Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

1 minute ago, elrodvt said:

Nice, how close do you think they are?

within 30 days or so from what I have seen as I could not see under Runnymede but that boardwalk looked finished and they were repairing a section of the concrete on the other side of Runnymede where the trucks were parked.  The rest is clean up mud etc.  

• Thanks 2

Thanks! I'm excited for this one.

The one I used most often in Denver periodically flooded also.

It was usually all cleaned up 2 days after. I'm sure it drives considerable maintenance cost but not in the big picture. There the pavement was often undercut so a couple days was jumping right on it and working till it was done. Seemed like no big deal and it was worth it to be so close to the river. 

BTW, another difference I've noted here is far less nighttime construction. Obviously that sucks for drivers but I'd hate to be a worker in the winter! 

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 2

Yes several spots around the greenway system flood frequently but I have seen it cleaned up pretty fast under bridges usually on Little Sugar Creek and up on the Mallard Creek Greenway.  This will flood but that is what is supposed to happen and it is quickly over once the rain stops.   The greenways in San Antonio all have low concrete bridges as they frequently flash flood and the rest of the time there is just a trickle of water under them.  I think Parks and Rec has built flood proof structures into this design for this tight section of the creek through a very developed area.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes several spots around the greenway system flood frequently but I have seen it cleaned up pretty fast under bridges usually on Little Sugar Creek and up on the Mallard Creek Greenway.  This will flood but that is what is supposed to happen and it is quickly over once the rain stops.   The greenways in San Antonio all have low concrete bridges as they frequently flash flood and the rest of the time there is just a trickle of water under them.  I think Parks and Rec has built flood proof structures into this design for this tight section of the creek through a very developed area.  

Hell, McMullen greenway floods all time and nothing there is flood proof.  Gets flooded, rains stop, flood recedes.  Mud stays.  Even on occasion...Little Sugar creek gets up to and over the high pedestrian bridges.  I have seen tree branches stuck in the pedestrian railings below Archdale.

That said...this new section you want to be dang sure you don't get stuck in between two flooded bridges or you are going for a swim.  No one is climbing those 20ft retaining walls to got get a coffee at Mugs if it starts to flood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Proposed greenway expenditures may be rolled back as the County weighs how much debt and tax hikes residents can handle per this article. Would be unfortunate. 

CMS wants $3 billion to renovate schools
The County wants $2.6 billion for greenways, parks, libraries, and Latta Place
Total = $5.6 billion

Doesn't include potential tax hikes needed for transit expansion. 

The county's CFO has said the recommended top end is $2.5 billion for CMS and $750 million for the county projects. The only school bond amount that doesn't require about 10 years of tax increases would be a $1 billion CMS bond. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article272840810.html#storylink=mainstage_lead

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/CapitalProjects/PlannedGreenways/SiteAssets/Pages/default/Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Greenways Map Aug. 2021.pdf

Does anyone know if a more up-to-date map of the Greenway system exists anywhere? The most up to date map that I can find is from 2021. 

I cant ever find one they dont have a good map of what is under construction what is just planned.  

• Like 1

Has there been any timeline on that 'Trail (County)' piece between Polk and Park Road?  We just got ebikes and with the opening of LSCG all the way to Polk I was looking at a way to get to the new Ballantyne Bowl and noticed this is the lone gap to get from Park Road Shopping Center area down to Ballantyne, as the developers are making a Lower McAlpine connector.

Currently we'd just exit LSCG by Pineville-Matthews/Carolina Place Pkwy and ride Carolina Place for 0.75 miles which isn't bad.  This little short cut just seems a bit more convenient and safer :)

SouthCharlotteConnector2.png.e54b78be355cf8060b7e6d487dd98fc7.png

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the article above and here are updates on other greenways around the county:

Briar/Little Hope Creek Greenway – This project will create 1.5 miles of greenway in south Charlotte, beginning at Keystone Court, moving through Marion Diehl Park and then along Little Hope Creek, eventually ending at Manning Drive. Estimated completion is mid-2024.

Caldwell Station Tributary Greenway – Construction is underway on the .83-mile trail that will connect the existing Caldwell Station Greenway to the new Northern Regional Recreation Center on Old Statesville Road. Estimated completion is late 2023.

Irvins Creek Greenway – The project, which is being built in partnership with the Town of Matthews, will add the first section of greenway trail built on Irvins Creek in Matthews. The greenway trail will be approximately 1.5 miles long and will provide a connection between Crown Point Elementary School and Idlewild Road Park. Estimated completion is mid-2023.

Long Creek Greenway and stream improvement – Phase one (I-77 to Treyburn) is expected to open this spring, providing pedestrian connections to Long Creek Club Drive, Reames Road, Secretariat Drive, Northlake Center Parkway, Bayview Parkway and Treyburn Drive. Phase two (Treyburn to I-485), includes two miles of trails, along with stream and wetlands enhancements, with an estimated completion by early 2024. Phase three (I-485 to Oakdale) is currently in design, with plans for approximately two miles of new greenway trail, roadway improvements, trailhead parking and a restroom facility. Construction is set to start this spring.

McDowell Creek Greenway – This project will connect the towns of Cornelius and Huntersville, offering nearby communities 2.5 miles of trails to Westmoreland Park, Westmoreland Athletic Complex, Robbins Park, nearby schools and retail areas. Broken up into four phases, construction is complete on the first segment, which extends the Torrence Creek Greenway to Gilead Road. Phase two extends approximately .6 miles from Gilead Road to Chilgrove to Gilead Road. Estimated completion is early 2024. A timeline has not been announced for the additional phases.

South Charlotte connector (Park Road to Polk Historic Site) — This route near Carolina Place Parkway is currently in a design phase. When complete, a temporary connection will include a continuous sidewalk for the whole distance. Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation is coordinating with North Carolina Department of Transportation and the Town of Pineville to complete the connection by mid-2024. Ultimately, there will be an additional trail connection between the two, but Lloyd said that land acquisition has is a current challenge.

Stewart Creek Greenway – This project includes a 1.5 miles of greenway trail along Stewart Creek Tributary, from State Street to Coronet Way, as well as stream enhancements and new stormwater control measures near the Duke Energy substation. Estimated completion is mid-2023.

Torrence Tributary #2 – This project will extend the existing Torrence Creek Greenway by about a mile from Rosewood Meadow Lane to the Huntersville Gateway Park and Ride at Compass Street, uniting several neighborhoods by utilizing a tunnel under I-77 completed by NCDOT. Once complete, it will serve as an important regional connection as part of the Carolina Thread Trail. Estimated completion is 2024.

>>>> these updates are important as they don't give many of them and the pop up ads in this article means it is easier for me to read this on UP here. 

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-wellness/article272840030.html#storylink=cpy

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...