I was just wondering...

ResidentJaxAss

How many of Jacksonville's proposed projects are actually going to be built? Projects like the Westin and the old JEA headquarters highrise were announced a long time ago but I haven't heard anything since.

Could someone in the know fill me in on the most likely projects to be built?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of Jacksonville's proposed projects are actually going to be built? Projects like the Westin and the old JEA headquarters highrise were announced a long time ago but I haven't heard anything since.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The projects aren't dead. I can tell you that much.

The only project that has been proposed and not come to friution in recent years is the 675 foot mix used tower on the north bank near the Berkman Plaza.

Speaking of Berkman. It was supposed to be two buildings and the second was never built but looks like they are going to build the second one anyway.

Here, this is mostly up to date. Might be a month behind.

http://www.downtownjacksonville.org/content/?page_id=38

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Old JEA headquarters is/was tied up in court. Another factor may be the delay of the courthouse complex. Many of the projects, that will cater to the courthouse, like 323 Duval & Old JEA, won't start construction until the courthouse fiasco is settled.

I have a feeling Westin, will be the hotel built at San Marco Riverwalk this summer. If that's the case, look for the original site to end up as condos. However, I can't verify it, so don't hold me too it.

However, the only dead proposals I'm aware of, is the LaVilla Townhomes (city denied them) and the 675ft tower replacing the existing courthouse complex. Once the courthouse situation is clear and settled, we'll here more about these related projects that are currently on the backburner.

biz_courtDrawings3.jpg

The 44 story tower was proposed by Steinemann & Co, a company based out of Atlanta. Components would have included a hotel, office space, a nine-level complex of retail shops, a multiplex theater and a parking garage. It was sumbitted after the city sent out an RFP to replace the current courthouse, once the new courthouse opens.

Who knows when the new courthouse will completed, but the city as already said it will issue a new RFP, when the time comes, so that all, but confirms that this is a dead project.

After seeing that rendering of the tower, I am upset... that SHOULD have been built. It would have been a "statement building" that would have put Jacksonville even more on the map. I believe they have a building about to go up in Buckhead (Atlanta) that is going to look very similar to that proposal. On a somewhat related note... I am very much looking forward to seeing the new Riverpointe design...

^Who knows? The new owners of the old Humana Building own the lot and they've talked about either selling it to Westin or condo developers out of South Florida. They also mentioned that a parking garage built there would accomodate the parking needs for them, the new tower and the Landing. My gut feeling is that Westin breaks ground at the San Marco Riverwalk this summer. I'm assuming the un-announced hotel is Westin because they've been looking for a while and its exactly the same size as their earlier proposal across from the Landing.

After seeing that rendering of the tower, I am upset...  that SHOULD have been built.  It would have been a "statement building" that would have put Jacksonville even more on the map.  I believe they have a building about to go up in Buckhead (Atlanta) that is going to look very similar to that proposal.  On a somewhat related note...  I am very much looking forward to seeing the new Riverpointe design...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree derrick. That is what Jacksonville architecture needs... a strong visual presence. Not the same "run of the mill", dime a dozen architecture.

I too anxiously awiat the new Riverpointe design. I was never really fond of the KBJ design. But that's just me.

I thought that the old Riverpointe design was nice, but only if both towers went up. I think one tower by iteself wouldn't have had the same stunning impact. The thing about the defunct mixed-use tower project that I didn't like was the location... if you put that tower where Riverpointe is planned for... lookout!

I'm really just anxious to see my old hometown in about 2010 or so... it's truly incredible what's going on there now, and seeing the floorplans of The Peninsula make me want to move back home... I love Atlanta, but Jax is home.

Archived