Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

Back in the QC and resuming the greenway tour.  This is a short stretch of the Briar Creek Greenway linking Plaza Midwood to Merry Oaks next to the Charlotte Country Club. Less than a half mile long .

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/Parks/Greenways/Pages/BriarCreekGreenway-ArnoldDrivetoMasonicDrive.aspx

again our Meck greenways are great they need to be linked up.  There is no greenway from here at Central Ave to Randolph Rd where I walked from the Mint Museum and there needs to be.

some of this property was bought with Federal money to get homes out of flood plains just like down in Myers Park along Little Sugar Creek. 

And a few photos of my walks in south Florida in Palm Beach County.  These areas are west of the urban sprawl into the swamps and wetlands.  Had to be on the look out for snakes, gators and wild hogs.   (starts with the wetland sign) 

IMG_9377.JPG

IMG_9378.JPG

IMG_9379.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG

IMG_9381.JPG

IMG_9383.JPG

IMG_9384.JPG

IMG_9385.JPG

IMG_9386.JPG

IMG_9387.JPG

IMG_9388.JPG

IMG_8336.JPG

IMG_8348.JPG

IMG_8385.JPG

IMG_8355.JPG

IMG_8374.JPG

IMG_8384.JPG

• Like 4

Between appointments today another walk on a new greenway.    The new section of McAlpine Greenway from Sardis to Providence Rd.  First time I saw a deer on any greenway I am sure there are plenty but haven't seen one until today.  Look in the forest thicket photo and see if you see one.  Saw some mallards too but not on their own creek's greenway in NE Charlotte. 

from the Meck County greenway page:

""This 1 mile extension of McAlpine Creek Greenway will meander through woodland highlighting restored wetlands and creek.  Once complete, the Campbell Creek and McAlpine Creek Greenway system will be 5 miles long.""    (this extension is open now) 

photos today and another new greenway this week so they maybe 3 new greenways this week. 

McAlpine Creek greenway goes 5 miles now but abruptly stops at Providence Road after it goes under the road.   again needs to be extended but this greenway is a great stretch hard to see to houses yet this is in the heart of south Charlotte.   As always build out the greenway map before building a freeway cap. 

Want to meet some friendly Charlotteans walk on a greenway much more polite than on the city's streets.  Lot of photos.   And this is just from Sardis Rd over to Providence and back.  Find the deer.   Somebody let some bamboo get away and that stuff spreads quick and thick. 

IMG_9482 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9483 - Copy.JPG

1852199901_IMG_9484-Copy.JPG

IMG_9485 - Copy.JPG

159670227_IMG_9487-Copy.JPG

47010324_IMG_9488-Copy.JPG

IMG_9489 - Copy.JPG

1733384578_IMG_9490-Copy.JPG

685963546_IMG_9491-Copy.JPG

IMG_9492 - Copy.JPG

848916776_IMG_9493-Copy.JPG

1189265818_IMG_9494-Copy.JPG

1700836186_IMG_9495-Copy.JPG

110545986_IMG_9496-Copy.JPG

1152277089_IMG_9497-Copy.JPG

IMG_9498.JPG

IMG_9500.JPG

IMG_9501.JPG

IMG_9502.JPG

IMG_9503.JPG

IMG_9504.JPG

IMG_9505.JPG

IMG_9506.JPG

IMG_9507.JPG

IMG_9508.JPG

IMG_9509.JPG

IMG_9510.JPG

IMG_9511.JPG

IMG_9512.JPG

IMG_9514.JPG

IMG_9515.JPG

IMG_9516.JPG

IMG_9517.JPG

IMG_9518.JPG

IMG_9519.JPG

IMG_9520.JPG

IMG_9521.JPG

• Like 4

New greenway for me! Six Mile Creek off Marvin Road the furthest south greenway in the county.  The vibe: lots of squirrels and birds including many cardinals.  Very quiet dead end .92 mile walk that ends in a cul de sac.  Across the creek you can see the Firethorne Country Club in Marvin in Union County and a few very large homes. Trail ends about .25 mile from the state line and where Lancaster County SC meets Union and Meck counties.  Only other structure seen is a sewer pump station.  Next to the Foxhole a county dump but you can not see it and it is for construction debris.

Lets connect this upstream to Rea Rd then to Providence Rd.  and someday into SC near Red Ventures HQ.   and remember Build out the greenway map before any freeway cap! 

I would describe this as typical river bottomland even though it is just a stream I can tell it floods. 

My tour of every greenway in Meck and Cabarrus counties continues  5 more to go in Meck for me.  I like the quietness of this greenway no road noise, no leaf blowers fewer people.  

Dr KJ says 2-3 greenways a week keeps the doctor away. 

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

• Like 3

So who can we publicly shame for not allowing the Charlotte Cross Trail to ever get built as intended?

This is in regards to the South Charlotte connector that dead ends are Carolina Place Parkway with no access to sidewalks to get to Little Sugar Creek Greenway:

We were not able to purchase the property needed to achieve the trail as you show it. In fact we have tried other options which would require coordination with some of the big box stores along Carolina Place Parkway.  They were not interested in us having easements or working on their property. These efforts have taken time and energy.  We are currently left to slightly improve the 6’ +/-sidewalks along Carolina Place Parkway and extend a sidewalk to Park Road.

This is not our first choice to create the Little Sugar-McMullen Connector but it is something we can achieve with minimal real estate needed.

The project is not forgotten, it is taking a much longer time than anyone anticipated. It is not simple.  

Ocala and Haverties owns the property where it was go.

Haverties and Ethan Allen have no sidewalk. 

The mall property has no sidewalks. 

Pineville has no sidewalks.

The big box stores don't want anything to do with a sidewalk.

This is crazy. I have no doubt it this was City of Charlotte this would have gotten done.  But Pineville...they don't need or want no stinking sidewalks.

• Sad 5

So who can we publicly shame for not allowing the Charlotte Cross Trail to ever get built as intended?
This is in regards to the South Charlotte connector that dead ends are Carolina Place Parkway with no access to sidewalks to get to Little Sugar Creek Greenway:
We were not able to purchase the property needed to achieve the trail as you show it. In fact we have tried other options which would require coordination with some of the big box stores along Carolina Place Parkway.  They were not interested in us having easements or working on their property. These efforts have taken time and energy.  We are currently left to slightly improve the 6’ +/-sidewalks along Carolina Place Parkway and extend a sidewalk to Park Road.
This is not our first choice to create the Little Sugar-McMullen Connector but it is something we can achieve with minimal real estate needed.
The project is not forgotten, it is taking a much longer time than anyone anticipated. It is not simple.  

This is crazy. I have no doubt it this was City of Charlotte this would have gotten done.  But Pineville...they don't need or want no stinking sidewalks.

Mecklenburg County is responsible for that section.

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Is this the section?

image.png.9d71c06892c5073e191efa254450ee42.png

1 hour ago, JeanClt said:

Mecklenburg County is responsible for that section.

Yes I know. But Meck is left trying to do this because Pineville has no sidewalks…like anywhere.  That property all aground these is Pineville proper.

1 hour ago, stw52 said:

Is this the section?

image.png.9d71c06892c5073e191efa254450ee42.png

Yes from Park and Carolina Place Parkway. Was to connect to Polk/Little sugar creek to make the cross Charlotte trail. Now you can’t even get there safely. No sidewalk on Polk. Almost no sidewalks on Carolina place. 

another new greenway for me today Lower McAlpine Creek Greenway/ McMullen Creek greenway behind the Toringdon shopping center off Johnston Rd north of I-485.   the creek is wide here and again lots of river bottomland that floods repeatedly.  Houses off Carmel Rd extension seen.   This greenway is 5.8 miles so I only did a little section today runs from Rea Rd back over to Hwy 51 in somewhat of a semicircle.    Notice the palm tree somewhat threw away obviously that has taken root and is growing under the understory of the canopy. 

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/CapitalProjects/Documents/MCPR-McAlpine-McMullen-4MileGwy-Winter2020.pdf

Tomorrow sunny and almost sunny I predict a greenway walk if I have time. 

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

^^ The parking lot at Toringdon for that greenway is a great hidden gem.  People all cram into the Johnson Rd lot or Trader Joes when this gigantic parking lots sits empty.  Unless you ever go to Pikes or pull out a greenway map, you would never know this shopping center is connected. 

One decade from now from when the 51 to Johnson greenway connector get built, I will be able to walk to Midwood Smokehouse/Hickory Tavern.  It's still surprising to me there is no coffeeshop in that shopping center (maybe after the high school gets built).  Greenway + Coffee shop seem to be big hits.  Mugs and Starbucks which are right off greenway are always busy with walkers and bikers.   Somewhat related...one cool thing that happens on that greenway is that coffee food trucks will occasionally pop up on the neighborhood entrances.  You can see them from the greenway and always a line!

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 3

well was up in downtown Concord today and decided to walk one of their greenways.  from downtown down to park along Hwy 3.  I misread the information on their website thought it was 2 miles ending up being 3 miles as I did the complete downtown loop!  (No wonder I was so tired and the 100 foot plus of elevation change did not help as I walked down the hill first then had to walk up the hill after I hit the 2 mile mark)   anyway I survived which I attribute to eating leftover steak for breakfast.    Went from downtown Concord downhill to McGee Park then along Irish Buffalo Creek then uphill after I got to  Les Myers Park then down the sidewalk along S Union Street which is full of beautiful homes.   They paint little geckos on the sidewalks to guide you.  

https://concordnc.gov/Departments/Parks-Recreation/Greenways#McEachern Greenway

anyway a nice greenway if you want to walk in parts or the whole kit and caboodle like I did.   Mark this entire greenway off my list!  Liked the Peace monument at McGee park and they have lots of signs in English and Spanish have not seen that in Charlotte.   anyway get out and enjoy a greenway this weekend no matter   Took a photo of the downtown loop map I saw. 

A journey of thousand miles begins with one step. 

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG