Australian Ghettos

tomahawkn

I'm always happy to see pictures of Australian cities, they are all beautiful in their own rights and I would love to visit someday. One thing I never see, though, are pics of the bad areas of these cities. I'm interested if anyone has some pictures of Australian ghettos or poor areas. The not so pretty sections of town where all the crime takes place. If you have some, please post away. I want to see some Oz grit and urban decay for once! :)

• 3 months later...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

the thing is you dont need to look for these slums in australia - they are in your own back yard if your in the good old US of A - see our slums are designed on those from the US in the 60's and 70's (i cant remember what it was called but it was based on a social experiment that has gone horribly wrong in this country) - they are a little hard to find over here if you dont live in the city as they are mainly on what was the outskirts of citys back then - no reason to go there if you dont live there.

If you want to see some REAL aussie slums i would suggest Redfern in Sydney and Footscray in Melbourne. We made these ones ourselves and are in inner city areas. I wil post some pics of typical government housing when i have a new dig camera!!

as for the greater crime rate in aust i was a little surprised - would love to see the figures!

I saw some pretty squalid precincts in Sydney. And some pretty depressing neighborhoods in Melbourne.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the thing is you dont need to look for these slums in australia - they are in your own back yard if your in the good old US of A - see our slums are designed on those from the US in the 60's and 70's (i cant remember what it was called but it was based on a social experiment that has gone horribly wrong in this country) - they are a little hard to find over here if you dont live in the city as they are mainly on what was the outskirts of citys back then - no reason to go there if you dont live there.

If you want to see some REAL aussie slums i would suggest Redfern in Sydney and Footscray in Melbourne.  We made these ones ourselves and are in inner city areas.  I wil post some pics of typical government housing when i have a new dig camera!!

as for the greater crime rate in aust i was a little surprised - would love to see the figures!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I certainly don't recall denying the presence of slums in America. And it was probably Redfern that I stumbled into. Plus, there was a dreary precinct on the way from Melbourne CBD to the zoo. Perhaps that was Footscray ?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Indeed Australia does have a worse crime rate than the US - see http://ruljis.leidenuniv.nl/group/jfcr/www.../data/i_VIC.HTM for example.

In fact in absolute terms (ie not relative to average income) poverty is slightly worse in Australia than in the US - the homeless rate is higher too.

In Australia (compared to US) poverty is spread throughout the suburbs, SW Sydney and northern Adelaide being among the worst.

(btw I think the poor suburb between Melbourne city and the Zoo is Macaulay - Footscray is slightly further from the city)

• 3 weeks later...

You could also attribute the relatively level classes and lack of slums in oz to the relatively integrated society....asians, greeks, mideasterns, etc generally don't have a huge geographical concentration in the major cities and certainly not in the country towns...at least not that I saw. Lots of race riots in the news recently though.

• 5 weeks later...

Australia doesn't have level classes.... inequality here is almost as high as in the US - 2.0% of income accruing to the poorest 10% in Australia vs 1.8% in the US (according to CIA world factbook).

(This is much more unequal than most European countries).

And with the lower average income here, this means that the poor in absolute terms are significantly worse off here.

As for pictures.... houses and flats like this are fairly typical of many of Australia's outer suburbs (these pictures are from southwest Sydney) (sorry - these are real estate images so they will disappear once someone buys the houses)

NSW3211188_1.jpg

138091-x1735scnix_103_mcburney_rd__cabramatta_ho.jpg

x2606stdcp_0086.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its true that Australia does have social gaps - the standards of housing in the "not so nice areas" compared with the rest of large cities, (I'm thinking of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth here) are really much lower. Near where I live there's lots of 1970's and 1980's houses, all rather unimaginaitive, in a low-income area. I drove through the area one Sunday afternoon in summer. Nobody was outside, it felt like a ghost town.

The only place I've seen in Australia that can actually classify as somewhat ghetto is Redfern in Sydney, though even there it did not appear to be anywhere as bad as places in U.S. or Latin American cities. It's a working class aborigional neighbourhood that was tainted by riots years back. What actually impressed me in Australia was the fact that most people were middle class, I didn't see the huge socio-economic gap that I've seen in many other countries. Even the wealthy didn't seem to show it off as much (except in Gold Coast).

The only place I've seen in Australia that can actually classify as somewhat ghetto is Redfern in Sydney, though even there it did not appear to be anywhere as bad as places in U.S. or Latin American cities. It's a working class aborigional neighbourhood that was tainted by riots years back. What actually impressed me in Australia was the fact that most people were middle class, I didn't see the huge socio-economic gap that I've seen in many other countries. Even the wealthy didn't seem to show it off as much (except in Gold Coast).

Thankfully Redfern isin't really a ghetto - there's only one block that's a no-go area. That's mostly because it is a violent spot. Otherwise the suburb is being renovated on a colossal scale, with the frightful multi-storey public housing at last set to go. It's upsetting lots of people, mostly in the Aborginal community, because a lot of the residents ther are socially dislocated and Redfern is their only home. Sydney being Sydney it's also extremely difficult to afford housing here.

Have a look at the Redfern-Waterloo Authority http://www.redfernwaterloo.nsw.gov.au/

Thankfully the state government has removed control over the area (for large projects) from the City of Sydney and is administering the re-development sdirectly.

• 1 month later...

Visitors from US tend percieve us to have no poor areas because our poor areas are on the outskirts of our cities where visitors never. Indeed there is literally only one block of inner city ghetto in Australia, ie "the block" in Redfern, protected from development by the government.

I also think some people (including most Australians) confuse class with race, so that the racial homegeneity of Australia makes it appear middle class (in fact the average Australian income is lower than the average black income in America).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

australia dose have ghettos but its not really the same

its not like you rep your block and everyone on your block is a og or some crap

but there are ghettos its just for some reason people have always denied them

because the public is feed that australia is a good place every where, where as the u.s news and media jumps right on that and complanes about it the main reason i think is because australians arnt big sooks

when i got robbed on a train i didnt care to much i just thort "oh bad day" or "bad train" not oh dear its a ghetto like the yanks and iv been robbed on the train 3 times now by different people (i think lol)

but there are ghetto in most of australias main citys

but for bad one's the worst one's would be

adelade alot of drugs and white gangs not so much ethnics

melborue well probly the best of the one's listed but for some reason is know better for crimes, lots of asian and lebonese gang wars and mafia

brisbane is probly the worst for ethnic gangs and such, higher death rate's and stuff like that also drugs is on the up and for some reason there are people there are black people who clam there bloods and crips and i think there are more and more coming

darwin iv never been there for to long but im sure its pretty bad

but who the fudge comes to australia to look at that crap lol

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived