Charleston LRT

Spartan

Some developers want to put in a light rail sytem in Charleston. They want the line to stretch to Monk's Corner and Summerville "with connecting lines along Dorchester Road and Montague Avenue in North Charleston."

They also note:

• "The idea of having some form of light rail service between downtown Charleston and Charleston International Airport has been on the drawing boards of the area's planners for ages"

• "The huge Magnolia project, aimed at redeveloping a large section of northern Charleston near Rosemont, is focusing new attention on the concept."

• "Charleston already has taken small steps toward light rail by attempting to acquire a section of downtown freight line and right of way between King and Meetings streets"

This is encouraging because the company that prepared the presentation is behind Charlotte Trolley, which a fairly successful system as far as I know. Charlotte's trolley is also a part of a greater LRT plan for the city.

I would love to see an LRT system in Charleston. I think if there were a strong enough push for it that the funding could be found.

This info came from the Post and Courier: Charleston LRT

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a a new story about LRT in my hometown. This is good news that they are starting work on this again. Smart planning to start with the airport/convention center. That would be a real asset...once LRT infrastructure is in place there, they could proceed towards the Neck and downtown.

Once completed, the monorail would really enhance Charleston's image for business conventions. People could stay and play in historic downtown hotels then just ride the monorail to the convention center!

Derailed transit project could get back on track

Futrex wants to try again on urban transportation system

BY DAVID SLADE

Of The Post and Courier Staff

Futrex Inc. came to the Charleston area 10 years ago with plans to build the world a better monorail. The prospect of a high-speed, low-cost urban transit system that could operate above congested roads attracted millions in federal seed money and a $1.25 million loan from Charleston.

Private investors were not as forthcoming, however, despite local enthusiasm for Futrex and its production of a working quarter-scale model that was demonstrated for Vice President Al Gore in 1998.

Futrex called its project System 21, but when the 21st century arrived, the company had all but faded from view. "Not a lot has happened in the past two or three years," said Howard Chapman, director of the Charleston Area Regional Transportation Authority, Futrex's local government sponsor.

A $35 million prototype Futrex had proposed building between Charleston International Airport and the North Charleston Convention Center never was started. Instead of employing 1,000 or more people at the former Navy Base, as local officials had hoped, Futrex employs two.

Most of the $6.2 million appropriated for the project by Congress from 1998 through 2000 remains unspent, and because of accumulating interest, Futrex owes Charleston $1.7 million.

ANOTHER CHANCE

Now, Futrex and CARTA are asking the federal government to give the company another chance. Together, they submitted a new plan to the Federal Transit Administration in December, seeking to use the unspent federal money to develop a less ambitious prototype that could prove the system works.

Post and Courier article

Here's an article about the project from Charleston Business Journal. This sheds some more light into what is planned for LRT and the Magnolia project in the Neck area. I had to paste the whole article because a subscription is required for the journal. Enjoy!

Neck area light rail could spark economic development

By DENNIS QUICK

Senior Staff Writer

Light rail service helped revitalize parts of Charlotte, and it can do the same in Charleston.

That

I agree. The plan seems to have come back to life recently. I know that as a visitor, I would gladly park my car in Summerville and take a train into town rather than search for an hour for a parking spot that has a 2 hour meter.

I agree. The plan seems to have come back to life recently. I know that as a visitor, I would gladly park my car in Summerville and take a train into town rather than search for an hour for a parking spot that has a 2 hour meter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can I get an "AMEN!" to that!! :lol: That is so true...when I moved back there a few years ago, I used to joke with my co-workers that the entire DT needed to be a 5-story elevated parking garage! :lol: Parking there is atrocious, and it would be great to park my car at Citadel Mall and ride the monorail to DT, then maybe take a trip to the coliseum.

You know, completion of those links in the LRT would connect Charleston like never before, and may serve as a catalyst to consolidate Chas. and N. Chas. I know it's a big wish, but you never know what can happen! ;)

Archived