1. 1. What is the best sports city

• New York
    • Boston
    • Atlanta
    • St louis
    • Pittsburgh
    • Detroit
    • Other

I believe Cleveland is and well hear me out on this one. First of all yes I know we haven't had any winning championships in years but we have a great history of sports in this town. First of all the first Monday Night Football was in cleveland. The heisman trophy was named after a clevelander. The Cleveland Browns fans were named the best fans a few years back as well as many seasons. The cleveland Browns are also one of the most expensive sports franchises as stated in forbes.

We also have the Cleveland Indians. During the 90's we went to the world series twice and we have won 5 divions champs during that time. We also have the record for the most consecutive sold out games during the 90's with 7 and a half seasons which amounts to 455 straight sell outs.

We also have the cavaliers and well we have Lebron. I mean this guy is amazing and exciting to watch and has brought excitement to basketball in cleveland. I mean our fans support the browns and Indians 100 percent no matter what. If the weather is bad and even if we don't win all that much our fans stick behind our teams and thats why I think we have a great sports town. We have the best fans out there and always are their to support them.

The cleveland crunch have won 3 of the last 5 titles and then their is the lumberjacks which aren't the greatest but heck its a hocky team.

They are also thinking of brining a major league soccer team to Cleveland.

I believe that we should be in the poll for the best sports town because we have amazing fans that give unprecedented support. We aren't like most of the sports towns where fans just sprout out after a winning season for example like cincinnati. I mean we have 3 new facilities for our sports teams, fans that will never give up on their team, I mean the guyfor the Indians comes in with a drum to get the crowd riled up and hes been doing that for about 11 years straight now. Where else can you get devoted fans like us??? Very few places. That's why I think we should be on the poll and well one of the best sports town.

We also hosted the International Children's games which is a division of the olympics and the second largest gathering international sport other than the olympic's themselves. They chose Cleveland to be their first city in the United States to hold these games.

WE also held the gravity games for the third year in a row which is an extreme sport gathering and the second largest extreme sport gathering in the nation.

Cleveland held the first and second round tournaments of the mens NCAA College Basketball and will host the women's college basketball Final Four in 2007.

We also have the Cleveland Grand Prix and CART along with the Roar on the Shore which is a speed boat racing. Along with that we have Sail Boat races and other unique activities. Cleveland was also named #2 in the nations for sports and recreation.

My only point is that with the fans we have and the support we give our teams to all the diverse sports we have in this city why are we not on the poll? I think Cleveland should be added and I'm sure we would get just as many if not more votes then the other cities on that poll.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that I would say robbed of two NFL teams. LA would not support creating a modern stadium to allow the teams to have a venue to showcase the teams. I am not going to discuss the merits or downsides to private organizations recieving facilities at the cost of the taxpayers, but that is the cost of mantaining a major league team. Just as a television market, the NFL would always want to mantain a team in LA. LA just did not want to do what it needed to do to stay in the ballgame.

LA has so many people that they should be able to support any sport and as you mentioned have multiple teams in various sports. As far as the USC Trojans and UCLA Bruins, they get reasonable support. UCLA keeps large sections of the Rose Bowl covered because they can't fill it. The Coliseum had it's size shrunk for the same reason. They get major league crowds, but there are a number of of colleges that can and do support stadiums the size of those and fill them.

The Coliseum was improved for the Olympics and is relatively modern. The Rose Bowl is far from a modern stadium. It is also far removed from UCLA which only highlights the fact that LA doesn't support teams through facilty construction the way it should. Both teams play in outmoded basketball facilities.

The Rose Bowl and the Olympic type events are just that events that attract by their rarity. They are not indications of support for sports.

Aren't we snippy today?

Both the rose bowl and Colliseum hold more than 90,000 seats. While I grant that Ohio state and Michigan can fill larger venues, there is no other city that fills two such large stadia on a regular basis even if seats have been reduced from over 100,000 in both venues. They also provide the best intracity sports rivalry in the country. It doesn't matter where the USC-UCLA game is played. Its gonna be in town. Believe me tickets for USC football have not been easy to get or cheap in the past couple of years.

Whatever you think of Pauley and the Sports Arena, they have been good enough to host the Olympic games, and of course USC opens the new Galen Arena next year which will replace the Sports Arena. UCLA has won more NCAA championships than any other college and USC is not far behind.

As far as the modern stadium issue, there have been multiple plans put forward to get one built, although the city is loathe to tear down the historic Colliseum, the only stadium in the US to host two Olympic games, and also loathe to create a monstrosity like the current Soldier's field in Chicago. The city lost its NFL teams due to the greed of two of the most venal owners in the NFL and they are welcome to St. Louis and Oakland.

The town supported the Rams and Raiders quite well while they were here. We have one of the newest and best facilities for pro basketball around. The politics of the loss of the NFL teams was a perfect storm of greed and grandstanding and I have no doubt that we will be the next city to gain an NFL team.

Aren't we snippy today?

I tried to answer earlier, but I guess that I had too much fun because it didn't take it. I was just having fun with you because you spent so much time into listing so many things.

I thought about your statement about intercity rivalry and thought, let's see there is FAMU vs FSU. I couldn't even think of another. :blush: I wanted to be able to use UC vs Stanford, but they are really in different cities.

USC was 7th in attendance in 2005 with 90,812 ave. UCLA was 24th with 64,218 ave. They have averaged between 56,636 and 65,396 over the last five years. USC was as low as 66,853 in 2002 before going up to 77,804 in 2003 and starting fill the stadium in 2004.

Having fun. :P

I tried to answer earlier, but I guess that I had too much fun because it didn't take it. I was just having fun with you because you spent so much time into listing so many things.

I thought about your statement about intercity rivalry and thought, let's see there is FAMU vs FSU. I couldn't even think of another. :blush: I wanted to be able to use UC vs Stanford, but they are really in different cities.

USC was 7th in attendance in 2005 with 90,812 ave. UCLA was 24th with 64,218 ave. They have averaged between 56,636 and 65,396 over the last five years. USC was as low as 66,853 in 2002 before going up to 77,804 in 2003 and starting fill the stadium in 2004.

Having fun. :P

Fun is good. I could have made my list much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Philly is by far the best sports town in the world. Many may call us "ruthless" or "trash" or a boat load of other dirty names but i would say that the words you're actually looking for are "loyal" and "dedicated." The Eagles have never won a superbowl in their history and they are still #3 in the NFL in terms of revenue (ticket sales, jersey sales, media contracts...). The 76ers havent won since the 80's and havent been good in back to back years in just as long but they are still in the middle of the pack in sellout crowds. the Phillies however hardly ever sellout. maybe Philly just isnt much of a baseball town. The flyers are just as competitive (if not more) than any other team in ticket sales. Some people say that Philly fans have no class. If the home team messes up, why not boo them? they did something wrong and we should let them know. Why cheer for your team when they are a complete failure? The Eagles had a losing reecord last year and still managed to sell out every home game of the year. The Patriots on the other hand made the playoffs and didnt sell out every home game. Even I can admitt that Eagles fans are sometimes quite rowdy. But throwing snowballs at Santa was a joke and a one time thing. And even when they cheered when Michael Irvin broke his neck, that was an isolated incident. But i must defend. Michael was and still a Dallas Cowboy, our sworn enemy. And I think Michael Irvin hates Philly more than we hate him. Is there a better sports town than Philly anywhere in the world? No way...Especially not Boston.

Though I live in the South, I was born and grew up in NJ in the shadows of the WTC. The fact that NYC is the best sports city shouldn't even be debatable. However, given the lackluster attendance figures for the Isles, Devils and at times the Mets and Nets, I voted for St. Loius. The fans are knowledgeable, they draw well (even the lackluster Blues), and the long defunct Spirits of St. Louis should be challenging for the 2005-6 NBA crown (but no, they let the damn Nuggets in instead.)

Yea, the Boston beer bellies will try to state their case in-between dry heave puking sessions, but come on, all Massachusetts is best for is electing left-wink (some guys DO wink at other guys with their right eye, though) politicians, aka Gerry Studds and Barney (Can I Put Some Mayo On Your) Frank, as well as Ted Kennedy. Great ballpark, but why did they tear down the original Garden, and why are they the NE Pats and not the Boston Patriots??

Philly, meanwhile, will forever be known as the city that booed Darren Daulton's wife and KIDS on family appreciation day. Despite those brownie points, the karma from all those empty seats at the Vet are still resonating in cyberspace after all these years. Plus, no championship since I was fantasizing about my middle school teacher. Geez......

And Los (No NFL Team Since 1995) Angeles? In the words of Tony Soprano..."hagetaboutit"

"However, given the lackluster attendance figures for the Isles, Devils and at times the Mets and Nets, I voted for St. Loius. ...and the long defunct Spirits of St. Louis

At times?! The Nets were actually rumored to be looking to jump to Brooklyn. St. Louis? You need all the sports to be a top sports city!

"Great ballpark, but why did they tear down the original Garden, and why are they the NE Pats and not the Boston Patriots??"

It was an old dump. Skyboxes and more vending options are necessary to finance operations in today's pro sports market.

Foxboro is closer to Providence than Boston. And with the new stadium, there's no better NFL setting to fill your belly with beer anywhere! They were the Boston Patriots when they played at Fenway in the 60's.

"Philly, meanwhile, will forever be known as the city that booed Darren Daulton's wife and KIDS on family appreciation day."

What do you expect from fans whose home ballpark has an on site courtroom with a judge ready to rule?!

Dan

Prov., RI

Oh, a note to the posters citing the extreme sports special events under their top sports city pick:

The X Games and Gravity Games competitions both were born in Providence (and Newport, RI - '95) and no city owns them as part of their local sports "portfolio." They move all around the country like any annual event.

Detroit has the most storied hockey team in the NHL.

Detroit has the current best NBA team, and has sold out every game the last three years.

Detroit sells out every Detroit Lions game at Ford Field, and they are the most difficult ticket to land in the D, just try getting season tickets, the waiting list is years long.

The Tigers have been awful the last 20 years, yet Detroit is still a great baseball city, leading the Central Division in attendance last year, beating the WS champs Chicago White Sox.

The most popular sports college (at least the numbers suggest it with them leading in generated revenue outside of ticket sales), the University of Michigan, is just a 30 minute drive (if that) away.

The second best basketball program in the last 8 or so years (1. Duke 2. MSU) is about an hour away.

Eastern Michigan, not so great a team but still a D-1 school, is immediately next to UofM.

University of Detroit-Mercy and Oakland University, D-1 basketball programs, are within the Detroit-Metro limits.

The only fans not to buy into this Arena Football League fad.

Michigan International Speedway.

3-peat Womens Football National Champs, Detroit Demolition.

Detroit Shock, solid WNBA team.

3 state of the art stadiums, Ford Field, Comerica Park (the model for the modern baseball stadium) and The Palace.

2 storied stadiums, Joe Louis Arena and Tiger Stadium(though it's end is VERY near).

Joe Louis, the "Iron Fist."

And last but not least, the only fans not to put up with Ron Artest's arrogance.

I may have missed some, because there's just so many great things sports wise about this city. I know there's some sort of boat race that everybody attends every year at the Detroit River, but it's not coming to me right now.

[

Oh, a note to the posters citing the extreme sports special events under their top sports city pick:

The X Games and Gravity Games competitions both were born in Providence (and Newport, RI - '95) and no city owns them as part of their local sports "portfolio." They move all around the country like any annual event.

I 'm happy for you that you love your home town but the summer X-games have been centered in LA since 2003 and have a contract to stay in LA until 2009. That's good enough for me. The likelyhood of them returning to Providence is less than the odds of the Rams returning to LA. The winter games seem to belong to Aspen currently even though they started in LA. (Bear Mountain, an hour and a half out of downtown LA.

• 4 weeks later...

Apape06, Mo-town is a great sports area, I would even include UM in that mix.

I don't think they are the BEST though, Toronto and Montreal would contest the "hockey capital of the world" possibly even NYC or Pittsburgh (ask me about that Pittsburgh was one of the original NHL franchises and would be still save the Great Depression, had the first pro team and the taught the Canadiens how to produce artificial ice rinks--as well as the rest of the world).

Mo-town in my mind is a definite top 10 if not top 5 but I wouldn't put it top 3. I would put Pittsburgh on par with it if not slightly ahead, though NYC, Boston and Chicago possibly Dallas and Philly would be ahead of those

• 1 month later...

I think you have to include history, and famous superstars, also in deciding. And seperate college from pros, a lot of the top pro towns don't really have much as far as college success, Boston, Chicago, Philly, etc. And Atlanta...ROFL, yeah right! ATL is a transient town, everybody here supports the teams where they came from and/or where they plan to go to. As far as the few natives here, they mostly support the Braves and Georgia Bulldogs(college). And even they are pretty fairweather.

Top Pro:

1. Detroit

2. Boston

3. Chicago

4. Philly

5. Pittsburgh

6. Dallas

7. NYC

8. St. Louis

9. Cleveland

10. Buffalo (yeah I know they're only 2 sport, but still)

College:

1. EAST LANSING, MI

2. Columbus, OH

3. Ann Arbor, MI

4. Madison

5. Baton Rouge

What about Chapel Hill and Durham? Connecticut's culture is big on the huskies. Your list seems heavily biased towards the midwest.

You know I actually had Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill on my list at first, then removed it and put Madison on. I'll give you that one though, considering just the sheer # of big name schools and the basketball tradition between them. I'm leaning towards midwest, because they are not just big basketball, or big football schools, most of those schools have great traditions in at least 3 or more sports. This may be biased, but I always think the midwestern/rustbelt cities/schools have much better fans, at least more rabid fans. Because, generally, the people in this area are blue collar, so you get much more of a Joe six-pack type of crowd vs. a bunch of rebellious rich kids at say a Duke or UNC. So I think they make better fans than drunk rich kids. Just my opinion!

• 1 month later...

for all you boston fans... you like to call the pats and the sox some of the best teams in their sport? the sox, may i remind you, have won a total of 3 world series... and the pats doing so great is very recent.

let's not forget the greatest sports franchise in the history of all sports... the new york yankees, which is why my vote was for new york. boston loses out simply because the red sox fans are a bunch of cry-babies who don't seem to remember what season it is when they're chanting "yankees suck" at patriots games (or even concerts).

Archived