Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

5 hours ago, RANYC said:

I think the greenways can be great forms of alternative mobility.  There must, however, be a general perception of both current and future safety of the greenways in order for them to be actively used as we all would like.  Two reports in the past week about two strangers randomly attacking women on the greenway are depressing.  Two stories in rapid succession like this may have a chilling effect on usage.

I’m on it everyday around the Boyce Park area. Certainly a more noticeable police presence but that difficult/expensive to keep up and it’s a lot of ground to cover. But they need a show of force at the moment. 

for what’s worth, when approaching a single woman, I’m quick with a smile and little wave and intentionally move a couple steps further away to the side. Seems a little and easy thing to do, especially right now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I call this next post Learning from Other Places Greenways edition.  While out west I did a lot of walking.  Took a 1.3 mile walk 700 feet under ground at Carlsbad Caverns NM.   While in San Antonio walked the entire downtown Riverwalk loop and the entire Museum Reach (northern stretch) and parts of the Mission Reach Riverwalk.  San Antonio has 82 miles of greenways but this does not include the Riverwalk downtown, Mission or Museum reaches which were developed and maintained by SAWS SA Water Service.   As the SA Riverwalk is basically a huge flood control project made into a world renown greenway trail.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/ParksAndRec/Parks-Facilities/Trails/Greenway-Trails

I walked on the Leon Creek which is basically an arroyo from what I saw (no water but evidence it does flow sometimes)  I started at the Valero trailhead and walked northward and back. 

so if you ever in San Antonio rent or bring your bike and head south to the Missions or north to the Pearl (yes they have a Pearl too the old Pearl Brewery) 

Most all greenways in SA TX are concrete due to the higher temperatures and much more flash flooding.  Also not advisable to get off the trails with all the rattlesnakes  present.  Read the sign about the huge flood control tunnels that go underneath and bypass downtown so to keep downtown SA from flooding as in the past. 

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Third Strike said:

Is there a list of future parks/sites that the city/county is working on developing? I live in East Charlotte, and it’s miles in all directions before I can reach a park. Just wondering what the city has planned for any new parks. 

Sort of. The Master Plan is due for an update. Otherwise you can peruse the parks & greenways projects here: Capital Project Updates (mecknc.gov)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My KJ picks for greenway walks for your out of town family, cousins, friends this long weekend in the QC.

1.  For the hip and young I suggest the original LSG Little Sugar Creek in from Cordelia Park to uptown.  Plenty of places  nearby for a drink or coffee too.  Or an alternative would be the Stewart Creek greenway from Wesley Heights to Uptown. 

2.  For the older and mobility challenged I suggest LSG again down behind Centrum Shopping center show them the wetland park  and plenty of ADA parking available close by.  See one of the larger wetlands in the county. 

3.  For the big city visitor looking for the country and wide open spaces I suggest West Branch of the Rocky River greenway up in Davidson starting in Aberdeen Park going down to Fisher Farm park.   Very quiet and not a house in sight.  

4.  For the arts person I would suggest Briar Creek greenway park at the Mint Museum on Randolph walk the greenway and then visit the museum. 

5.  For the those in academia I would suggest the Toby Creek greenway through the UNC Charlotte campus.  

But get out and walk a greenway this long weekend and you will know you need it!

Photos from the Hector Henry Greenway in Concord on Wed. off Weddington Road drop the relatives off at Concord Mills and go walking with those not interested in shopping.   Great views of the Rocky River only seen when the leaves come off. 

if you have other ideas on ideal greenway walks lets hear them. 

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_6414.JPG

IMG_6415.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Carolina Thread Trail and Catawba Lands Conservancy 2022 annual report.  I support this organization I love open space, greenways and preserved farmland.  If you do too support them and make a tax deductible contribution between now and Sunday for this year.   I can't wait to walk on some of these greenways in Charlotte and way beyond.  Even Shelby is getting a rail trail. 

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/79899b81d7844825a66e50f6e211029f

• Like 2

First Day Hike out at Riverbend Farm in southern Cabarrus.  Had to go close as I got a late start.  Great 1.6 mile roundtrip by the Rocky River through the woods and through the hay fields.   Cows don't like being watched when they eat LOL. 

The hardest part of any journey is the first step.  Start tomorrow start this week but start. 

https://www.carolinathreadtrailmap.org/trails/trail/riverbend-farm-trail   This is working farm and this trail is on an easement by the river.  

IMG_8016.JPG

IMG_8017.JPG

IMG_8018.JPG

IMG_8020.JPG

IMG_8024.JPG

IMG_8025.JPG

IMG_8027.JPG

IMG_8028.JPG

IMG_8029.JPG

IMG_8030.JPG

IMG_8031.JPG

• Like 4