Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

On 4/28/2023 at 1:35 PM, KJHburg said:

walk on Mallard Creek Greenway today and the creeks are very high.  Be aware and especially under bridges.  With more rain later today expect minor flooding.  

20230428_104955.jpg

20230428_104958.jpg

20230428_105657.jpg

20230428_110709.jpg

20230428_110717.jpg

20230428_110812.jpg

Where can I go to escape these power lines, arrrrrrggggghhhhh

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This Saturday is National Trails Day show post your trail photos.  Get out and explore a new trail in the metro area.

https://www.carolinathreadtrail.org/ntd/

Here is the newest section of LSCG that will take you from NoDa to the SC line.  the newest leg from Polk Birthplace to the state line is now open.  I previewed it a few months back.

https://charlotte.axios.com/323761/new-3-mile-stretch-of-cross-charlotte-trail-opens-in-april/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

Rode this Friday.  It really is a cut above. 

The many vistas that come into view with each bend in the creek, seem serendipitous .

We biked into Pineville's CBD via the dog park and the very quiet and cycle friendly Johnston Drive.  Ate a great lunch at Margaux's with an accompanying  & refreshingly cold Hefe-Weizen. 

https://www.margauxswine.com/

• Like 4

Nice pics. I too like this section. 

Why are "few neighborhood connections nice" ?

We've been stuck here with only 1 because of suits over easements which you would think are rock solid but evidently take years of courts to verify. It's crazy the money being wasted on lawyers. Seems like nothing is ever settled. If you have enough money to blow you can have your day in court be groundhog day. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 11:37 AM, Madison Parkitect said:

Somewhere outside the colored areas on this map 

PngItem_2873835.png

You can’t escape it, the grid is the grid no matter where you go.  It’s all tied together with very little nuance in regards to physical infrastructure and connection points.  It cost hella money to bury existing power lines.  It can be done but be wary of that power bill. 

"the grid is the grid"

I'm no expert but excepting Texas right? I was listening to a podcast on how they separated themselves which was interesting and seems Texas sized dumb. Now they're reacting to the weather outages they had by trying to prevent more solar and wind. Basically making the permit process to add green energy to your home intolerable. I understand the baseload argument but this seems more like a holy war than trying to fix the need for more baseload. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

McDowell Greenway is a peaceful walk away from the hustle and bustle of Birkdale Village and directly behind it.  Saw 6 rabbits and 1 black snake on a short walk.  Also saw a hawk dive bomb into that pond and get a fish.   Then I ate dinner at Birkdale Village. 

@tozmervo what is new this passport control for town of Cornelius?  

20230709_164700.jpg

20230709_164732.jpg

20230709_164829.jpg

20230709_165155.jpg

20230709_165304.jpg

20230709_165310.jpg

20230709_165524.jpg

20230709_165905.jpg

20230709_170844.jpg

20230709_171030.jpg

20230709_171350.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

McDowell Greenway is a peaceful walk away from the hustle and bustle of Birkdale Village and directly behind it.  Saw 6 rabbits and 1 black snake on a short walk.  Also saw a hawk dive bomb into that pond and get a fish.   Then I ate dinner at Birkdale Village. 

@tozmervo what is new this passport control for town of Cornelius?  

20230709_165310.jpg

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artIV-S1-1/ALDE_00013015/

Citation in case control officer acts. Not that it would be understood by a Cornelian (?)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this section of the Little Sugar Greenway is officially opened (I thought it already was as I have walked a while back)

https://charlotte.axios.com/334032/new-1-5-mile-stretch-of-the-cross-charlotte-trail-by-park-road-shopping-center-is-now-open/

They typically wait until all the grass and trees they planted in late late spring are fully dead before they do a grand opening!  At least that that was plan for other sections of little sugar creek haha.  It looked terrible. They would hydro-seed in late may and all the grass would be dead by summer for the grand openings. Half the trees they planted would also be dead. I understand the rush to open these, but why does the city insist on wasting money by planting things right before summer (and most times, never reseed in fall).  Typically the only hope is bermuda creeps in from somewhere and its full sun. At least in fall, stuff would have a chance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

The new section of sugar Creek is great. Really enjoying it.

Can I get from there to uptown now without going on roads or at least not major ones? 

absolutely from Polk State Historical Site actually at the SC NC border you can use the trail all the way to uptown and to NoDa.  There is a one section under reconstruction near Atrium hospital there is a detour but other than that yes continuous trails off the roads except for that one detour  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The latest greenway extension (51 to Johnson Rd) is officially "underway".  This will connect multiple apartments neighborhoods to the McMullen greenway.   It will also provide easy grocery store access to not only Lidl but to the new Publix under construction.  There has also been a bevy of re-zoning in the immediate area around Carmel Commons (including multi-family) which will all have access to the extension.  A GC has been selected (Eagle Wood). Visible construction is supposed to be by EOY.  18-24 month construction time line (for 1 mile?!).

Will also include a new parking lot on 51 (but no bathroom facility due to the flooding risk). 

This project was re-railed years ago by Country Day and Carmel Country Club who (along with their neighbors) to quash the extension up the the school. They didn't want poor people to have easy access to their neighborhood of multi-million dollar home off Green Rea. 

Updated alignment map from NC 51 to Johnston

Unrelated note about Carmel Country Club: if you ever drove by and saw cars parked all out front on the grass every damn day...it won't happen anymore...you're welcome.  They thought it was their right to use public right of way to park their cars on the grass because "they don't have enough parking".  LOL. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Unrelated note about Carmel Country Club: if you ever drove by and saw cars parked all out front on the grass every damn day...it won't happen anymore...you're welcome.  They thought it was their right to use public right of way to park their cars on the grass because "they don't have enough parking".  LOL. 

There were cars parked there so much I figured they owned that land. If they don't, I'm glad you did something about it! It looked like it was usually employees forced to park off property for busy days for members like weddings or hot summer days with high pool usage. 

I wonder who put the gravel in there and why there is a little driveway. 

Edited by CLT2014