1. 1. What is the best sports city

• New York
    • Boston
    • Atlanta
    • St louis
    • Pittsburgh
    • Detroit
    • Other

Minnesota is a good sports area . . . heck the state used to promote itself as the sportsmen paradise (or was that Maine too).

Minnesota though has a laid back approach from what I've seen, doesn't mean they are any less passionate about that.

Also GoldenGopher hoops, hockey and gridiron draws them in big too.

As far as the tops though I would have to say Boston and NYC first tier then Pittsburgh, Philly, Chicago maybe DC and Detroit, then Atlanta, LA, Miami, Minnesota, St. Louis, Dallas, Denver etc. etc.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think any city compares to Boston in Sports we have the best basketball team ever one of the best football and baseball teams ever and it has one of the most famous sporting venues ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Best sports city? Kind of blurs two different rankings. City with the best offering of sports (number, variety, commitment of management to winning). And city with the best fans (support of local teams, local events, and sports in general even if it's not local).

On either ranking, many cities compare favorably to Boston. Not many compare favorably on both.

*edit*: I don't think you have to support just your local team to be a great sports city, or to have great fans. Look at cities in the South or Texas that support college sports. There are great fans in Dallas that support Texas and A & M. That lends itself to the sports atmosphere in Dallas. Same could be true in the major cities in the South (Memphis, Atlanta, Birmingham) that have major support for schools that aren't in the metro (like Ole Miss, Alabama, Tennessee). I think many rankings ignore or diminish that.

• 1 month later...

Oh my. This is crazy! You forgot the best sport towns in the america today.

Houston and Dallas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Texas is not a big sport state. They think that they are, but it's just not true. ex. Houston had the Blue Bonnet Bowl go under even with a tie-in to the SouthWest Conference. They just couldn't get anyone to go. University of Houston when they had the Run and Gun couldn't even get 3,000 into the AstroDome even though they had one of the best programs in the country. Houston lost the Oiler's to Nashville. Yes, I know that the owner was jerk. The University of Texas, when I attended there was always quiet. The only time that it got noisey was during the Orange/White Stadium Cheer or when the fans from the appossing team made enough noise to make the stadium loud. I was there when Stanford made more noise than the Texas fans. Arkansas and Texas A&M did it consistantly. Texas fans don't travel. They would go in droves to Dallas for the UT-OU game of the Cotton Bowl, but carried no one to any other Bowl or away game. Dallas, when the Cowboy's have down years, leave the Cowboy's Stadium empty. For a number of years that was the case. Yes, Odessa and Midland may be able to 10 to 12 K into High School games, but that is the big event in those places. SMU doesn't draw, TCU doesn't draw. The only Texas school that has any fans that travel is A&M.

Texas is not a big sport state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may not be a big sport state( which I doubt btw). But it's one of the best.Texas fans outnumbered Michigan in the Rose bowl and sends thousands each year to other venues. Texas and A&M dominate the DFW metro area as well as Houston. We all know about A&M but

The Cowboys and Mavericks have sold out every game so far this millennium. Same with the Spurs who is coming off there 3rd title in 7 years. Texas has won more titles out of the big 4 team sports in the last 15 years. The Oilers moved not because of the city but because of the stupid ownder. Similar to what Charlotte went through with the owners of the Hornets. But Houston loves the Astros and they sell out just about every game as well.

High School football is huge here.Don't discount that. They sometimes pull in 50k for state championship games. Towns and neighborhoods are shut down for a Friday Night just to go see kids play football. It is a religion here. The atmosphere of high school football cannot be matched by any other state in the country. Midland Lee which was out in West Texas took 20,000 fans with them when they won state championships in the late 90s.

In my opinion its a pretty big sport state.

How in the world is Dallas not included in this list? Houston no But Dallas deserves to be up there with the rest of them.Nothing against Atlanta but Chicago, Dallas as well as Denver should be included over Atlanta.

It may not be a big sport state( which I doubt btw). But it's one of the best.Texas fans outnumbered Michigan in the Rose bowl and sends thousands each year to other venues. Texas and A&M dominate the DFW metro area as well as Houston. We all know about A&M but

The Cowboys and Mavericks have sold out every game so far this millennium. Same with the Spurs who is coming off there 3rd title in 7 years. Texas has won more titles out of the big 4 team sports in the last 15 years.  The Oilers moved not because of the city but because of the stupid ownder. Similar to what Charlotte went through with the owners of the Hornets. But Houston loves the Astros and they sell out just about every game as well.

High School football is huge here.Don't discount that. They sometimes pull in 50k for state championship games. Towns and neighborhoods are shut down for a Friday Night just to go see kids play football. It is a religion here. The atmosphere of high school football cannot be matched by any other state in the country. Midland Lee which was out in West Texas took 20,000 fans with them when they won state championships in the late 90s.

In my opinion its a pretty big sport state.

How in the world is Dallas not included in this list? Houston no But Dallas deserves to be up there with the rest of them.Nothing against Atlanta but Chicago, Dallas as well as Denver should be included over Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, so the Cowboys and Mavericks have sold out all of their games over the last five years and Texas had more people at the Rose Bowl than Michigan. How able the 1984 Freedom Bowl when Texas sent a total of 2,400 and the total attendance was 24,093. In numerous visits to the Sun Bowl by Texas, only once did the attendance figure break 31,000 and that was 50,612 in 1994. The 33,122 for the Bluebonnet Bowl of 1987 was it's death nail. Sitting in games on the 50 yard line between Texas and Houston in the eighties in the AstroDome stretched out with my legs over the seats in front of me and looking at the 50,000+ empty seats told me just how big Houston was at following Houston during its winning era. I do not say that there are not fans and compared to a number of places a strong fan base in Texas, it is just not what Texans think and compared to some other areas not a big sport state. I went to school at Texas and I have seen it first hand. I also went to school at Tennessee and can tell you that Texas fans in no way compare with SEC fans.

Well of course not. Im not comparing Texas fans to SEC Fans. Different type of fans. Not many schools out there are like SEC fans not just Texas. But make no mistake. Texas football has a huge following in this state. Texas and A&M for that matter have huge followings.You say you went to school in Texas but was you here this past April and May. When Dallas and Houston played each other in the conference quarterfinals. You would seriously change your mind. It was fun down here and Houston wanted to beat Dallas badly and vice versa while San Antonio just sat there and watched laughing. But it was a great time for sports in this state and it was typical as well because it wasn't new.

Sorry but I think this is a great sports state.

• 3 months later...

I dont think any city compares to Boston in Sports we have the best basketball team ever one of the best football and baseball teams ever and it has one of the most famous sporting venues ever.

Boston is hands down the best sports venue in the country.

Detroit Rewings (NHL) 10 Time Stanley Cup Champions

Detroit(Metro) Area is Nicknamed Hockeytown

Detroit Tigers (MLB) 4 Time World Series Champions

Detroit Pistons(NBA) 3 Time World Champions

Detroit Shock(WNBA) 1 World Championship

Detroit(Area) hosted Super Bowl XVI and will Host Superbowl XL February 2, 2006

Detroit Hosted the 2005 MLB Allstar Game Recently in Summer 2005

Detroit(area) Colleges Like University of Michigan , and Michigan State have one the best Sports College teams in Country.

The Michigan V.S Ohio State Football Rivlary game is the most seen college football game in country and the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago hands down. This city is so big on sports that they have minor league teams that sell out in sports that already have major league teams.

Chicago Bears (NFL)

Chicago Cubs (MLB)

Chicago White Sox (MLB)

Chicago Bulls (NBA)

Chicago Black Hawks (NHL)

Chicago Fire (MLS)

Chicago Rush (Arena Football)

Chicago Wolves (AHL)

Depaul University (Division I)

Northwestern University (Division I)

Northern Illinois University (Disviosn I)

Chicagoland Speedway (NASACAR)

Western Open (PGA Tour Golf)

Arlington Park (Horseracing - Arlington Million)

^Chicago is definately one of he top sport cities in the country.

I was really amazed when I saw he support up their for both the Cubs and the White Sox. You here alot about it on T.V., but I had never really experienced the love of baseball up there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd naturally say Boston as a Boston native. But I don't think Boston has it all. I'd say Boston is the best town for pro sports, with Philly, Chicago and Detroit coming up right behind. Yeah, NYC's the biggest, but that's not really the argument.

I would say not having the support for college sports in Boston could hurt the city as far as all sports are concerned. Indeed college hockey is a pretty big deal and BC basketball is great (and BU to some extent), but college athletics in Boston are nothing compared to what they are in places like Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh NC or the entire state of Alabama (although you might argue they only thrive there in lieu of pro sports).

Top 5 IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

Boston

Chicago

Pittsburgh

Detroit

Philadelphia

Sorry Denver. Not after the Broncos beat the Pats last month.

I'd naturally say Boston as a Boston native. But I don't think Boston has it all. I'd say Boston is the best town for pro sports, with Philly, Chicago and Detroit coming up right behind. Yeah, NYC's the biggest, but that's not really the argument.

I would say not having the support for college sports in Boston could hurt the city as far as all sports are concerned. Indeed college hockey is a pretty big deal and BC basketball is great (and BU to some extent), but college athletics in Boston are nothing compared to what they are in places like Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh NC or the entire state of Alabama (although you might argue they only thrive there in lieu of pro sports).

Top 5 IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

Boston

Chicago

Pittsburgh

Detroit

Philadelphia

Sorry Denver. Not after the Broncos beat the Pats last month.

Best town for pro sports/sports doesn't necessarily mean best sports city . . .

But, yes, the larger cities that have the big 3 1/2 tend to have more offerings than smaller cities.

I believe Cleveland is and well hear me out on this one. First of all yes I know we haven't had any winning championships in years but we have a great history of sports in this town. First of all the first Monday Night Football was in cleveland. The heisman trophy was named after a clevelander. The Cleveland Browns fans were named the best fans a few years back as well as many seasons. The cleveland Browns are also one of the most expensive sports franchises as stated in forbes.

We also have the Cleveland Indians. During the 90's we went to the world series twice and we have won 5 divions champs during that time. We also have the record for the most consecutive sold out games during the 90's with 7 and a half seasons which amounts to 455 straight sell outs.

We also have the cavaliers and well we have Lebron. I mean this guy is amazing and exciting to watch and has brought excitement to basketball in cleveland. I mean our fans support the browns and Indians 100 percent no matter what. If the weather is bad and even if we don't win all that much our fans stick behind our teams and thats why I think we have a great sports town. We have the best fans out there and always are their to support them.

The cleveland crunch have won 3 of the last 5 titles and then their is the lumberjacks which aren't the greatest but heck its a hocky team.

They are also thinking of brining a major league soccer team to Cleveland.

I believe that we should be in the poll for the best sports town because we have amazing fans that give unprecedented support. We aren't like most of the sports towns where fans just sprout out after a winning season for example like cincinnati. I mean we have 3 new facilities for our sports teams, fans that will never give up on their team, I mean the guyfor the Indians comes in with a drum to get the crowd riled up and hes been doing that for about 11 years straight now. Where else can you get devoted fans like us??? Very few places. That's why I think we should be on the poll and well one of the best sports town.

Im gonna have to go with Boston on this one

There are the obvious Boston teams

Boston Red Sox

Boston Bruins

Boston Celtics

New England Patriots (They are in Foxboro outside of New England in a new stadium which they received when they backed out of a deal for a new stadium in Hartford)

Plus some more intresting ones

New England Revolution Soccer Team who play at Gillette Stadium

Boston Cannons (Major League Lacrosse team) who play at Boston University's Nickerson Field

Major Events

Boston Marathon

Head of the Charles Regatta

Some of the Colleges with sports in Greater Boston

Boston University

Boston College

Northeastern University

Harvard University

UMASS Boston

Endicott College

Lasell College

Mount Ida College

Emmanual College

Simmons College

Bentley College

Brandeis University

Emerson College

Lesley College

MIT

Merrimack College

Stonehill College

Suffolk University

Tufts University

Wheaton College

Wheelock College

Wentworth Institute of Technology

Regis College

Salem State College

Hellenic College

Fisher College

Curry College

^You guys are really not giving LA sufficient respect. IN spite of the fact that we were robbed of our two NFL teams, look at whats left:

Major league baseball

LA Dodgers

LA Angels of Anaheim

Minor league baseball

Long Beach Breakers

Rancho Cucamonga Quakes

High Dessert Mavericks

Lancaster Jethawks

Southern Cal Fire

Lake Elsinore Storm

NHL Hockey

LA Kings

Mighty Ducks

Minor league hockey

Long Beach Ice dogs

NBA Basketball

LA Lakers

LA CLippers

WNBA

LA Sparks

Soccer

LA Galaxy

Chivas

Arena football

Los Angeles Avengers

College sports too many to mention them all

USC Trojans

UCLA Bruins

Pepperdine Waves

Loyola Marymount Lions

Cal State Northridge Matadors

Long Beach State

Cal State Fullerton Titans

UCI Anteaters

Azuza Pacific Cougars

Rose Bowl

Golf

Nissan LA Open

More than 115 golf courses in LA/OC. More than 100 more in Riverside,san bernardino+Ventura counties

Mercedes Benz Cup

Auto racing

Auto Club 500/California Speedway

Long Beach/Nissan Grand Prix

Irwindale spedway

Track events

Mount San Antonia Relays

LA Marathon

LA Triathelon

Culver city Marathon

Palos Verdes Marathon

Trans Pac sail race

Huntington Beach Pro/AM Surfing

Plenty of freshwater and Ocean fishing

Scuba diving in county

Horse racing

Hollywood Park

Santa Anita

Los Alamitos

Skiing

Bear Mountain

Mountain high

Olympic skating facility at Lake Arrowhead

X Games

ESPY Awards

And two Olympic games.

^You guys are really not giving LA sufficient respect. IN spite of the fact that we were robbed of our two NFL teams, look at whats left:

College sports too many to mention them all

USC Trojans

UCLA Bruins

Rose Bowl

I don't think that I would say robbed of two NFL teams. LA would not support creating a modern stadium to allow the teams to have a venue to showcase the teams. I am not going to discuss the merits or downsides to private organizations recieving facilities at the cost of the taxpayers, but that is the cost of mantaining a major league team. Just as a television market, the NFL would always want to mantain a team in LA. LA just did not want to do what it needed to do to stay in the ballgame.

LA has so many people that they should be able to support any sport and as you mentioned have multiple teams in various sports. As far as the USC Trojans and UCLA Bruins, they get reasonable support. UCLA keeps large sections of the Rose Bowl covered because they can't fill it. The Coliseum had it's size shrunk for the same reason. They get major league crowds, but there are a number of of colleges that can and do support stadiums the size of those and fill them.

The Coliseum was improved for the Olympics and is relatively modern. The Rose Bowl is far from a modern stadium. It is also far removed from UCLA which only highlights the fact that LA doesn't support teams through facilty construction the way it should. Both teams play in outmoded basketball facilities.

The Rose Bowl and the Olympic type events are just that events that attract by their rarity. They are not indications of support for sports.

Archived