Greater Charleston Projects & Developments

Spartan

Here's an article from Saturday's P & C detailing yet another residential development in Charleston. The city's planning commission reversed a decision initially rejecting a plan for a nearly 200-home subdivision at Brownswood and River roads on Johns Island. Last Friday, they gave preliminary approval for it. The lawyers for both the city and the developer told the commissioners that their prior rejection of the plan was improper. The Swygert's Landing subdivision had been voted down by the planners last month even though the city staff supported plan. This week a lawyer for the developer told them to reconsider, saying the law requires approval when a plan meets all the qualifications.

Swygert's Landing will be a neo-traditional neighborhood development on 201 acres zoned for conservation, with a variety of housing styles, interior roads, about 50 acres of open space and walking trails, and some mixed-use buildings. While conservation zoning would allow 134 homes, the "neighborhood district" plan supported by the planning staff calls for nearly 200.

I'm a little concerned that planners can just reject a plan even if it meets all of the exact specifications the law provides according to its zoned area. It seems to me that the planners might have to much power. I guess the lawyers could have sued, but it would have been ridiculous to go through all of that legislative work.

Planners approve Johns Island development

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the article link below, the city of Charleston approved acquiring properties through purchases and rezoning a Market Street property to allow plans for a possible 50-room hotel. The properties allow for potential upgrades to several recreation areas...one is at Maybank Tennis Center on James Island and the other is for an unimproved parking lot near the foot of the East Bay Street on-ramp to the new Cooper River bridge. The parking lot purchased at Cooper and East Bay streets is at the corner of an area the city plans to redevelop, where the footprint of the Grace and Pearman bridges are currently being demolished. For now, the parking lot will serve people who use the pedestrian and bike lane on the new bridge.

It might not stay a parking lot in the long run, but until some other redevelopment plan is devised, the lot will become the first designated parking lot for path users in downtown Charleston. Some have proposed building bathrooms and water fountains at the lot, which is an excellent idea, IMO.

Charleston plans for new hotel and parking lot for bridge walkers

^ :lol: Good one! I'm guessing it might be a locally owned hotel, basically similar to the one across the street, the Market Pavilion Hotel. As far as a major name brand, I've heard rumors that a possible Ritz-Carlton could be built at the old Mendel Rivers Federal building on Meeting Street. It would be directly across Marion Square from Francis Marion Hotel. However, that may be a few years away...here's hoping!!

• 3 weeks later...

^ :lol: Good one! I'm guessing it might be a locally owned hotel, basically similar to the one across the street, the Market Pavilion Hotel. As far as a major name brand, I've heard rumors that a possible Ritz-Carlton could be built at the old Mendel Rivers Federal building on Meeting Street. It would be directly across Marion Square from Francis Marion Hotel. However, that may be a few years away...here's hoping!!

I would like to see something done with that building. A Ritz-Carlton would be nice. :P

^ Yep, I've got the article link located below. Shem Creek is going to get a second hotel under a redevelopment plan submitted for the site of the recently closed Big Game Billfish Bar & Grill and two other properties, one being a small shopping center and the other an automotive body repair shop. If the project is approved, all 3 properties will be demolished.

This is good news for Shem Creek, considering that there is only one other hotel there. This will put more foot traffic in the area, and it will keep the restaurant competition on a level playing field. One complaint about Shem Creek was that a few restaurants there were always changing owners, names, and menus! This hotel will keep the problem from continuing at a quick pace, or it could fix it altogether and allow the current establishments to remain for a much longer period of time.

Hotel planned for Shem Creek

Here's a link about a new community center that will be built on the Cainhoy peninsula on the site where the old one used to stand. The old center used to be a schoolhouse for a largely rural and isolated area. Developer D.R. Horton and community officials have devised a plan for the center's site which is located next to the developer's large neighborhood, The Peninsula. The Peninsula is in Berkeley County, within the Charleston city limits, and the school property is in the process of being annexed into Charleston.

And here is a great quote from the article about Cainhoy and Clements Ferry Road:

Today, thanks to the Mark Clark Expressway, Clements Ferry Road is a hotbed of development.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=65988

^ I'm not sure what town you're talking about, but Cainhoy is not a town. It is becoming the next hot area to live in, and most of this area has been annexed by the city of Charleston. It is a huge peninsula that lies north of Daniel Island, and just about the entirety of it is in the city limits. The area is served by Clements Ferry Road as the major artery which goes up to SC Hwy 41 eventually into a little community called Wando. Now the town of Huger is further up SC 41, so maybe that's what you're referring to. The only tree that is really significant in the Chas area is the Angel Oak on Johns Island, and this is also in the city limits. :D

<_< Hmmm...lately, it seems like I'm the only one who has been active in this thread. Come on Charlestonians (past and present), let's get more active!

Anyway, I came across an article in the P & C about the new DT Marion Square development where Millineum Music is located. The investment group who is seeking to change the low-rise Marion Square retail complex into eight stories of commercial space and upscale residences has committed itself officially. King & Calhoun LLC paid $12 million to buy the prominent corner property.

The group is proposing to redevelop the site by building as many as 52 condominiums over two floors of retail shops and offices. Its plans also include an attached parking garage that could hold about 200 vehicles but would mostly be hidden from public view. The 1.3-acre project will require the demolition of the current shopping center at the corner of King and Calhoun streets, probably starting in 2007. The first four stories would be flush with the sidewalks, while the upper floors would be recessed.

Straight across the Marion Square Park, it is official: Bennett-Hofford Co. wants to build a $50 million, eight-story Hilton Hotel at the northwest corner of the park, on the site of the old county library. So it will be a Hilton...excellent!

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=66447

<_< Hmmm...lately, it seems like I'm the only one who has been active in this thread. Come on Charlestonians (past and present), let's get more active!

Anyway, I came across an article in the P & C about the new DT Marion Square development where Millineum Music is located. The investment group who is seeking to change the low-rise Marion Square retail complex into eight stories of commercial space and upscale residences has committed itself officially. King & Calhoun LLC paid $12 million to buy the prominent corner property.

The group is proposing to redevelop the site by building as many as 52 condominiums over two floors of retail shops and offices. Its plans also include an attached parking garage that could hold about 200 vehicles but would mostly be hidden from public view. The 1.3-acre project will require the demolition of the current shopping center at the corner of King and Calhoun streets, probably starting in 2007. The first four stories would be flush with the sidewalks, while the upper floors would be recessed.

Straight across the Marion Square Park, it is official: Bennett-Hofford Co. wants to build a $50 million, eight-story Hilton Hotel at the northwest corner of the park, on the site of the old county library. So it will be a Hilton...excellent!

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=66447

Company proposes inland port for South Carolina

The company's initial plans involve the State Ports Authority's Wando Welch Terminal in Mount Pleasant which has no rail service.

The company plans to put shipping containers delivered to the terminal on barges and move them to Shipyard Creek. The containers would be loaded on trains and transported to one of the inland distribution sites.

The company envisions inland distribution sites near Orangeburg and along the Interstate 85 corridor in the Upstate.

Lets see, more jobs :thumbsup: and more efficiency for one of the most efficient terminals in the US :thumbsup: I like this project. Shipyard creek is right across the river from the Wando Welch Terminal and it has rail access already in place.

^ All good things coming from that project, Mike. Making the port more efficient is going to do only one thing: bring in more traffic and tonnage which will bring more money to the Chas economy.

Tablrock, you are correct with what you read...I probably read the same thing, and I think the article was posted in this thread. I don't know if it will be a mini-Charleston Place, but there will be street level retail. The biggest thing for the Hilton that will be similar to the Place is convention and meeting space. They want the hotel to be a signature place for weddings, conventions, business meetings, and the like for locals, not just out-of-towners. They want the hotel to be integrated with the community, and I think that is a huge incentive to let the hotel be built as they want it.

^ This could tie Orangeburg more to the Chas area than Cola. I'm sure if it happened, it would be years from now, but the possibility of Orangeburg becoming more of a Lowcountry county would get stronger considering infrastructure such as rail freight would give the area direct access to Chas. Economic cooperation between both areas give them stronger ties, as well.

Its good to know that these two projects are now official! Marion Square will certainly be a different place in a few years. Are the projects actually approved, or are they just announcing that they are starting the process?

From what I've read, the Board of Architectural Review has given initial approval for both projects. As designs become available, there are usually 2 more board meetings to review most DT projects, including these. The first approval is in a general sense of the building plan, the second and third one are more specific with detailed drawings and building specs. From what has happened so far, the BAR will have no problem approving the designs as long as the buildings "fit" with the other architecture around the park.

Archived