Greater Charleston Projects & Developments

Spartan

*chanting* Sky-scra-pers! Sky-scra-pers! Sky-scra-pers!

:lol: Yes! Yes! Let them come and add grace and superiority to the Charleston skyline!! :D The revolution of the "Holy City" is about to begin...

To answer your question sonofaque, there are some height restrictions in the north area due to the Air Force Base/Int'l Airport. There aren't any in the Noisette development, I believe. So skyscrapers could be considered there, but the start of a possible skyscraper building craze is more likely to occur in the medical complex area and in the area known as the Neck where the Magnolia project is. When building a skyscraper, real estate appeal and proximity to a pristine location is what developers look for, and many parts of the north area aren't pristine just yet. Closeness to the new Cooper River bridge, historical DT, and a rumored shopping center equivalent to the Mt. P Town Center or Village at Sandhills in the Neck will probably attract the first concepts of office and condo towers there.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some new developments are occurring in East Cooper. The final phase of construction at The Shoppes at Seaside Farms has begun. The Shoppes will expand with an additional 37,000 square feet of retail and second floor office space. This area is part of the commercial/retail portion of the 500-acre mixed development located at the intersection of the Isle of Palms Connector and Rifle Range Road.

Final construction phase begins at The Shoppes at Seaside Farms

Wow, I just came across a condo complex that I had no idea was being built. The complex is called the Ashley River Club. It is a development of condos and townhouses that is being proposed to be built West Ashley. It has excellent artwork and a pretty good landuse plan.

As a side note, please ignore the right hand note on the 2nd page of the linked article that says its in West Ashley, SC. There is no city of West Ashley, this is a suburban section of the city of Charleston. :P

Ashley River Club

Wow, I just came across a condo complex that I had no idea was being built. The complex is called the Ashley River Club. It is a development of condos and townhouses that is being proposed to be built West Ashley. It has excellent artwork and a pretty good landuse plan.

Saw the proposed condos. They look pretty good, but I can't get over the fact that they're planning to ask a million dollars for a condo in West Ashley with a river view. Wow! I just wonder how many millionaires are moving to the Charleston area. There seems to be a ton of properties going for a million plus, and many of them in areas that used to be considered middle/working class.

Construction of the Oak Terrace Preserve neighborhood in the north area is slated to begin later this month near Park Circle. This is part of a redevelopment of the area which has long been dilapidated. It will include 303 single-family homes and 74 townhouses. First, demolition of current utilities such as curbs, sidewalks, and drainage has to be done. Then, the subdivision will be built in 3 phases with the first phase having 116 single-family homes and 32 townhomes. An excellent new beginning for this area. The article link is below:

I know this is another "north" project, but it is very good news for an area that has sorely needed rebuilding.

Oak Terrace work may begin this month

OK, I think somebody needs to make a list of all of the housing developments planned for the Charleston area, because I'm starting to get them all mixed up. :)

Your wish has been granted courtesy of the P&C

Map of most of the housing developments planned/under construction for the Charleston metro:

http://newsfiles.charleston.net/crossroads/growthdouble.pdf (3MB)

The article link below is from the City Paper about Albemarle, a section of West Ashley that basically overlooks DT. Over the past few years, hotels, restaurants, office buildings, and now more and more high-end condo developments are being built there. Beazer Homes, in a neighborhood planning meeting, just recently presented its plans to transform the former Folly Road Criterion concrete products site at the corner of Folly and Albemarle roads into a $30-$40 million condo development.

The project will feature stacked townhomes with two-story units on top of two-story units, as well as a mid-sized condo building with parking beneath. This is really good news for that area which is really the western gateway into DT. I'm really hoping that with this development and completion of the Ripley Cove condo development just down the street, the area will be considered a "gathering place" with some additional stores and restaurants. This would be a fantastic location for a Carrabbas, Macaroni Grill, or even some higher end places like Cheesecake Factory or Ruth's Chris!

There is the possibility of new developments like that happening if Hay Tire and some other old warehouses around that area get sold. Upon completion of the US 17 Ramp Connector to the SC 61 Connector, the area will be far more accessible than it is now and these ideas can be carried on. It will be interesting to see what this area looks like in 5 years.

Jumping the Ashley, 'condofication' comes to West Ashley

Excellent news! A 183-room, 8-story hotel planned to be built on the old county library site has received initial approval from the Board of Architectural Review. The site is next to the Old Citadel which has been converted to an Embassy Suites. According to one board member, the planned $50 million hotel will be able to do something the Old Citadel cannot do: infuse pedestrians and activity into the square. This is because currently, the Old Citadel has only 2 exits into the street.

The 104-foot new hotel will infuse activity into upper King Street, and it won't be just tourists. The planners hope to build a hotel that will also be used by residents to celebrate weddings, anniversaries, birthdays or other special events. Actually, I think this is a GREAT idea, especially since St. Matthew's Lutheran Church is located just across the street. It is a very popular church to get married in for Charlestonians.

Check out the board member who was the sole voter against demolishing the old library! :lol: He actually said that it is too early in time to judge the building. Some of these people on the board and in the other Charleston historic groups present at the meeting, who all opposed the new hotel, are truly insane.

Plans for eight-story hotel cross BAR's initial hurdle

Thats awsome. The old library is truely an eyesore. Once that and the Upper King rennovations are done, that will be a very attractive area. It will also create a better connection to John St and the transit center and tourist office over there- allowing for alternate routes than Meeting St.

Thats the second highrise planned for the Marion Square area now. I don't understand people who aren't willing to accept event he slightest chance. I mean, how much difference will an 8 storey bulding make? These things aren't really even "highrises" to begin with! I think that Charleston can effectively maintain its historic charm while still joining the 21st century. All of its sister cities have done it well (Boston, Philadelphia, etc).

Spartan, it is so refreshing to see somebody that agrees with me on constructing buildings in DT Chas. :D The upper King project along with this hotel is just going to extend the economic surge of King Street that currently is around Charleston Place. I think that is what's so important about completing these projects: connecting the entire area.

Some of these people that are against virtually any "highrise" development are hindrances to the growth and prosperity of the DT area. I agree, it is ridiculous to be against something that is not even really a highrise. Did you see the differences in height of the buildings in the area? The new hotel is going to be, at the most, 105 feet. Francis Marion Hotel is over 160! The Mendel Rivers Federal Building is also taller (and that one could easily be replaced with something like the Francis Marion's height). Marion Square will truly become an urban park once that hotel and the other 8-story building planned at the Millineum Music location get built.

Thats awsome. The old library is truely an eyesore. Once that and the Upper King rennovations are done, that will be a very attractive area. It will also create a better connection to John St and the transit center and tourist office over there- allowing for alternate routes than Meeting St.

Thats the second highrise planned for the Marion Square area now. I don't understand people who aren't willing to accept event he slightest chance. I mean, how much difference will an 8 storey bulding make? These things aren't really even "highrises" to begin with! I think that Charleston can effectively maintain its historic charm while still joining the 21st century. All of its sister cities have done it well (Boston, Philadelphia, etc).

Someday future Americans will regret that we demolished all the mid-twentieth century modernist architecture.

Believe it or not I agree with that statement. However, I think that type of architecture should be strategically preserved. Since it was not a prolific style (meaning not amny naighborhoods are dominated by it) you can preserve some of the better examples of this style while destroying some of the worst. The old library in Charleston is one of the worst examples IMO.

Where exactly?

Charleston Place hotel, the converted Riviera movie theater, Francis Marion hotel, the Old Citadel Embassy Suites...I believe even the DT Visitor Center has convention space. The American Grill Theater is going to be exclusively for conferences and meetings. There are many others, but those are the ones that stand out in mind.

Charleston Place hotel, the converted Riviera movie theater, Francis Marion hotel, the Old Citadel Embassy Suites...I believe even the DT Visitor Center has convention space. The American Grill Theater is going to be exclusively for conferences and meetings. There are many others, but those are the ones that stand out in mind.

Yep. I attended one at the Embassy suites not long ago. A great location :) Charleson Place was designed to be a convention center if I recall correctly.

I knew about the hotels providing convention space; thanks for the others. I'm overdue a trip to Charleston. ;)

Yes, indeed...you need to come on down and visit my hometown again! :D

Here is an article link below detailing a new corporate HQ being built on Daniel Island. Work is under way on Benefitfocus.com Inc.'s $16 million headquarters and corporate campus on Daniel Island. The company broke ground on their 145,000-square-foot project this past Wednesday. Daniel Island Executive Center LLC also is considering building a speculative 80,000-square-foot office next door. The entire office development is approximately 10 acres.

BenefitFocus is building new corporate HQ

Archived