Van Andel Arena expansion?

wyoming_mi

But we can't even fill an arena with our Minor league hockey team.

A 'major' would probably draw at least 25% more people per game. Like I said earlier, I have never bothered to go see a Griffins or Rampage game - because I see no real point. The only minor league event I have been to in town are a few baseball games, only because it is a relatively cheap way to blow an afternoon.

Look at concert attendance, VA leads the nation (and has since its construction) in sales for a venue of its size. A few years back it actually finished the year in the top fifteen overall for attendance - for arenas of all sizes. Proof that national acts and tours can draw the necessary people. I would consider a 'major' team to have this same type of draw - depeding on how well they are doing. Even during a bad year, the demand would easily be there.

Not to mention it was technically built for sports, and for the potential to be home to a sports team. For an arena its size, it still tops (or is near the top) the list in luxury seats and boxes. This is generally a large qualifier for pro sports as it is a huge profit generator - typically they are the only seat profits that soley go to the home team. The VA has more than some of even the newer NHL and NBA arenas. Once cited as a reason for Orlando to upgrade, lest their team be moved to the 'ready to go and updated' VA.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived