Columbia Buildings That Could Be Cool

emerging.me

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the old Firehouse HQ in the Vista

The city has it up for sale and proposals are due next week. The winner won't necessarily be the best price. I think they are taking preservation, use, price, and experience of developer in the equation. I have heard there are over 30 people bidding on the property. Should be interesting

I heard a rumor that there may be a design competition in the near future for adaptive reusage of this building. Could mean redevelopment will finally happen! :)

b

Hey, what was the purpose of the little tower looking part on the corner of the old fire station? :unsure:

I think a couple of floors should be added and the building should house several stores and restaurants, and maybe a night club "The Fire House!" :rofl:

I'm sure if the garage doors were all replaced by large panes of glass, that area would be a good restaurant, store, and even better a night club. :thumbsup: Just imagine riding by at night and seeing all the lights and people in the club having a great time. :whistling:

Why I could do with $1 billion dollars... :blush:

I peaked through the windows and saw the hole in the ceiling for the pole, but no pole. I knew a gallery in Soho that had a firepole and the gallery owner used to make her entrance descending from her office on the balcony like that. Very dramatic. I tried it a few times, it's hard.

Those garage doors should definitely be all glass garage doors, so they can all be opened when weather allows it to connect the indoors with the outdoors.

An art gallery would be cool, but I think something that creates

more pedestrian traffic would be better, especially with the mills right

across the street.

LOL, it would be right around the corner from a similar establishment.

In the Vista? :huh: Where?

An art gallery would be cool, but I think something that creates

more pedestrian traffic would be better, especially with the mills right

across the street.

True. It would also be good to see the mast arm and pole stoplight features come to that area of town.

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like you guys will be getting your wish about the old fire department HQ's. It will become apartments, condos, stores, and perhaps a museum in the Vista. Columbia is REALLY on a roll when it comes to adaptive reuse these days. This is the third building being advocated for reuse in recent weeks (Palmetto Compress & Warehouse Co. building and the Gallery 701 building are the others).

[Tom]Prioreschi said he could have made more money by razing the building, "but sometimes that's not appropriate."

"It's important to save all buildings that are historically significant to create a sense of place," he said. "We can buy empty land to build a condo tower. (Developers) need to do both."

A six-story condo tower is planned to be built in back using the department’s unique training tower as “a significant architectural feature.”

Somebody throw Prioreschi a party or somethin'!

Well, it looks like you guys will be getting your wish about the old fire department HQ's. It will become apartments, condos, stores, and perhaps a museum in the Vista. Columbia is REALLY on a roll when it comes to adaptive reuse these days. This is the third building being advocated for reuse in recent weeks (Palmetto Compress & Warehouse Co. building and the Gallery 701 building are the others).

A six-story condo tower is planned to be built in back using the department

Wow; that's awesome! I hope a residential mid-rise or even high-rise built from the ground up is in those plans.

I feel confident with Prioreschi doing this, as he has tons of experience with adapting historic structures to residential reuse as evidenced by Capital Place's projects on Main.

Archived