Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

On 11/27/2021 at 8:50 AM, KJHburg said:

Yes so there will be only one stretch not developed on this side of the Rail Trail but the city needs to complete it with some private donations even if just a saw paved path until that property is redeveloped where the Auto Bell sits. 

Contact the Victoria Watlington about it!  The portion of the Rail Trail is within the Charlotte City Council District 3.  It's in Mecklenburg County Commission District 2  has Vilma Leakes.  Since the Greenways are apart of the Mecklenburg County Park & Recreation Department purview, you should contact her about this so that the county will contact the city to make this happen quicker. We must make the existing elected officials to work for you not just say things online. Otherwise things won't get done. 

Another poster said in a previous post on the subforum that there is an existing private entity that does the advocacy for green spaces and greenways.   

As a former resident of Atlanta, PATH Foundation only has made strives at best piecemail level at best. Intown Charlotte in comparison to Intown Atlanta is much better covered by active greenways and trails. The Atlanta Beltline is still only 60% complete as the northwest portion is still not even designed nor the right-of-way is even reserved yet.   Meanwhile, by next fall (Fall 2022) you can bike or hike from the James K. Polk site in Pineville to NoDa via the Little Sugar Creek Greenway. Although we must do more, that's very impressive for a region our size.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

Should be done by this time next year. They seem to have cleared close to the whole length and graded ~80% of the length. Lots of dirt to move so hope for a drier spring/summer to keep it moving. Only a year delayed from the original timeline once funding was approved (from ~2 to 3-3.5 years).

Correct. I know a lot of people only realize the pocket park is being worked on but that’s become an entry point/ staging area for the greenway. Won’t be complete until after the greenway is

On 12/4/2021 at 10:04 PM, KJHburg said:

Four Mile Greenway  in Matthews. Evidently Mecklenburg county has 52 miles and growing of greenways.   However just the town of Cary in Wake County has 80 plus miles and growing.  Charlotte meet Cary.  Cary show Charlotte.  Be like Cary.  My goal for 2022 is to walk on all the greenways in Meck County.  

Parks, Greenways & Environment | Town of Cary

Your Guide to All 52 Miles of Greenways in Mecklenburg County (mecknc.gov)

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

IMG_6302.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

IMG_6306.JPG

IMG_6307.JPG

IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6309.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

IMG_6311.JPG

I like how the sign says "For your safety walk with a friend."

Edited by carolinaboy
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ While the value engineering does not look too bad at this point, I'll jump back on my regular soapbox and say that the biggest value engineering is leaving 277 in place at all. I can't understand how anyone can look at the 11 traffic lanes shown in these renderings and think this is an appropriate use of land in the CBD of the 17th largest city in the country.

The Belk (from 77 to Independence) takes up roughly 130 acres of space. This is land that could be providing housing, recreational space and mobility space for urban residents. In addition to putting the land to work generating revenue for the city, it would provide very attractive space for new firms in Charlotte. As you can see in the renderings it is currently just a revenue sucking, air quality damaging noose around Charlotte's neck.

100%.  This section of 277 is never congested (that I've seen) and people speed like crazy which just makes the bottle neck after Exit 2A even more dangerous (I'm guessing the same could be said towards 77, but I'm always going towards Independence so I don't know for sure).

Edited by TGIBridays

4 hours ago, kermit said:

^ While the value engineering does not look too bad at this point, I'll jump back on my regular soapbox and say that the biggest value engineering is leaving 277 in place at all. I can't understand how anyone can look at the 11 traffic lanes shown in these renderings and think this is an appropriate use of land in the CBD of the 17th largest city in the country.

The Belk (from 77 to Independence) takes up roughly 130 acres of space. This is land that could be providing housing, recreational space and mobility space for urban residents. In addition to putting the land to work generating revenue for the city, it would provide very attractive space for new firms in Charlotte. As you can see in the renderings it is currently just a revenue sucking, air quality damaging noose around Charlotte's neck -- its gotta go!

[even if you believe that the Belk is necessary to get suburban drivers to their uptown jobs, you gotta admit that 11 traffic lanes between Southend and Uptown is just a crime against Charlotte's humanity]

I think Charlotte is now the 15th largest U.S. city, not 17th.  But I don't disagree at all with what you're saying here, though I think this is more than just a Charlotte issue.  I live in the 8th largest city in the U.S., and around the same time those freeways were breaking up Charlotte's core, the same thing was happening here in my city, and in cities all over this country.  Offhand, I can't think of any city that got spared except maybe DC and Manhattan.  In my city, the highway commission bulldozed right through the Little Italy community to build the Interstate 5 freeway, effectively destroying that community. Same thing with the building of I-15 and I-805.  Communities all across the nation were ripped apart like this.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Seattle is the only city seriously trying to fix the damage and sew its urban communities back together.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks to be the 2 car trains we currently have now.

Not sure the freeway will go away soon.  The state leaders keeps the DOT budget so tight  that they will never spend the money to remove 277.  

I like the John Belk in this area as it is rarely congested  but I hate the merge with 77/Wilkinson and we all know most of the ramps are too short and congested.  

I think it has been proposed to redesign some of those.  This thing was built by removing space for development.  While that may have been a mistake I do not 

see that removing it anytime soon would be wise given all the space available for development downtown.  I do like the idea of selling air-rights to develop above it.

I like the benefit of having freeway access directly to the center city.  I think other cities (even some in Raleigh) would love to have direct interstate access downtown.

• Like 2