Greater Charleston Projects & Developments

Spartan

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think using Boston and Savannah as role models is a big step down for Charleston. Charleston is the best at historic preservation, much better than either of those cities. Charleston's plan to place large buildings around Marion Square and along Upper Meeting Street is much more intelligent than Savannah's haphazard way of building taller buildings smack in the middle of their most historic areas. And to make it worse, most of Savannah's taller buildings are major eyesores. And Boston? That's like comparing apples and oranges. Only the most historic and famous of Boston's colonial buildings still remain, which was probably unavoidable considering Boston's huge population and commercial importance.

Personally, I tend to be sympathetic to the preservation movement in Charleston, but I think some of the groups are wasting their ammunition on projects that won't seriously diminish Charleston's charm. I say some because not all preservationists are against the taller buildings around Marion Square. However, to understand what life would be like without the preservation movement, you only need to look at some of the horrible losses Charleston suffered when their influence was not as strong. Take the Charleston Orphan House for instance, which used to stand at the corner of Calhoun and St. Phillip. It was considered the most imposing building in Charleston, built in 1794, but it was torn down in the 1950's to make way for a Sears & Roebucks. At the time, the preservationists fought hard, but lost. Now the site is used for unoffensive, but rather bland C of C dorms. Imagine if the college had use of this building instead.

1140429201385_SC_Orphan_home.jpg

You are right, the Orphan House was a huge, tragic loss . . and there are other examples, the Charleston Hotel, for one.

I think that Savannah has done a fine job of preservation. They might not have as many Revolutionary or even ante-bellum architecture as Charleston, but they beat us with examples of subsequent styles. I LIKE the mix of old and new there and elsewhere, just so the new is not at the expense of the old, of course. Charleston should ditch any resistance to mixing styles for infill or re-development projects. A requirement that new buildings MUST "fit in" with the surroundings, i.e., be built only in the neo-Classical style or what-have-you leads not only to mediocrity, but a bland, homogenous city. One of Savannah's greatest strengths is its exuberant mix of ALL styles. I personally wish Charleston had more heterogeny, not less.

I think that Savannah has done a fine job of preservation.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on Savannah. I've been there probably twenty times in my life, but the last time I was there, maybe a year ago, I was a little surprised at how ugly some of the taller buildings are. There is one particular brick midrise that resembles the Ashley House in Charleston. It seemed to dominate the area around the cathedral. Just dull, dull, dull. (Hopefully no one from Savannah is reading this.) Personally, I hope (and think) Charleston will do a much better job when it builds taller buildings.

I lived in NYC for eight years, and it gave me an appreciation for my hometown's unique beauty. Honestly, I think sometimes in Charleston people have an inferiority complex. They want the city to become more like some other city. I don't understand it. If you want New York, move to New York. Or at least Atlanta or Miami. Perhaps living there will give you a better understanding of what makes Charleston unique. Let our city continue to play to its strengths. Charleston's reputation will surely suffer if it choses conformity.

That being said, I agree with you that it's a mistake to require every building to look antiquated. Charleston is a city with a great visual rhythm. Just walk down its streets and your eye catches on mediocrity and ugliness just because it looks so out of place here. New buildings should be judged on how they maintain this level of visual excellence. I think some of the newer steel-and-glass MUSC towers look very modern and enhance the beauty of Charleston. As long as buildings enhance the beauty of the city, it shouldn't matter whether they are traditional or not, but downtown Charleston really isn't falling behind when it comes to planning for the future. Our city doesn't need to emulate anyone else.

Any pictures of it available? I wasn't even aware of that fact. I need to brush up on my Palmetto state history.

I had always wondered where the old state house was, because GA has one in Milledgeville. The state house used to sit at the four corners of law in Charleston.

I did a quick search, and I wasn't exactly correct. The old state house did burn down, butit was in 1788...

"The first State House [was] located in Charleston. It was built at the northwest corner of Broad and Meeting streets. Used for approximately 33 years, this State House was destroyed by fire on February 5, 1788. By this time another State House was already under construction in Columbia so the Charleston State House was reconstructed and used as a district courthouse.

In 1786 the city of Columbia was voted by the General Assembly as the new capital city of South Carolina and a new State House was built there. The South Carolina General Assembly convened for the first time in Columbia in January 1789 at the new State House. Seventy six years later, it was destroyed by fire when Columbia was burned by Sherman's troops on the night of February 17, 1865."

Images

The Old State House

1sthouse.gif

New Court House

oldhouse.gif

This is the only rendering of it that I have ever seen. If anyone else has seen antoher or has access to it, please post that information here!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Projects like this will continue to bring more people into the DT area. The residential units the developer has proposed are not the typical vacation condos that vacationers buy. They will be fully functional, year-round homes for residents who want urban living in the heart of the historic district.

Thats a great point. The preservation effort in Charleston was the first of its kind in the nation. The city owes its success to those efforts. That said, it should not be blinded by them. Even its contemporary sister cities like Boston and New Orleans have allowed some more modern construction.

:blush: Oops, I missed a big section about preservation and did not elaborate on my point. However, Spartan, you did a great job in this post summing it up. What you wrote definitely expresses my point of view. Preservation is good, but we must be careful in being in the "preservationists' amen corner". ;)

Wow, alot of new construction projects for DT and West Ashley areas got approved by the BAR yesterday. Good stuff as Chas continues to densify. The P & C link for the story is below. Among the projects greenlighted were:

• Condominiums on upper Meeting Street along the East Side neighborhood, being five stories tall with 59 units
  • MUSC's new dental school building, which will be 96,000 square feet and six stories
  • Mixed-use development on Cumberland Street
  • Ripley Point Condos, a 5-story, 46-unit development

Multiple projects meet BAR approval

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news for downtown Charleston. A culinary school is coming to the Carroll building (on East Bay and Market). It's an interesting place for a school, right in the middle of the tourist district, but I imagine they'll occupy the upper floors and allow teh ground floor to remain a restaurant. I think the Noisy Oyster is there right now. The school is a branch of the Art Institutes, a company which runs a wide variety of "practical" art schools across the country. Once the culinary school is established, they plan to also offer classes in fashion, web design, photography, etc.

From comments made in the P&C article by a local chef, it appears this school won't be as prestigious or as comprehensive as Johnson & Wales. It will, however, offer people a choice who are looking to change careers. The article is here.

Archived