Greater Charleston Projects & Developments

Spartan

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article today about the amount of homes that have remained for sale a considerably longer period of time in Mt. P. This should possibly cool off some of the residents' get-rich-quick-schemes which have perpetuated throughout the metro area, but especially east of the Cooper. Many residents would buy a home, fix it up, then sell it to another buyer at a higher price. It's one of the reasons real estate prices have been inflated in the Chas area. The link is below...

As "For Sale" Signs Linger, Some Worry

Thats still an issue of some contention. John's Island doesnt want it and the new Town of James Island claims to not want it, though I think they are crazy for not wanting it.

So you answer is we just don't know yet. ;)

My guess is that it will happen sooner or later.

Sounds like you're talking about I-526.... I'm talking about Glen McConnell in West Ashley.... I've heard that they're going to extend it all the way out to Summerville.

As for 526, I hope they do take it out the James Island connector. Hopefully if they do it will alleviate the hellish intersection there at 17 and Folly Road or whatever that road is that goes out to James Island. I have to drive that just about every day. I hate that there's no turn-only lane so the right lane is always backed up for forever.

IMO, they should just make that right lane the turn lane and the left lane go straight since it all merges into one lane right before the Ashley River Bridge anway. Either that, or they need to make it two lanes all the way to the bridge. (Did that make sense? :blink:) That merge is dangerous, I've almost wrecked there.

Hey IRoam, nice avatar! I've only heard plans to extend the Glenn McConnell to Summerville, but actually veer left from the plantations that are nearby and intersect further down SC 165. To be even more ridiculous, planners have suggested that Glenn McConnell proceed north around Summerville and end at I-26! I guess that makes sense with the growth patterns, but I really think the Parkway should be extended further west and end at I-95 near Walterboro. Chas needs another link to I-95, especially for a hurricane evacuation, and this highway would be the most logical link. The highway could be named I-326 or I-726, much like Greenville's I-385.

As for I-526, there should be no question as to what needs to be done. This circle was planned for Chas 35 years ago, and the Johns/James Island link is the last segment which would complete the circle. Leave it to the rednecks of the town of James Island to continue opposition and obstructionism.

Will it never end? More NIMBY's on James Island seem to come out everyday, and the article below highlights another instance of this case. There are plans to develop a 52-unit multifamily subdivision on Ferguson Road, on 11 acres that have been in the Brown family for a century. Four of the five Browns plan to live in the development, their attorney said.

Residents of the roughly 20-year-old Riverland Crossing subdivision across the street from the property, several Chas city councilmen, and some other residents of the island were concerned about traffic and protested the plan, even though some opponents said the development was well-designed, with every large tree on the property.

One of the best quotes on here is from Carolyn Smith of the Ferguson Village community: "The folks in Riverland Crossing brought the traffic first." Luckily, the subdivision was approved by the city of Chas.

Subdivision OK'd despite traffic protests

^ I should've remembered that one, matey...arrrr! :D Well, I did a little reviewing in P & C's Business Review, and I came across an article that has not been reported here. Hyatt Hotels could be considering building a 250-room hotel near the airport around the ever-growing Centre Point area. The article link is below.

Hyatt may be in works for site near airport

^ I should've remembered that one, matey...arrrr! :D Well, I did a little reviewing in P & C's Business Review, and I came across an article that has not been reported here. Hyatt Hotels could be considering building a 250-room hotel near the airport around the ever-growing Centre Point area. The article link is below.

Hyatt may be in works for site near airport

that's great news!!! that makes a hyatt (if it happens) and an ALOFT hotel at the airport :thumbsup:

Nice avatar indeed. Did you celebrate Talk Like a Pirate Day on Tuesday? ;)

Hey IRoam, nice avatar! I've only heard plans to extend the Glenn McConnell to Summerville, but actually veer left from the plantations that are nearby and intersect further down SC 165. To be even more ridiculous, planners have suggested that Glenn McConnell proceed north around Summerville and end at I-26! I guess that makes sense with the growth patterns, but I really think the Parkway should be extended further west and end at I-95 near Walterboro. Chas needs another link to I-95, especially for a hurricane evacuation, and this highway would be the most logical link. The highway could be named I-326 or I-726, much like Greenville's I-385.

Thanks guys :D No, I didn't really celebrate talk like a pirate day, unless of course indulging in some rum counts ;)

I think they definitely need to make another loop off I-26. Starting around Wando High School, going up towards Goose Creek and Summerville, and coming back towards West Ashley, perhaps ending near the Red Top area. Making another connection to I-95 would be a godsend. They need to make I-26 at least three lanes all the way to 95, if not all the way to Columbia.

Thanks guys :D No, I didn't really celebrate talk like a pirate day, unless of course indulging in some rum counts ;)

I think they definitely need to make another loop off I-26. Starting around Wando High School, going up towards Goose Creek and Summerville, and coming back towards West Ashley, perhaps ending near the Red Top area. Making another connection to I-95 would be a godsend. They need to make I-26 at least three lanes all the way to 95, if not all the way to Columbia.

I-26 needs to be 3 lanes each way from Charleston to Spartanburg, IMO.

I don't agree with a nother ring road. That wouldnt help Charleston's sprawl at all. They DO need to find some alternate routes from N Chas to West Ashley and Summerville though.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't big news, but its good to see in the city of Chas' Daniel Island area. The Downtown Daniel Island project, a 10-acre mixed-use development in Daniel Island's commercial district, has signed several new tenants: Orlando-based Systems Research Group Inc., Mid-America Overseas Inc., and Custom Kabinet Designs. The link is below.

Daniel Island commercial district additions

• 4 weeks later...

More development in Daniel Island: the completion of the first phase of BenefitFocus' new international corporate HQ, about 65,000 square feet. When the 2nd phase is completed, the entire campus will have 2 buildings with over 140,000 square feet of office space. Below is a link of their expansion announcement.

Benefitfocus Announces Major Expansion

Mount Pleasant Towne Centre is going to have some new tenants. A Men's Wearhouse, the 2nd location in the Chas area, is expected to open in the shopping complex before the holidays. A Calendar Club will set up shop in the old Chico's space after Chico's moves to its new location in the center.

Also in Goose Creek, a new Lowe's opened on Tuesday. A grand-opening celebration is set for today. The store measures about 117,000 square feet, with a 32,000-square-foot garden center.

Mt. P and Goose Creek news

^ With all that expansion being planned in Berkeley County, Lowe's knew it would get a huge market.

Some more news on developments: the Parisian store in Citadel Mall is slated to being closed and sold. It is one of 11 Parisian locations being shed by Belk, since the company decided it would be too close to an already existing (and really nice) Belks store in the mall. The P & C conducted an informal poll of shoppers about what franchise they would like to locate in Parisian, once it shuts down at the end of the year. Shoppers had Kohl's, JC Penney's, and Macy's as the top picks.

More than likely, Penney's will get its Citadel Mall location back...the old one was demolished and is now occupied by Target. However, I really wish a more upscale franchise would consider the mall, like Nordstrom's. Some people have said it is overrated, but it offers top notch brands. It would also cater to higher income residents and tourists on Johns and Kiawah Island.

Shoppers suggest Penney, Macy's for Parisian space

^ heh heh, isn't that interesting? ^_^ Remember how the P & C downplayed its information of 117,000 homes planned? Not even a full year later, we see an increase to over 135,000! Remarkable. Truly remarkable. And scary...

Chas is sitting on the tip of a boom, but I do think the city needs to ensure that these homes are for new residents or old returning natives looking to locate jobs and businesses in the region.

That's a huge number. This quote jumped out at me:

And it has shocked some into rethinking the region's growth plans while encouraging others about the region's long-term economic vitality.

Next thing you know, Keith Summey will come to the realization that his city has a crime problem, and Charleston will realize that highrises can peacefully co-exist with historic structures.

I wonder if I might wind up in Charleston some day?

Archived