THE GULCH

linclink

Hi Guys!!!

I just went to check on how the Gulch is coming along and the website gives the impression that it has been completed... is this so? How does it look?!? It'd be really great if someone could post some pictures... it might be cool to go there in July...

Thanks alot!!!

Paula

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, Paula, the Gulch is far from completed. I wouldn't rely much on their website. It was updated somewhere around the Gulf War, I think.

Things are moving along, some things you see, some things you don't. Huge investments have been made to improve the infrastructure which was just full of surprises...especially underground regarding antique water lines and industrial considerations. These brown field projects can get tricky.

What to expect? The new residential building by Bristol should begin soon. I think they've settle on 250 units give or take. A couple of office buildings have been talked about. The $100 shopping component should be underway by summer. There are new restaurants in the works. One of the most important considerations is the viaduct Demondreun Street Bridge. Major consideration had to be given this structure when defining the overall scope and positioning of the projects. Happy to report the designs are in and being fine-tuned, demolition of the existing bridge is scheduled in the next few weeks, and construction of the replacement bridge will commence in the fall.

Like I said, reclaiming urban brown field can be complicated, so be patient with it, and the Gulch project will grow. It'll be an exciting transformation. 11 new adjoining acres were just purchased for future mixed use development. Some will see what appears on the surface to be little change...but, it's only a illusion. The bubbling will soon hit boil.

• 2 weeks later...

Nashville is extremely slow. I never count on anything until its completed! For instance, if Nashville had all the towers that were ever proposed, we would look like Atlanta. Viridian broke ground 6 months ago, and at the rear of the lot, some caissons are not even out of the ground yet.

Ah, the impatience of youth.

I was on-site this morning. It's very much out of the ground. And growing.

Get off the computer, the weather's good. I did a five-mile walk downtown this morning...there's a lot of things brewing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well said dave. just walking around downtown will give you a sense of the growth that is taking place in nashville. it's pretty exciting.

I walk downtown everyday! How come towers in Atlanta rise so quickly? A 53 story tower has been built in just about a year! The Viridian is coming out of the ground, but why six months and no floors yet? Is money the problem? Case in point. The BOA building in Atlanta is 60 stories and 1013 feet. It was designed and finished in 14 months! Viridian as I have been told by some notable sources may not be open until 2007! It started as an 18 month project, then went to a 22 month project, now a 28-36 month project. Whats wrong?

I walk downtown everyday! How come towers in Atlanta rise so quickly? A 53 story tower has been built in just about a year! The Viridian is coming out of the ground, but why six months and no floors yet? Is money the problem? Case in point. The BOA building in Atlanta is 60 stories and 1013 feet. It was designed and finished in 14 months! Viridian as I have been told by some notable sources may not be open until 2007! It started as an 18 month project, then went to a 22 month project, now a 28-36 month project. Whats wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We do things more slowly here...we don't have to be like Atlanta and act like a bunch of Yankees forcing a bunch of skyscrapers up as fast as possible. -_-

Some points to make, because I'm nit-picky :)

53 story tower in Atlanta? Which one? Are you referring to the 42 story Symphony Tower? It's only up to the 29th floor right now.

BofA? It's only 55 floors -- 1,023 feet. Why was it completed so fast? Well, 25% of the building's height is a spire :lol:

Believe me, it's 60 floors I know someone who works in it.  The 53 story building is the one that has wings on top of it. I asked a realestate person in Atlanta and the building I am referring to is going to be 53.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nope, it's 55.

The usual developer mode is thus:

1. Make a big announcement in the local media to gain free PR

2. Present architectural plans

3. Hire a PR/realty firm to sign up lessees

4. Take the lessees to the bank to get financing

5. Make a big announcement in the local media that financing is secured

6. Dicker with local govts. over permits

7. Make another announcement concerning architectural plans to placate local govts.

8. Begin work

• 1 month later...

New fences are going up around the Demonbreun Street Bridge. Looks like we are finally getting close to demo time. Things are inching along elsewhere in the Gulch. Sambuca (see article), which is supposedly opening this spring where 6 degrees was, is finally about to get a sidewalk. Does anyone know if this restaurant is still in the works? Also wondering whatever happened to plans for an Iron Cactus in the Gulch. I would appreciate any info.

City Paper Article

BofA? It's only 55 floors -- 1,023 feet. Why was it completed so fast? Well, 25% of the building's height is a spire :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, yes, the famous "cheat sticks" of forum yore. lol

Its very true that the Gulch looks like its going no where from the surface. I usually past through there at least once a day and it seems to me they have been working on those side walks forever! The only thing I really notice is a street sign and a park bench sitting in the middle of nothing. I know its coming along I think I'm just anxious to see some structures rising above the surface. I think it will be a fun place to live once completed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey gang,

Just wondering what's the latest on The Gulch. I'm an out-of-towner, but we visit once a year at least and I've been tracking that project for a while. I think it'd be a really neat place to live. Just wondered if anyone has pics or just a drive-by update. Thanks!

Yeah, I noticed today that they are starting to move construction equipment on to one of the empty lots. The area looks really strange right about now. It has nicely paved tree lined streets, with bench seats and neat looking sidewalks and not much else. It will be great to see the construction get started on the buildings.

Archived