Columbia urban neighborhoods

waccamatt

I am almost finished taking pictures of Columbia's in-town neighborhoods. Because of the large number of pics I will link each neighborhood, instead of posting the pictures, for those fo you that still have dial up internet access. I haven't taken pictures of all of the in-town neighborhoods yet, but this gives suburbanites a good idea of what they are missing out on.

I hope you like:

Downtown, USC and 5 Points residential

Shandon residential pictures

Melrose Heights

Forest Hills

Heathwood

The Residential Congaree Vista

The Vista; Arsenal Hill section

Olympia

Earlewood Park (The Park)

Earlewood Park (The Neighborhood)

Cotton (Bellevue Historic District)

Elmwood Park

Eau Claire

Waverly/Benedict College neighborhood

Hollywood Hills

Wales Garden (No, Tom Jones doesn't live there)

Wheeler Hill

Keenan Terrace/North Earlewood

Arcadia Lakes/Forest Acres/Lake Katherine

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing. The Wilshire House Condos have always been one of my favorites too. Never been inside one though. Columbia has some nice traditional architecture, but unfortunately has it's share of bad '70's architecture (Senate Plaza, Jefferson Square, Capstone, several USC buildings, etc.).

I enjoyed that photo tour. I have a suggestion for you though- you should break that up into two or three pages so there are fewer pictures per page. I have DSL and it took me 5 minutes to get the page to stop loading. It also filled up my virtual memory...

Anyway, I like the Wilshire House too. Wasn't it designed by somebody famous/important? I think the Edisto used to be a school. I looked at an aprtment there once. It was weird. You could tell it was a school. The stairwells were very cavernous. The apartments were nice enough.

Columbia seems to have alot of towers dedicated to the elderly. I counted 4 or 5 in there.

Matt -- thanks for posting those images. Great stuff. Nice job with the captions too. :) Very cool.

I like Shandon a lot -- maybe when I hit the powerball jackpot.... kidding. we do not play.

There are some really neat buildings in Columbia. This has given me an idea for a new thread...

I enjoyed that photo tour. I have a suggestion for you though- you should break that up into two or three pages so there are fewer pictures per page. I have DSL and it took me 5 minutes to get the page to stop loading. It also filled up my virtual memory...

Anyway, I like the Wilshire House too. Wasn't it designed by somebody famous/important? I think the Edisto used to be a school. I looked at an aprtment there once. It was weird. You could tell it was a school. The stairwells were very cavernous. The apartments were nice enough.

Columbia seems to have alot of towers dedicated to the elderly. I counted 4 or 5 in there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why I posted links instead of the pictures. When I load the rest of the pictures tonight I will make the pages even smaller. Sorry 'bout that. :thumbsup:

I couldnt believe some of those photos were actually Columbia! I need to get my head out of Two Notch Road and check out more of the city

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha. Yeah, you def. should. My brother-in-law and his wife lived over there shortly after they got married -- he was stationed at Fort Jackson and that area was all his wife ever knew of Columbia -- and she loathes the city to this day. :)

I couldnt believe some of those photos were actually Columbia! I need to get my head out of Two Notch Road and check out more of the city

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Middlesex County is my home: South River.

The rest of the pictures are uploaded and the links are added to my initial post. Sorry about the different sized pictures, it took a long time to format all of them! :huh:

Very nice post Matt; it's great to see the diversity across the city.

I guess we're neighbors because I live in Keenan Terrace as well. I'm honored because you actually got my house in one of your shots ;). After living there for about 8 months, I think it's a great neighborhood. There is a great mix of homes and people, and I really like the mature trees.

Very nice post Matt; it's great to see the diversity across the city.

I guess we're neighbors because I live in Keenan Terrace as well.  I'm honored because you actually got my house in one of your shots ;).  After living there for about 8 months, I think it's a great neighborhood.  There is a great mix of homes and people, and I really like the mature trees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now isn't that a coincidence. Was your house in a picture by itself or a group shot? I've left some neighborhoods out so I may need to go on another shoot soon. Thanks everyone for the input.

Thank you so much for posting that photo tour. I learned some new things! I have never been to many of those neighborhoods. Who knew there were such beautiful homes in downtown Columbia!

Thank you so much for posting that photo tour.  I learned some new things!  I have never been to many of those neighborhoods.  Who knew there were such beautiful homes in downtown Columbia!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were so many more pictures I wanted to take, but it takes so long to upload all of them to my host. I didn't even go down to Rosewood, much of Eau Claire, much of Waverly, old Shandon or much of Forest Acres.

Waccamatt,

Are you aware of Milltown Road which ends right into Hillside St/Main St(CR 535)/Old Bridge Turnpike (CR 527) area? If so, im at the North Brunswick west end of Milltown Road. Where Main St is in South River by OB Turnpike, they have the cheapest gas in the county by far at 1.66 but now recently, the gas has went really up allover the area :angry:

Waccamatt,

Are you aware of Milltown Road which ends right into Hillside St/Main St(CR 535)/Old Bridge Turnpike (CR 527) area? If so, im at the North Brunswick west end of Milltown Road. Where Main St is in South River by OB Turnpike, they have the cheapest gas in the county by far at 1.66 but now recently, the gas has went really up allover the area :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know exactly where Milltown Road and Old Bridge Turnpike are. I grew up 3 blocks off Old Bridge Turnpike.

While we're posting pictures, I thought I'd repost this one. It's a fixed-up version of one that I posted in a gallery a while back. I made it my wallpaper on my computer. It's not a perfect picture artistically, but I think the city looks cool. And my wife and my car are in it!! :)

Downtown Columbia from the Riverwalk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it! The clouds were perfect that day.

Archived