Greater Charleston Projects & Developments

Spartan

Here is one article on it.  Re-reading this, the expansion could potentially double the current tonage at Jaxport. 

Jaxport lands major expansion

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. After reading this article, one can see just how serious a contender Jax will be. The port of Jax could hurt Charleston's port in the near future because the city has 2 major interstates to distribute imported goods throughout the country which also allows for quicker export to other countries. Since the city is also attracting major corporations to relocate HQs, especially some industrial ones, Jax could eventually takeover Savannah and Charleston's port tonage. What I find perplexing is why the P & C has not even reported on any of this?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet! I just stumbled upon another article in today's P & C talking specifically about my hometown's port, and there is good news. The Port of Charleston handled a record number of shipping containers in its latest fiscal year, outpacing Savannah and Norfolk, in both growth and volume. Trade was boosted with major imports from China and India as well as an increase in exports to those and other Asian countries. The SPA president says this surge in port business should provide a major selling point to build the terminals on 260 acres of the old Navy base.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=35580

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about Charleston's role in the shipping business. I caught a few articles not to long ago about Charlestons port efficiency in asian trade publications. The fact that Evergreen SE headquarters is located in Charleston is an indication to the ports strength and appeal. We definitely need port expansion though to stay competitive for future business.

And don't forget that Charleston is working to expand its ports too. It won't let Jax get the upper hand ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

B) That's good to know! I just wish the progress on port expansion would move quicker. Sometimes, I just can't stand how slow the bureaucracy takes to get projects like this accomplished.

Eight story mixed use structure being planned;

Interesting new development plan for Marion Square mall. From what I gather some people dont like the thought of buildings over 3 or 4 floors in this area of downtown. I was speaking to someone the other day about this development and the 8 story hotel going up on the other side of Marion Square where the old county library was and they were shocked and didnt think it was a good idea to build that tall in this part of downtown.

These developments are great news to me, they will add to the well established urban fabric of downtown. I have a feeling these condos will sell very fast and hopefully that will spur even more development of this kind.

Change sought for King, Calhoun corner

The PrimeSouth Group's preliminary plan calls for the demolition of the Marion Square shopping center at King and Calhoun streets. The low-rise retail complex would be replaced by an eight-story structure with 52 condo units atop two floors of commercial space, said Philip Woollcott, a principal in the company.

Also, Woollcott said, the building would be connected to a new parking garage that could hold about 200 vehicles but would be mostly hidden from public view.

Now that is the kind of development I like to see. I have no doubt that with Charleston's zoning an anal retentive historic preservationists will pay off big time with this structure, and it will look great :)

This just occured to me: isnt there a rather large music store at that location? I believe it said the SE corner in the article?.

Here is the image from their GIS dated in 2001.

cityCharlestonSC_KingCalhoun_aerial.jpg

Thanks for posting this.

oh, and 8 stories is not that tall. The Francis Marion Hotel has to be at least that tall. I am certain that Charleston will not allow their streets to be lined with these "highrises"

It also says that the first four floors of the proposed building will be flush with the existing sidewalks on King and Calhoun, while the upper floors would be set back.

Does anyone have any other info about the 8 story hotel at the old library site?

THat is interesting. I guess those businesses will be relocating. Perhaps MIllenium will reappear in the new building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

....the article says they are in negotiations with the current tenants....although I'm not sure they can accomodate the restaurant....the rooftop location is kind of what makes it what it is.

oh, and 8 stories is not that tall. The Francis Marion Hotel has to be at least that tall. I am certain that Charleston will not allow their streets to be lined with these "highrises"

Francis Marion Hotel is 12 stories, much taller than the proposed 8 story building. I lived in that area of Charleston at 369 King Street in 1982-83 & often did breakfast or brunch at the hotel restaturant there with ex-partner Carl J. Eklund who died here in his native San Francisco in 1986. Carl owned the 369 King Street building & ran a fantastic bookstore with a half dozen employees on the lst floor called Harpagon Books; living quarters were on the 2nd & 3rd floor and were never finished as I far as I can remember...

But in typical Charleston-fashion I love to read about, Historic Charleston Foundation & Preservation Society are already set against the approved rezoning from "general business" to "urban commercial," that will increase the number of condos to be developed...

"There has to be a balance," said Robert M. Gurley, assistant director of the Preservation Society of Charleston. "We're concerned that urban commercial (zoning) is upsetting that balance."

Christopher King of the Historic Charleston Foundation warned that the outcome could be "an eight-story building looming over Marion Square," and urged that the application be withdrawn.

King-Calhoun rezoning

Since I was in Charleston I took a picture of the Millenium Music site for this new 8 story tower:

cityCharlestonSC_summer05_004_sm.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! The corner looks much nicer than I remember in 1991, which was the last time I was in Charleston. I remember also in '91 a half-empty Marion Square Mall & a tacky little burger joint decorated with a lot of orange colors...I like the current look! Reminds me of parts of my own neighborhood along Noe Street in the Castro district...

Hey Zahc, you beat me to the punch for posting the P & C article! :lol: Again, in typical Charleston fashion, somebody hates reasonable progress and will probably ensure that it takes years for this building to be built.

Initially, I did not want the Millieneum Music building to be demolished or changed at all. I actually like the modern architecture that the top of the building provides to Marion Square. I was also very worried that a spectacular view of the park and the DT area would be taken away if the rooftop restaurant and bar was removed. However, I think a taller 8-story building is a great step in the right direction only if The Terrace has a place on its roof (which, BTW, would be an even more spectacular view!).

8 stories is insignificant in comparison to the 12-story Francis Marion hotel, to be certain. As a matter of fact, having an 8-story building on the opposite corner would create a more urban atmosphere surrounding the park...especially if the planned 8-story hotel is built on the land where the old library is.

What really disappoints me is the sheer idiocy of guys like Christopher King; what kind of quote is that?!?! An 8-story building "looming" over Marion Square? :blink: What does he think the Francis Marion does?!?!

I can understand why people would be against alot of highrises in Charleston. But they are only planning a few to increase density. We aren't talking about NYC here :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! It seems that in my hometown, if the building is more than 4-stories, it's too tall. <_< Density and height need to be increased, and I think the Marion Square project is a good start for doing that.

In the article link below, you will read of the Charleston Commissioners of Public Works' plan to extend its water and sewer utility lines which will cost about $40 million to implement. They have a Daniel Island Wastewater Treatment Plant, which is fast approaching its capacity, but developments from Daniel Island and the Cainhoy peninsula are expected to generate up to 10 million gallons of daily sewage when they are built out, as early as 2008. Extending the lines to the treatment plant on James Island will allow for the currently planned developments to proceed, but they might have to be built in phases to allow for the plants to keep up. In other words, this could slow down growth in that sector of the city.

There were plans to build an extension of the Daniel Island plant and to built another one in the Cainhoy area, but those seem to be stalled. If newer plants are built, I think the Cainhoy area would explode with growth, but with Clements Ferry Road being the only main route through there, it seems logical to extend the lines for now.

Development prompts sewage expansion

Here we go with some typical, idiotic comments from Eugene Platt, James Island Public Service District Commissioner. The PSD Commission passed a resolution urging County Council to pass a development moratorium. Is there any wonder that many people are starting to think of James Island organizations, the pseudo-town included, as bass ackwards in their way of thinking? Of course people like Charleston Homebuilders Association Vice President Phillip Ford plan to fight any effort to revive talk of a moratorium. Here is his quote:

"It's just going to drive up the cost of housing and put people out of work. That's something we don't need," he said. "I don't think it's good business for the county."

Here is the link for the article today:

PSD Commission wants County to pass moratorium

• 3 weeks later...

Holder Properties planning to build 100,000-square-foot office facility

Looks like a developer decided to act on the lack of office space. This building has no tenants lined up. Hopefully everything works out for them. They are pricing it at 24.50 a square foot. The building will be 4 stories fronting Interstate 526.

Holder Properties, the developer of the proposed 100,000-square-foot Ashley Overlook at the Executive Center at Faber Place, hopes to have the North Charleston building ready by next July. It is scheduled to buy the land next month.

Interesting note: this is the same developer that built the Meridian building in Columbia. This will be their first property in Charleston.

Archived