Greater Charleston Projects & Developments

Spartan

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting these tidbits I enjoy reading about the different projects every now and then.  I believe you can post excerpts from the article not 100% sure about that though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The occasional small paragraph is acceptable, but ideally you should not post any copyrighted text.

I tried posting excerpts from some articles, but it wasn't good enough, I guess. I decided to go the safe route and use quotes from the article and paraphrase it in the post. Anyway, I'm happy ya'll are enjoying the tidbits for future Charleston projects. I want to make this thread as comprehensive as possible since many projects are often overlooked in my hometown.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some Charleston road projects that are very good news for people who live in the West Ashley and James Island sections of the city. These projects would really enhance traffic flow in those areas, and allow for better landscaping and streetlighting which is seriously needed in my hometown. Click on the link below for the entire story. Here is a run-down list of the projects:

- One project would involve widening the mostly two-lane section of Harbor View Road to three or four lanes, or by turning selected intersections on the road into roundabouts or installing traffic lights.

- A second project is building a flyover ramp from the James Island Connector toward Oak Point Road where the connector meets Folly Road.

- A third project is for an access ramp from northbound US 17 to the S.C. Highway 61 ramp to the connector; this is one of my favorites. The ramp would begin near Wesley Drive and keep drivers on US 17 from turning onto Wesley and then S.C. 61 before reaching the connector

- The fourth project would change the intersection of Folly and Maybank roads from regular traffic lights to realigning the intersection or building a roundabout. IMO, the roundabout at that intersection is the BEST idea.

County officials said improvements to Harbor View could be done in two years.

James Island projects promise traffic relief

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like Charleston has a bunch of new developments and new businesses involving grocery stores, especially Piggly Wiggly. There is a new 40,000-square-foot Piggly Wiggly supermarket in DT Charleston scheduled to open tomorrow. The store is at 445 Meeting St., a few blocks north of the Charleston Visitors Center. It is replacing the old store located there, which was falling apart and had antiquated facilities.

The Bi-Lo Shopping Center in West Ashley, at the corner of Bees Ferry Road and S.C. Highway 61, is getting future tenants in a new 10,000-square-foot addition to the center. Dry Clean Station, Pizza and Philly Sub Shop and Fantastic Sam's are the business additions. The developers are also trying to get a coffee shop and a fitness center built in. The entire article of new retail developments can be seen by clicking the article below.

New downtown "Pig" ready to open

Well, a developer was finally selected in the DT development for Parcel B, which is a half-acre lot at Concord and Cumberland Streets. The contract was awarded to an affiliate of Estates, Inc., a Columbia-based residential developer that is planning to build 28 one-, two- and three-bedroom luxury condominium units on the site. The other bidder, Faison Enterprises Inc. of Charlotte, submitted two offers for the land, but as usual, there were preservationists who were concerned of the density of the design, which would have been 32 units.

There is also two other redevelopment projects at the intersection of Spring and Ashley Streets DT. A former service station is being converted into new offices for an architecture firm. There is also going to be 4 new housing units on a parking lot across the street at 128 and 130 Spring Street. This is part of some infill projects to renovate a major city thoroughfare. The link for this article is right below.

Committee selects developer for downtown condo project

• 4 weeks later...

Living in Dallas, home of Neiman-Marcus, the recent sale of Neiman Marcus Group was big news. A very reliable source told me NM is planning a Charleston location...has anyone heard anything about this? I'm assuming it would be on or near King Street, perhaps near Saks. This would be so awesome for Charleston!

• 2 weeks later...

Living in Dallas, home of Neiman-Marcus, the recent sale of Neiman Marcus Group was big news. A very reliable source told me NM is planning a Charleston location...has anyone heard anything about this? I'm assuming it would be on or near King Street, perhaps near Saks. This would be so awesome for Charleston!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not heard of the group relocating to Charleston. Why would that be big news? I'm not familiar with Neiman-Marcus...would relocating to Charleston give a provision for building a significant HQ project? In what business do they specialize?

Here is some more good news for in-fill development fans, myself included in that demographic, of course! An aging West Ashley shopping center is going to get remodeled and will have some new tenants. The center, Pinepoint Plaza, is located in a busy corridor off S.C. Highway 61, near Paul Cantrell Boulevard. A large portion of the plaza had been vacant since the anchor tenant, Winn-Dixie, closed last summer, leaving behind 40,000 square feet of empty space.

LifeQuest Health and Wellness, a Charleston-area health club, will occupy about 27,000 square feet, and a medical office will take over the remaining Winn-Dixie space. Once occupied, the Beach Co. will start a renovation project changing the metal facade of the center to stucco. Considering Pinepoint's location, this renovation and filling the old space are long overdue. The main article is in the link below.

New tenants breathe life into West Ashley center

I have not heard of the group relocating to Charleston. Why would that be big news? I'm not familiar with Neiman-Marcus...would relocating to Charleston give a provision for building a significant HQ project? In what business do they specialize?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neiman Marcus is an upscale department story along the lines of Saks, one of those places you will definitely want to keep your new bride out of. :P I don't think the poster meant that there HQ was moving to Chas, they were just opening a new location in Chas. I haven't seen that in print though.

Needless Markup is a common nick name for Neiman Marcus.

Welcome back from the honeymoon, BTW.

Neiman Marcus is an upscale department story along the lines of Saks, one of those places you will definitely want to keep your new bride out of.  :P  I don't think the poster meant that there HQ was moving to Chas, they were just opening a new location in Chas.  I haven't seen that in print though. 

Needless Markup is a common nick name for Neiman Marcus. 

Welcome back from the honeymoon, BTW.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Search the Charlotte forum about their new Neiman-Marcus store at South Park Mall. Opening day was literally a madhouse (there were some pics of the massive crowds waiting) Women go crazy for this store, and having one would be a VERY big deal, particularly since they don't normally locate in a city the size of Charleston.

There's not a Neiman-Marcus in Charlotte just yet...however, my source told me just today that there will definitely be a new store opening at South Park Mall in October 2006...but, to my disappointment, there will not be a Charleston store after all...not yet. I guess I'm really not surprised...Charleston is still a very small market for the likes of Neiman-Marcus or Nordstrom. I honestly still can't believe they have a Saks. Oh, well. At least we know Charleston is on the radar!

There's not a Neiman-Marcus in Charlotte just yet...however, my source told me just today that there will definitely be a new store opening at South Park Mall in October 2006...but, to my disappointment, there will not be a Charleston store after all...not yet. I guess I'm really not surprised...Charleston is still a very small market for the likes of Neiman-Marcus or Nordstrom. I honestly still can't believe they have a Saks. Oh, well. At  least we know Charleston is on the radar!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats right, it was Nordstrom that opened in South Park. Its all the same to me :wacko:

There's not a Neiman-Marcus in Charlotte just yet...however, my source told me just today that there will definitely be a new store opening at South Park Mall in October 2006...but, to my disappointment, there will not be a Charleston store after all...not yet. I guess I'm really not surprised...Charleston is still a very small market for the likes of Neiman-Marcus or Nordstrom. I honestly still can't believe they have a Saks. Oh, well. At  least we know Charleston is on the radar!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, now I remember what Neiman-Marcus is. When I got married, we stayed at the Hyatt in Charlotte since that is where we needed to fly to our connection. We went to South Park mall right across the street, and I remember what a nice, classy mall it was. There was a construction sign on one of the wings of the mall which said that Neiman-Marcus was to be built there, so Robtex, you are correct. I also remember my bride getting all excited when she saw that sign...so you're also right vic, I probably want to watch out for her going in there the next time we're in Charlotte. :D

That is disappointing that Charleston will not be getting a NM store, but I could see the city getting one in the near future. DT King Street is becoming an upscale open-air mall on the same level as South Park.

Good news to jump-start work on the many needed road projects in the Charleston area. The county just signed a five-year contract with a transportation consultant, The LPA Group Inc. This deal, which could be worth more than $31 million over the next five years, is a major step in the county's spending of its new half-cent sales tax money. The company will begin work on the initial bond program, which covers upgrades to Johnnie Dodds Boulevard, the Glenn McConnell Parkway, James Island's roads, Savannah Highway and a new road in the North area. Mainly, they will be drafting and designing a new comprehensive transportation management plan with the tax money coming in. Here's the article link below:

Charleston County signs roadwork deal

The link below has an article which gives some good news in the redevelopment of the old Charleston Naval Base into a new port terminal. Congress approved $10 million to prepare for building a port access road off of I-26. It was part of the federal highway bill passed on Friday, and it is the catalyst for starting construction on the new terminal. More good news for the area's residents: SCDOT would choose the most southern route of three alternatives for access to the port. It's commonly referred to as the Pittsburg Corridor, one that would run across Shipyard Creek through or around the old Macalloy plant property and along Pittsburg Avenue to the interstate in a current industrial area. Local residents and lawmakers did not want the other two routes, which would have brought truck traffic through the Union Heights community at the southern end of the North area.

$10M paves way for new port facility

Exactly. However, I think they need to speed up the process with building the new port terminal because ports like Savannah, Norfolk, and Jacksonville are becoming highly competitive with Charleston's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jacksonville just signed a deal with a Japanese shipper to boast total port tonage 50%, which will bring it into the same league as Savannah and Charleston.

Jacksonville just signed a deal with a Japanese shipper to boast total port tonage 50%, which will bring it into the same league as Savannah and Charleston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o Ouch! Where did you find that, vic? The T/U? I'll take a look at that. You know, I hate being right sometimes, but this is just another example! ;) Seriously though, once the SPA hears this news, there will be more and more reasons to quicken the pace of building the port access road to Charleston's newest terminal and completing the terminal. According to that article in P/C, there is another larger proposed terminal next to the future Veteran's Terminal. Let's hope this news in Jax gets the community leaders' feet moving quicker.

Archived