1. 1. What is the best sports city

• New York
    • Boston
    • Atlanta
    • St louis
    • Pittsburgh
    • Detroit
    • Other

Boston, period. If you don't understand why, then you don't live here.

Never in my life have I seen trashier fans than Philadelphia. The sorest losers in all sports, and some of the most classless.

Tampa Bay sports fans rubbed me the wrong way, and Atlanta and Miami are both terrible sports cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Philly classless? Please don't act like Boston is so much better in that category. You guys throw beer bottles at people as much as the next person. Philly fans are the most dedicated and loyal. We lose but our stadiums are always still full. We dont ever lose hope.I dont think Id be able to say the same for Boston.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ You're right, Philly sports fans are loyal and always fill the stands, but I'm sorry, many of the sports fans are classless trash, moreso than any other city I have known. Boston is slightly better in this category, as I only recall twice EVER Boston sports fans getting out of control at an event (one B's game, one Sox game). You should say the same for Boston because we waited 80+ years for our last WS and never once lost hope.

Rbdetsport, I think it was obvious he was referring to the fact that no one has won nearly as many titles as the Celtics, even though the Lakers come close. And btw, Detroit is NOT the best team in the NBA anymore. They aren't even the best team in their conference; Miami and Boston, and maybe Washington are the elite of the East now.

I'm sorry but I can't see how a town can have any affect on the winning percentage of it's teams.  Maybe the winning in Boston lately has gotten to the cities head a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well stinko, let me spell it out for you... when Phillys fans boo their own team, that has an affect on their hopes of winning and the desirability of the franchise to attract big name players.

As far as the Eagles go they just weren't that good of a football team. Perhaps they would have been more successful as cheerleaders or a dance troupe. They like to rub it in to lesser teams and they got a heaping helping of their own medicine.

Well stinko, let me spell it out for you... when Phillys fans boo their own team, that has an affect on their hopes of winning and the desirability of the franchise to attract big name players.

As far as the Eagles go they just weren't that good of a football team. Perhaps they would have been more successful as cheerleaders or a dance troupe. They like to rub it in to lesser teams and they got a heaping helping of their own medicine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, like say T.O. and Jevon Kearse? I think by most people's opinions they were the two biggest free agents out there and they both came here. Several free agents have taken less money just to stay. By calling me names you only show your true mentality.

Heaping helping?

nah, Charlotte is the best sports city. NASCAR mecca, NBA, and NFL. MLB would be nice but having 170k people at a little ol race more then makes up for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlottes a great town . . . but I wouldn't rank it anywhere near the top on either sportsfans or sports success. Possibly when ONLY considering NASCAR and Basketball (both college and pros), and even then its a contender but Tobacco Road, Taladega and Daytona etc. could claim the top spots in those rankings.

Charlotte is gaining some critical mass--larger population, larger corporate presence, some established big game teams finally--but to catch the Bostons, Pittsburghs, Chicagos, Phillys etc. even the Miamis, Atlantas and San Frans, it will take a few good generations of fanatics coming out and supporting the teams and continued success of the teams deep into the playoffs.

Charlotte's loss of the Hornets recently (though I must admit was more due to a dumb owner then the city's total lack of support) reflects badly on the ability of the city to hold franchises--Pittsburgh has come close to losing the Pirates in 1984/85 and the mid 1990s and the Penguins in the late 1990s and mid 1970s but was successful in pulling the city together to pull off miracle saves of both. Big thumbs up to Charlotte for gaining a new NBA franchise.

Other then NBA and NFL from the mid-1990s and a long rooted NASCAR fanbase Charlotte doesn't show the world too much in sports. Let me know if I'm missing something but the grandfather telling the father telling the son about Mazeroski's bottom of the 9th Homerun in 1960 or the wonders of Charlie Hyatt in college hoops in the 1930s, the Negroleagues traditions of Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige in the 30s and 40s, the 7 world titles in 6 years in the 1970s and Lemuiex's 5 goals in one game in 89 . . . a huge reason why someone is a Yankees Fan or Braves Fan or Sawx or 49ers fan is because of the history and tradition and espirt de corps of the franchise. Being that most of us are young on this board we sometimes get the view of the last 10 years and looking forward to the next 5, but fanbases like Redsox nation or the EaglesNest or Steelers Nation run very very deep because of the tradition of the team going back generations.

Charlotte has the potential to be a great sports city in coming decades. In NASCAR and basketball on all levels it is there or approaching that soon. Overall though I don't see it in the top 10--let me know if I am missing something though, always interested in learning more about Charlotte, its one of my favorite cities. ;)

You guys are completely forgetting some cities, especially out West. I voted for Other, because I think one of the best sports cities is Denver.

Denver, by far, is one of the best sports cities for several reasons. It has all 4 major sports teams: football, basketball, hockey, and baseball. Let's also not forget their soccer team, the Colorado Rapids that have a STRONG following. In just about every sport, the citizens of Denver and Colorado love their teams. The baseball team, the Rockies, are probably the least supported, but even on a bad day, they can take in 35,000 spectators. The lack of support is really because the Rockies have never been great. Once the Rockies get at least the playoffs, you will see people pack Coors Field.

People there are Bronco fanatics, they love the Avalanche (not this year with the NHL lockout), and even the Nuggets have gained support because they're doing better. Don't forget the huge numbers of skiers which gives a strong following in winter sports. Denver should definitely be included as one of the best if not THE best.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're talking per capita the best sports towns, I would have to say Boston or St. Louis. If you're talking best sports towns overall, NYC, Chicago, Philly. Best sports state is definately NC, no doubt about it. The most per capita superstar atheletes have come out of North Carolina than any other state. College sports are the strongest in NC as well. Maybe it's something in the water...

1.Boston 4 Major Sports and them Pats / Socks

2.New York 4 Major Sports + 2

3.Chicago 4 Major Sports + 1

4.Atlanta 4 Major Sport + College FB/BB

5.Miami 4 Major Sports + 8 SuperBowls / College FB and SHAQ!!

6.Philadelphia 4 Major Sports + College BB/ FB

7.St. Louis NFL & MLB College BB (NCAA FINAL FOUR)

8.Detroit 4 Major Sports + Super Bowl XL / College BB/ FB

9.Los Angeles Although lack of NFL (2012) Large NFL fanbase

10. Denver 4 Major Sports + John Elway / 2 Stanley Cups

Now Thats Wassup!!!

1.Boston                4 Major Sports and them Pats / Socks

2.New York            4 Major Sports +  2

3.Chicago              4 Major Sports +  1

4.Atlanta                4 Major Sport  +  College FB/BB

5.Miami                  4 Major Sports  + 8 SuperBowls / College FB and SHAQ!!   

6.Philadelphia          4 Major Sports  +  College BB/ FB

7.St. Louis              NFL & MLB  College BB (NCAA FINAL FOUR)

8.Detroit                  4 Major Sports +  Super Bowl XL / College BB/ FB

9.Los Angeles          Although lack of NFL (2012) Large NFL fanbase

10. Denver              4 Major Sports + John Elway / 2 Stanley Cups

Now Thats Wassup!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Souf:

Your list isn't that well thought out IMHO.

First you seem to have fallen into the same "IT CITIES" trap most quickie surveys do. The only cities not in the sunbelt on that list are on the 95 "power corridor", Chicago which is a global destination and the rustbelt powerhouse Detroit (but alas at #8!). That's 9 out of 10 of those cities reflect the "MTV makes it hip" assumption.

Standing alone that doesn't mean those aren't also the greatest sports towns, just that those are the easiest to remember since our hip obsessed culture keeps basing sitcoms and MTV reality series in those metros because a few studio heads happened to be familiar with them 20 years ago and no one decided to do any real homework and find out about other cities.

The major point I have is other then team count your not really basing your rankings on anything. And team count doesn't mean great fan base, it means a growing or rich TV market and major companies to plop down money for luxury boxes that nobody shows up to half the time! The ordinary fan on the street is what makes a truly GREAT sports town and being that towns that had true love affairs with their teams that ended up leaving (Brooklyn Dodgers, Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts, Quebec Nordiques, Houston Oilers, Charlotte Hornets) team count doesn't stand as the SOLE determinate in fan loyalty of a metroplex.

The Rustbelt towns of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo (Bills and Sabres probably the most loyal two sport town in the world), Cincinnati, Milwaukee have rabid fans. Pittsburgh and Cleveland especially. To omit all of those rust belt towns and to replace them with "sports cities" such as Denver and Los Angeles--outside of hockey and possibly football for Denver and Basketball and some Baseball for LA those cities fans have NOTHING on Cleveland or Pittsburgh or I would even venture to say Cincy and Buffalo fans.

Philly, Boston, DC, Dallas, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, New York, possibly Houston, San Fran, Miami and Atlanta would be a much better list after considering the FANS of the metro area.

I could go on to some other points I've noticed such as Miami not ever winning 8 superbowls (they only won 2 . . . if you are saying Miami is the best in Football because they HOSTED 8 Superbowls then Pittsburgh is better then New York and Boston combined in Baseball . . . The Pittsburgh Pirates have hosted more MLB All Star Games then any other franchise . . . obviously Pittsburgh is a good baseball town but no where near Boston or New York, Miami is a good football town but I could name 10 metros right now that puts their football fans to shame) or St. Louis hosting an NCAA Final Four isn't remotely close to Pittsburgh in basketball fans yet alone a Boston LA or Kentucky, but I'll leave it at that for now. Interested in hearing your opinions on this just looking for a better gauge then some multibillionaire being able to buy a franchise and sell some luxury seats and a TV contract (in other words getting 4 franchises for your metroplex).

Philly classless? Please don't act like Boston is so much better in that category. You guys throw beer bottles at people as much as the next person. Philly fans are the most dedicated and loyal. We lose but our stadiums are always still full. We dont ever lose hope.I dont think Id be able to say the same for Boston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More than you can say for Boston? yes we are so undedicated in Boston, cuz we so totaly gave up on the red sox(note the sarcasm :rofl: ). We suffered for 86 years and still sold out evry night, the phillies average 19K in a 62K stadium, oh yeah the fans in phillie are real dedicated. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

First, a disclaimer. I will not argue that the Twin Cities have the most rabid fans, the best facilities, the winningest teams or the prettiest uniforms.

However, consider that the Minneapolis-St.Paul Metro can support and is home to 7 professional - as in full pay, full season, full facilities - sports teams. The Vikings (NFL), Twins (AL), Wild (NHL), Timberwolves (NBA), Lynx (WNBA), Thunder (USISL), and Swarm (NLL). The MSL is coming in July to discuss the addition of an eighth professional team. Each one of these teams has seen success with the Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves usually among the better teams from year to year. (Losing four Super Bowls puts a dent in the Vikings' reputation :D ) And disclaimer aside it actually may have the most rabid hockey fans not only for it's professional team but for it's multiple championship University of Minnesota teams.

The College and University teams of St. Thomas, Hamline, Augsburg, St. Catherine's, Carlton, St. Olaf, Macalester, Concordia, Gustavus Adolphus and St. John's are very well supported. Many of these teams have attained national prominence in programs like wrestling, rowing, golf, tennis, soccer or softball in addition to the "big four" sports.

Since this is a forum that is primarily about cities and buildings we can look at the issue in these terms. So regarding facilities, perhaps only the Excel Center in St. Paul could be considered nationally among the premiere arenas - in this case for Hockey. The Target Center is very good as a Basketball arena. The Metrodome is approaching obsolescence and, let's admit, is downright UGLY. But it is the only stadium to have hosted all of the following: the NFL Super Bowl (1992), Major League Baseball's All-Star Game (1985), two World Series (1987, 1991), and the Final Four of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship (1992, 2001). Furthermore it is the country's only public stadium that does not rely on a continuing tax subsidy to finance operations, maintenance or debt payments. It was built on time, under budget and was profitable within a few years after it opened.

I mention this because while the Twin Cities like their teams, they have also built smartly and financially conservatively to help ensure the success of those teams. So while one could argue that obsession with a local team or its success makes a place a "great sports town," the flipside is that it's only a game. Granted, a high-profile, income-generating game that can give a city an easy to identify tag. But it might be wise to make sure that the citizens of a city aren't stuck with facilities that they will be paying for long after the "Any-City-Name-Here Any-Animal-Name-Here" team moves on to greener pastures.

Having said that, I can be accused of eating my words because now there are proposals to build three new stadiums in the Twin Cities: An open-air park for the Twins, a new Vikings-only stadium and an on-campus stadium for the University of Minnesota. All three proposals face a rocky road, but the most recent indicators are that they will happen sooner or later. We can only hope that these proposals will be financially solid.

Again, I'm not arguing that the Twin Cities is BEST. It just shouldn't be overlooked. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for Boston.

Chic should have been on there. They're probably in second.

ATL could have a potential Falcons base if things keep going well. We already have a nice base for the Braves...nowhere near Boston or Chicago's, though.

Archived