontological history, for example so kids of all ages could throng without creating too much ire or friction among more serious trail users and the kids' moms (perhaps occasionally named Karen).

I'm not someone who necessarily puts "equity" and "diversity" automatically at the topmost of every list--although, do not get me wrong, I believe they are always inherent considerations--but I really do think the paleontological installations should (or rather would) be placed as centrally as possible--not up in University City or down in south Charlotte, so all children in the city would have equal access, and hopefully create all kinds of added benefits for children everywhere and help encourage an all-inclusive community a little bit more. 

The others could be more dependent upon terrain, length, cost, etc. 

• Like 3

I realize it would be more costly, but is there any chance that a small concrete median could be built between the cycle track and vehicle lanes?  I feel like that would help signify the cycle track's permanence, as well as make for a more substantial barrier between the bike and vehicle lanes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kermit said:

'bout time! But $4.1 million?

So the McDowell to RailTrail portion has been complete for a while, and the cycletrack won't be complete between College and Tryon until the library construction is complete in 2023 or so, so $4.1m is just for the Tryon to Irwin Creek  portion or are they going to reconstruct phase 1 with planters and the like?

Total Project cost is $7.15m....

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/UptownCycleTrack.aspx

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 12:05 AM, CLT> said:

So the McDowell to RailTrail portion has been complete for a while, and the cycletrack won't be complete between College and Tryon until the library construction is complete in 2023 or so, so $4.1m is just for the Tryon to Irwin Creek  portion or are they going to reconstruct phase 1 with planters and the like?

Total Project cost is $7.15m....

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/UptownCycleTrack.aspx

Speaking of a  new library - how's that progressing...

• 1 month later...

Refined XCLT designs from Matheson to Tryon are available for review and comment. Cross Charlotte Trail (XCLT) (charlottenc.gov)

Video links to where the meat starts, your welcome: https://youtu.be/PKYAas91Cs0?t=385

I do not envy the incredible gymnastics required to link all these pieces together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Lots of clearing recently on LSC by Woodlawn/Brandywine (across from the Taco Bell). Hard to say, but I guess ~12 months until you can go from the Polk House/485 to Cordelia Park/NoDa on one path - about 14 miles!

It has taken well over year from the work from 485 to Polk house and still not done.  Highly doubtful the Brandywine section is done 12 months from now unless there is some crazy push to do so.  The section from 485 south has been sitting relatively untouched for months.  

14 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

It has taken well over year from the work from 485 to Polk house and still not done.  Highly doubtful the Brandywine section is done 12 months from now unless there is some crazy push to do so.  The section from 485 south has been sitting relatively untouched for months.  

Very popular with mountain bikers through there. Basically becoming a course. 

• 4 weeks later...

Kwanzan Cherry. (edit-My horticultural expert says not Kwanzan but a different Japanese cultivar quite similar) Early bloomers here, flowers, no fruit. Wonderful yard tree and I have had one in my yard and enjoyed it immensely in this time of year.  Another gift to the world from Japan.

Sakura=cherry blossom. The song is an unofficial national anthem of Japan.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Thanks 1