Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Kwanzan Cherry. (edit-My horticultural expert says not Kwanzan but a different Japanese cultivar quite similar) Early bloomers here, flowers, no fruit. Wonderful yard tree and I have had one in my yard and enjoyed it immensely in this time of year.  Another gift to the world from Japan.

Sakura=cherry blossom. The song is an unofficial national anthem of Japan.

@tarhoosier, do deer get after them? The subdivision we live in has a pretty bad infestation of deer and they're not shut about eating much of what we plant. My wife hid my 16 gauge on me. ;-)

• Haha 1

Out of my field.

If your deer eat blooms from other flowering plants then I assume this would include the flowering trees as well. Some people put wire fences around their trees(any trees) to protect the trees from deer predation. Deer can eat bark, buds and anything they find tasty. Pruning lower limbs helps.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Fixed that for you.  I find its easier to just feed the deer in the back yard and hope they aren't hungry when they leave and head through the front yard (deer corn is cheap at Walmart).  

My very wooded backyard has 10-11 resident deer that I see 2-3x daily (with another 8-10 I see occasionally).  Its quite interesting observing them, especially with the fawns.  They know me as "food guy".  They come running if they hear corn in the pitcher.  Two of them will approach me within 10-15'.   I can have both dogs off leash and they know the dogs wont chase them and aren't scared of them.  I often sit on my swing by the creek with both of my dogs and they walk right past now (been in this house about a year). 

ohdeer.jpg

That's fantastic!  When I saw the comment above that "the subdivision we live in has a pretty bad infestation of deer," my mind went here:   The habitat the deer live in has a pretty bad infestation of humans.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

That's fantastic!  When I saw the comment above that "the subdivision we live in has a pretty bad infestation of deer," my mind went here:   The habitat the deer live in has a pretty bad infestation of humans.

I feel somewhat the same but it's not completely fair. If this were natural habitat they would not be over crowded like this and eating foods that in many cases aren't natural for them. To keep it healthy there needs to be pruning of some type (obviously in nc  unbridled growth cannot be considered the issue). I'm personally not into hunting or killing animals and the 16 guage was a joke. That said, not opposed to hunters either and as said do believe pruning has to happen. Not like we're going to have mountain lions and other preditors here right?

Maybe we need to put up signs so the deer can get fed at @InSouthPark  :tw_wink:

Edited by elrodvt

12 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I feel somewhat the same but it's not completely fair. If this were natural habitat they would not be over crowded like this and eating foods that in many cases aren't natural for them. To keep it healthy there needs to be pruning of some type (obviously in nc  unbridled growth cannot be considered the issue). I'm personally not into hunting or killing animals and the 16 guage was a joke. That said, not opposed to hunters either and as said do believe pruning has to happen. Not like we're going to have mountain lions and other preditors here right?

Maybe we need to put up signs so the deer can get fed at @InSouthPark  :tw_wink:

Fine by me! Sitting on my deck with a bourbon watching the deer as we speak. $7/m for corn and a slightly more $ a month for my corn based beverage and I am entertained.  :tw_glasses:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Fine by me! Sitting on my deck with a bourbon watching the deer as we speak. $7/m for corn and a slightly more $ a month for my corn based beverage and I am entertained.  :tw_glasses:

I love watching them too. Had some unbelievable encounters in the Rockies while we lived in Denver. I just want them to stop eating my pricey landscaping stuff and they're hell on gardens.

Do you live in an association? I'm sure our HOA would shut me down if I went your route.

9 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I love watching them too. Had some unbelievable encounters in the Rockies while we lived in Denver. I just want them to stop eating my pricey landscaping stuff and they're hell on gardens.

Do you live in an association? I'm sure our HOA would shut me down if I went your route.

No HOA here.  Half of my back yard is fenced so I am able to keep my garden in there (and they know the dogs live in there and have never hoped over).  My next door neighbor on the other hand, they hop the fence and eat his clover yard.  Out front, I use deer away on the few things I have planted that they seem to like (hydrangeas...which they arent supposed to like).  

Here is a pic of a bachelor party and another momma and baby (we had three fawns this year).  Momma, easily identified by her dot on her head, got hit by a car and has a pretty bad hitch in her step but that was in fall so she is still doing ok).

deer 3.jpg

deer2.jpg

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if there is any plan to connect Little Sugar Creek Greenway between the portion near Alexander Street Park and the portion by CPCC? It's so close, but soooo far given how unfriendly the roads are in between.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

Does anyone know if there is any plan to connect Little Sugar Creek Greenway between the portion near Alexander Street Park and the portion by CPCC? It's so close, but soooo far given how unfriendly the roads are in between.

I was wondering the same thing but about Carolina Place Mall.  It looks like you can ride the Blue Line to the I-485 station, and from there, there are paved pathways to the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.  But then the question is how to get safety from the greenway to these major local destinations.  Again, so close, but it seems also so unsafe.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from Parks and Rec twitter

A new 1.8-mi section of LITTLE SUGAR CREEK GREENWAY is NOW OPEN! The trail from I-485 to Polk Historic Site is 12’ wide, all paved, ADA accessible, with bridges and boardwalks. Restrooms are available during museum hours at the Polk site. Parking is available dawn to dusk.

There were plans to connect the little sugar creek greenway to McMullen greenways and now looks likes it has been a scrapped. So no XCLT trail I guess.  There is no way to safely walk from the sugar creek end (Polk house) to McMullen. There are no sidewalks. Nothing. The city of Charlotte did all the improvements from Sams up to the Pineville border at Carolina place parkway and it just ends onto a busy road with no sidewalks. What a complete failure. 

E841CCB5-D758-4F60-8441-3C96015AEC2F.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

There were plans to connect the little sugar creek greenway to McMullen greenways and now looks likes it has been a scrapped. So no XCLT trail I guess.  There is no way to safely walk from the sugar creek end (Polk house) to McMullen. There are no sidewalks. Nothing. The city of Charlotte did all the improvements from Sams up to the Pineville border at Carolina place parkway and it just ends onto a busy road with no sidewalks. What a complete failure. 

The connector isn't really part of xclt, but is this the project you're talking about? Is part of this missing?

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/XCLTSouthCharlotteConnector.aspx

SouthCharlotteConnector2.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

The connector isn't really part of xclt, but is this the project you're talking about? Is part of this missing?

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/XCLTSouthCharlotteConnector.aspx

SouthCharlotteConnector2.png

The Trail(county) part is what was dropped. The city did their part to the road.  The project is marked complete. 

It is part of the xclt trail. It’s on the map. You can’t connect south Charlotte without that connection.  https://charlottenc.gov/charlottefuture/CIP/Documents/XCLT Overall Map_POSTER_August 2020.pdf

• Like 3

On 6/4/2021 at 2:41 PM, KJHburg said:

from Parks and Rec twitter

A new 1.8-mi section of LITTLE SUGAR CREEK GREENWAY is NOW OPEN! The trail from I-485 to Polk Historic Site is 12’ wide, all paved, ADA accessible, with bridges and boardwalks. Restrooms are available during museum hours at the Polk site. Parking is available dawn to dusk.

FINALLY. Have been waiting to use the new section (and had actually snuck onto a little bit of it a few times...I know I'm not alone in this)

Edited by DH17
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...