Greater Charleston Projects & Developments

Spartan

Actually, some developers list their address as Charleston even if their project was built in the north area. All this building will be is an addition to the pseudo-office park located around I-526 and Leeds Avenue. Personally, I think this should be the last new building there. More focus needs to be given to properties in the Neck and Noisette project areas.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charleston city council made some important steps recently in height restrictions in parts of downtown. Though this may seem as a hinderance for those wishing high rise development, a plan unveiled by a city council member states that the idea is to keep hih rises away fromresidential neighborhoods in downtown Charleston. What the latest plan does is focus more high rise buildings toward the spine of downtown. This is what the city wants. The high rise construction around Marion square was approved.

Wow....could we actually be seeing a true skyline in Charleston emerge over the next few years?

Here's to hoping and praying for that! :)

Actually, in addition to the buildings being approved around Marion Square, the article in the link below reveals that the DT Holiday Inn is looking to expand. The Holiday Inn Historic District is seeking city approval to add 37 guest rooms and meeting space to its property at Calhoun and Meeting streets. They want to raze an adjacent building at 310 Meeting St. and build a five-story structure on the site, and it would connect to the existing 126-room hotel.

They're trying to be more competitive with other hotels DT as far as occupancy and the ability to accomodate larger meeting groups. 119 parking slots will be made for the expansion wing underneath the structure. Keep in mind that this hotel is a block away from a proposed 8-story, 185-room hotel on Marion Square which is expected to break ground next year.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=42976

In the article link below, there is good news in helping to improve East Bay Street where the new bridge is. This section will need additional improvements of course, but this is a great start in establishing bike and pedestrian connections from East Bay to the bridge bikepath. The city of Charleston, with the help of the DOT, has secured a $460,000 federal enhancement grant to extend the bridge's bicycle and pedestrian path from its end at Cooper Street and Morrison Drive to the corner of Chapel and East Bay streets. The plan will involve shifting the fence at the Columbus Street port terminal to accomodate room for the 10-foot-wide path. The project also includes traffic upgrades at Columbus and East Bay streets (by the old Cigar Factory), including pedestrian-controlled signals, crosswalks and a new bus stop.

These improvements are just the first steps in creating more bike and pedestrian traffic throughout DT. What I don't understand is that why the improvements weren't already studied and planned to coincide the bridge construction. As a side note, the city is looking to acquire a parking area on the DT side which is currently being used for free.

City to build East Bay Street path to new bridge

The bike/walking path down East Bay from the bridge will be great. I agree it would have been better if the city had anticipated this beforehand, but nevertheless its great to see the city take action.

The speed of drivers on East Bay is an issue. I wonder how speeds can be reduced without clogging/backing up traffic. Speed bumps? Traffic lights?

On another note. I wonder if we will see parts of King Street (lower part) become pedestrian only zones.

There would have to be more frequent lights narrower streets, and more pedestrian activity to slow it down.

I could see Lower King as a 'buses only' street, which could lead it towards allowing an LRT to go through without impeding traffic while promoting mass transit. But I'm not sure how that affects parking along the side streets near there.

• 3 weeks later...

College of Charleston plans large construction project

The College of Charleston is embarking on a $56 million project to add beds and parking in an effort to house more students on campus.

The plan calls for a five-story, 450-bed freshman dormitory, including 18,500 square feet of ground-level retail space.

In addition, a seven-story, 200-bed apartment building for upperclassmen will be built, a structure that would include a 24,000-square-foot student cafeteria.

The dorms will wrap around a parking garage that can hold 575 vehicles, and the project could be ready for students by the fall of 2007.

CofC has been needing this for a long time, hopefully this flies through review and gets approved. I would like to see even more on campus housing than this but this is a great start.

I was wondering the same thing, I know a couple of spots around the campus are open pavement parking lots which are likely candidates.

I know there is a lot at Calhoun and Coming that could be used for something much more dense... I would assume that they would just buy the garage form the city then, rather than build their own.

It will be on St. Phillip between George and Liberty streets which currently has a city owned parking garage.

This garage is more centrally located to the university, so it makes sense for them to build these projects there. This is great news for future students at C of C. Spartan, I'm with you on that lot on Calhoun and Coming Streets. Believe it or not, the lot used to be a motel converted to C of C dorms. They tore it down for the parking lot, but I firmly believe that the lot should at least be a multi-story parking garage. They could build that, then get rid of some the meter parking that backs traffic up on Calhoun.

The article link below has some interesting developments taking place in Wild Dunes, a beachside resort on Isle of Palms. It is a $183 million expansion to build "The Village" as it's named. Construction of the first phase of the project is scheduled begin around mid-month of this month and includes 115 condominiums, 19,925 square feet of retail and restaurant space, 7,000 square feet for an expanded spa and fitness center, and a 10,000-square-foot conference center.

The article also outlines a densifying project to be built in Mt. Pleasant. Some real estate firms are planning to build loft-style residential units as part of mixed-use development within the Park West subdivision. Plans call for building live-above-work units, lofts, luxury condos and town homes. The project will also have 128,000 square feet of commercial space for national and local retail and restaurant tenants. This is really good stuff for the East Cooper side of the city.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=47427

It will be interesting to see how they accomplish the project. You're right, there isn't very much land for expansion, but I have been on the resort before, and there were some older areas of brush and trees near the main swimming pool. The cool thing about this is that it is a densification project and not just another massive housing development. They will be building up rather than out, so it might create a miniature "urban" area near the beach.

The Ponds development in Summerville was approved in its second-reading by Dorchester County Council. They approved for rezoning of about 2,000 acres near the Ashley River close to U.S. Highway 17A and Dorchester Road. Over the next 10 years, the contractors will build houses, apartments and a village center with schools and shops. There will be a total of 1,950 houses included in the project. The developers will also set up a foundation for the preservation of 1,100 acres near the river and Schulz Lake, donate land for two public schools; give the YMCA $3 million to build a recreational center and donate $500,000 and the land for a fire station and emergency medical services center.

The Ponds project gets approved

Tanger Outlet Center to bring 90 brand-name and designer outlet stores to the Charleston area.

A new Tanger Factory Outlet Center in North Charleston will create more than 900 jobs at some 90 stores.

http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/1105/276323.html

I still don't know what I think of this in terms of competition with local retailers but the shopping should be nice.

The stores will be Liz Claiborne, Tommy Hilfiger, The Gap, Borders Books, 9 West, Timberland, Banana Republic, Eddie Bauer, Adidas and Sketchers... plus many more. Anyone know if there is a full list somewhere?

SunTrust to Expand in Charleston, South Carolina

SunTrust Banks, Inc. (NYSE: STI) today announced it will significantly expand its presence in the high-growth Charleston, S.C. market.

Preliminary plans are to open 16 branches over the next three years and employ more than 100 people in the greater Charleston area including Mount Pleasant and Summerville. SunTrust's first branches in the area are projected to open in the second quarter of 2006.

According to Chuck Perry, chairman, president and CEO of SunTrust's South Carolina region, headquarters for local operations will be the current location of the SunTrust Mortgage office at 145 King Street in Charleston. That location will be expanded to include a branch and other office space.

There have been a ton of new banks opening in the area including quite a few local based start-ups.

This ought to show people in the state and the country that Charleston is only beginning to boom. Expansion of financial and medical services with new banks and expanding of hospitals is only the tip of the iceberg. Remember, they're trying to cover the current market with these new facilities along with preparing for future growth.

Archived