Albany, Georgia

thehappysmith

I had these old pictures of Albany I thought I'd drop in. It's really not much of a city, regardless of population figures. Albany had 77,000 people in 2000. The metro area after 2003 consists of Dougherty, Lee, Worth, Terrell, and Baker counties; in 2003 the MSA had 161,000 people. Lee is the fastest growing of these counties by a wide margin but the only town there is of no consequence at all.

Anyway, here's Albany. I took these in the late autumn of 2001.

The large building on the left of shot here is the new county administration building, which is far and away the most massive structure in town.

Albany1.jpg

I believe the background building here is the old downtown hotel, but it was largely vacant when I was there.

Albany2.jpg

On the right here is the school board building. The Albany Herald, on the far left, was the only major employer in downtown other than the government. That's never a good sign.

Albany3.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic! My experisnce wiht Albany is that it has a nice enough downtown, its just not very large. The and semblence of density kinda stops around Slappy as far as I could tell. I will say that I have never fully explored that town.

I seem to recall that they had another office buiding there, but maybe I am thinking of the new admin building. They like to show off that fountain out in front of it on the news.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

great pics.. looks kinda desolate lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^whoa!

Thanks for the tour... I remember Albany from the times when my father used to commute from Tallahassee everyday to work at the Toyota store there. We once flew out of the airport. Our local channels used to cover Albany in the news, but I think Albany is doing its own thing now.

Nice photo tour, I'd like to see more shots of Albany and its commercial centers if anyone in the area has a few.

Thanks again.

More pics of Albany in 2005 (8-28-05)

Its a small town (obviously) where the local economy has had to come back from plant closings which can devastate a metro economy of this size. Its also suffering from major white-flight but they are working hard to revitalize the downtown area and seeing some signs of life. I have a feeling this little town will one day succeed.

I doubt its ever bustling but this was a Sunday morning so there were a few people in the park but the rest of the downtown area was deserted.

The Hilton which is the first new downtown hotel in a looooong time. Its opening was BIG local news.

AlbanyHilton.jpg

I believe about 3 other new buildings have been built since the time of thehappysmith's photos

Albanybldg3.jpg

the Flint Riverquarium

Riverquarium.jpg

Riverfront Park

Riverparklawn.jpg

Riverpark.jpg

Riverparkbldg.jpg

The same street where thehappysmith took his pic

Albanystreetscape.jpg

Albany looks so nice in those photos. A little empty though (much as you said), but nice.

I'll have to go down there sometime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't want you to get the wrong idea ....they still have a ways to go yet but in a small town like this, to me even the blight looks cute. I meant to get some pics of some old rundown buildings. But like a lot of places, most of the new development is happening out near the mall and in the growing Lee county to the north.

I don't want you to get the wrong idea ....they still have a ways to go yet but in a small town like this, to me even the blight looks cute.    I meant to get some pics of  some old rundown buildings.  But like a lot of places, most of the new development is happening out near the mall and in the growing Lee county to the north.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you also did say that your pictures were taken on Sunday. A Sunday morning in a business center is bound to be desserted.....everyone is at church. This is afterall the Bible Belt. :P During the week you would probably see more people although I doubt it would be considered "bustling." :D

I don't want you to get the wrong idea ....they still have a ways to go yet but in a small town like this, to me even the blight looks cute.    I meant to get some pics of  some old rundown buildings.  But like a lot of places, most of the new development is happening out near the mall and in the growing Lee county to the north.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I know it's not totally desolate. I've always been quite interested in urban decay and blight myself. It so interesting for me to try to figure out wjhat a building might have looked like when it was occupied.

Its too bad that the government there is corrupt. Last time I was in the area I heard ont the news that a city official was arrested for some kind of drug cover-up, or balckmail. Something like that. I have heard locals tell me that Lee County is the place to be because you get the access to Albany, without having to deal with the city's government.

Archived