Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

It says the section between Met Midtown and 7th will be in 2010. I took that to mean north of Charlottetowne Ave, but it is possible they plan to complete it all the way to 3rd this summer. Let us know what the journalist says.

I do agree that that section is good because I found it much easier to cross under 277 at 3rd than on Stonewall

I did write the author of the article, but got only a very brief response. She said the goal was 2010 and she thinks that does include the Target-Home Depot-Thompson's Park section. She added that it all depends on whether they get the money for construction. It sounds like the bad economy might be causing some degree of uncertainty. In the past, they've always talked about a target date of Spring-Summer of 2010 to complete the overall project, but I have no idea if that is still realistic or not. At least we know now that the parts of the greenway near the Metropolitan are right on schedule for a summer debut.

According to the NCDOT TIP, the section between 7th and Baxter is funded from prior years and under construction. 5.5m is in the TIP for this fiscal year (it is not clear what section that is for, but maybe that is for part of the 7th to Baxter section).

The section from Tyvola to 485 is funded in 2014.

• 5 weeks later...

Given all the disappointing news lately about various projects that are being delayed, I was encouraged by what I learned today about the greenway project. I e-mailed Gwen Cook, greenway planner for Park and Rec, and asked her about the status of the overall project and whether the economic problems have led to any delays. Below is her response:

The Sugar Creek Greenway is to be funded by 2008 bonds. Those bonds will not be put up for sale until next year at the earliest. There are few buyers right now. County Finance is watching the market closely, but the remaining 2004 bonds will be sold first.

The 7th to Charlottetowne urban sections of Little Sugar Creek Greenway are mostly moving forward. They are like a linear park and we may have to delay some accessory areas, but the goal of connectivity hasn't changed. We still intend to complete the main trail through the entire project by Spring 2010.

That last sentence is very encouraging. I think the part about maybe having to delay some accessory areas might have to do with one of the CPCC parking lots, lot 3 as they call it, but, overall, it sounds like everything is right on schedule.

Edited by CharlotteDave

Per this weeks County Commissioners' meeting, they are only funding the CPCC parking deck enough to pay for contracts and equipment orders already in the pipeline. After that, the project will go dormant until the economy recovers (years, maybe?). The parking lot (Lot 3) near the creek won't be removed until the deck is finished. (At least the commissioners directed staff to include the "shovel-ready" deck in the county's federal stimulus wish list; reps from the county go to DC next week to deliver their list of stimulus projects.) Assuming this project isn't picked up by Uncle Samta Claus, concrete equipment and such may be stored on a part of Lot 3 for the INDEFINITE future. The total amount to be spent will be $5 million, with the balance of the $20+ million deck held back until the all clear is sounded on the economy (again, years??).

Outside of Midtown, this is probably the key link in the whole Sugar Creek greenway. Hopefully, the feds will help out. Who knows?

Per this weeks County Commissioners' meeting, they are only funding the CPCC parking deck enough to pay for contracts and equipment orders already in the pipeline. After that, the project will go dormant until the economy recovers (years, maybe?). The parking lot (Lot 3) near the creek won't be removed until the deck is finished. (At least the commissioners directed staff to include the "shovel-ready" deck in the county's federal stimulus wish list; reps from the county go to DC next week to deliver their list of stimulus projects.) Assuming this project isn't picked up by Uncle Samta Claus, concrete equipment and such may be stored on a part of Lot 3 for the INDEFINITE future. The total amount to be spent will be $5 million, with the balance of the $20+ million deck held back until the all clear is sounded on the economy (again, years??).

Outside of Midtown, this is probably the key link in the whole Sugar Creek greenway. Hopefully, the feds will help out. Who knows?

Yeah, I saw that part of the county commission meeting when they talked about the parking deck thing. That was actually what prompted me to e-mail Gwen Cook, but based on what she said, that "

We still intend to complete the main trail through the entire project by Spring 2010", it sounds like they think they can work around it. I mean, it seems like she would know if anyone would.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is just a regurgitated story. The bonds for the CPCC section were postponed. I am pretty sure that the bonds are already issued for the section under construction by Midtown and it is unlikely they're stopping that due to the costs of stopping and restarting a project that is already contracted.

I think Dubone could very well be right. In just the last two days I have corresponded with two of the key members of the project: Crystal Taylor, project manager for stream restoration and Jay Higginbotham, project manager for the greenway portion of the project. They both told me that work should begin this May on the Charlottetown to Elizabeth portion of the greenway and take approximatley 12 months. That includes both the stream restoration and the greenway construction, including the Captain Jack Plaza. According to Crystal Taylor, they're preparing to bid the project shortly. It was just yesterday that Jay Higginbotham wrote me about that. I guess it's possible they didn't know what was about to happen, but hopefully it's just old news like Dubone mentioned.

By the way, in recent days they've planted a slew of trees along the greenway near the Metropolitan, so it should have a much different look by early summer.

Well, sorry, CharlotteDave, but the section north of Charlottetowne IS what is being reported as delayed. It is affected like many projects by the delay in issuance of new bonds. It may not be delayed by long if they opt to issue the bonds this summer, but that seems slightly unlikely.

What I am saying is that the section already under construction is a project already borrowed for and already has let contracts for construction. That is the section that should continue on to completion this summer.

I just saw a story on WBT's early news that confirms what Dubone said, so I guess that's that. Perhaps the one remaining hope is to get some help from the stimulus package, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. I do know that greenways are on Mecklenburg County's wish list and apparently pretty high on the list.

Edited by CharlotteDave

I contacted Gwen Cook this morning, the Greenway Planner for Park and Rec, to try and get some clarification about what's going on. Below is her response, which I find pretty encouraging:

We are still hoping to be able to connect the trail itself through from 7th to Morehead at the very least. We are still attempting to sort our priorities between parks and greenways with funds allowed. Things have not completely settled yet, but we are considering these delays, not cutbacks. There will likely be some ancillary areas that must wait until funds are available. We still hope to have the main trail from 7th to Morehead complete by Spring 2010. There are many partners in this effort counting on certain sections being complete.

The latest word from Gwen Cook is that possible delays will occur in completing the restrooms and garden space between the Metropolitan and Pearle Park Way as well as portions of the block between Elizabeth Ave and 4th St. Still, she tells me that as of now, all the sections of greenway are still expected to open in the Spring of 2010. Further north, the greenway from Belmont Ave to 10th Street, will still be completed by the end of 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest word from Gwen Cook is that possible delays will occur in completing the restrooms and garden space between the Metropolitan and Pearle Park Way as well as portions of the block between Elizabeth Ave and 4th St. Still, she tells me that as of now, all the sections of greenway are still expected to open in the Spring of 2010. Further north, the greenway from Belmont Ave to 10th Street, will still be completed by the end of 2010.

Thank you for the updates. I may be biased, but I consider the Little Sugar Creek Greenway to be a signature project for the city, and grow impatient as progress continues to slow....

• 1 month later...

With regard to your question about the greenway, I would recommend that you park at Freedom Park off of East Boulevard. You can access the greenway at several points within the park. You might want to ride your bikes in towards town until the greenway ends at Carolinas Medical Center. Then, you can turn around and ride back the way you came to the end of Freedom Park at Princeton. This adventure will be approximately the two mile ride that you desire. Along the way, enjoy the mallard ducks, various harmless snakes, turtles, herons, cardinals, robins, blue birds, Canadian geese, human animals and the glorious dogwoods, etc.

• 1 month later...

I noticed a dedication ceremony on the new Pearl Park Way Bridge (replacing Scott St. bridge) over the Greenway - this makes the connection between Kings and Kennilworth. And it's a pretty nice looking bridge. I can't wait for the ped bridge just a little further out - it looks like they are taking the wood forms off and about to let the concrete stand alone for the first time...

I just crossed the raging waters of the mighty Sugar Creek on the new bridge! It's very well done in my opinion. The side view incorporating the creek and the skyline is cool. Very convenient for me to go back and forth to TJ's even more. That may not be such a good thing...

Edited by voyager12

My favorite is that that the park is named after a street that is now gone, Pearl St, to be Pearl Street Park. Yet to name a new street after the park, they name it with Park in the name, Pearl Park Way. So we have Pearl Park Way leading to Pearl Street Park and no Pearl Street. (Also, it replaced Baxter Street Bridge, Scott is a little ways away)

I''ve received a couple updates on the Greenway lately that I thought people here might be interested in. Just today Julie Clark of Park & Rec informed me that construction is expected to begin this September on the Charlottetowne to Elizabeth section and that part of the greenway will probably open this fall. There had been some talk about this summer, but apparently that isn't going to happen. I got a more complete update the previous week from Gwen Cook, Greenway Planner for Park & Rec, and have included her entire e-mail message below. Although they have some issues to work around, the overall outlook seems pretty positive.

From Gwen Cook:

Dave,

We are still planning to fund 4th St to Morehead St in their entirety except for an event garden next to the Metropolitan. Elizabeth Park, Elizabeth Ave to 4th St will be bid in about 2 weeks with alternates. We will not be able to construct everything at this time. Phase 1 of the Culinary Arts section, 7th St to Elizabeth Ave, will be completely constructed by this Fall, we think. There will be a gap in the greenway (Phase 2) until CPCC is able to construct the parking deck at 7th St and Charlottetowne Ave and then remove the parking on their Culinary Arts site. However greenway users will be able to get up to 7th Street via streetscape along Kings Dr.

We will complete the greenway through all sections, which is critical to our funding source, NCDOT TIP. We are still planning on a Spring 2010 completion date. That's beginning to look tight for Elizabeth Ave to Charlottetowne Ave, but still doable. That is a very exciting goal around here. What we do will be a wonderful amenity that only gets better it time and with economic recovery.

Thanks for asking! Let me know if you have other questions.

Best Regards,

Gwen Cook

Gwen Cook, RLA

Greenway Planner

Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation

"Life is what happens outside your car"

...GO THE GREENWAY

^hey that reminds me - the section from Belmont Ave leading toward Siegle Point is paved. I noticed it the other day in the car, but haven't actually rode on it yet (because of the rain), so I am not sure how far it actually goes. For the longest time, the gate was closed at Belmont Ave and the pathway was only gravel. Now it appears to have paving and the gate is open... hopefully I'll get to check it out this weekend.