Still looking for a convention center

bobliocatt

I like your Dupont center idea, it would certainly be the best southbank option by far. However, the part about demolishing the buildings would never happen. The owners clearly have no intention to sell the property at a reasonable price, otherwise a developer would have already bought the parking lot for residential highrises. Frankly, I would kill to have the ability to secure the financing for 3 or 4 residential skyscrapers on the Dupont center parking lot. I think the site has tremendous potential, despite the proximity to I95.

Personally, I've always preferred expanding the current center. While we clearly need more exibition space, there's no reason to turn the project into a money-pit. You think the courthouse was expensive? Just wait until someone tries to build a 4 story, million square foot, riverfront mega-center designed by frank ghery ;)

I think a simple 'ol expansion onto the prime o's parking lot would do just fine.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately the Dupont land is a lot smaller than all of the potential convention center sites, including site 5 (Alltel parking lot). The footprint isn't that large and there's no room for future expansion, without demolishing Morton's, Hampton Inn and Extended Stay. The large surface parking lot at the NE corner of the I-95/Main Street Bridge interchange would probably be better, except its about two blocks from the nearest skyway station.

With the knowledge that the BJP is 3/4 billion dollars over budget and the mayors current tenure has no plan to even entertain the idea of a convention center, lets get some of those projects under control then focus on improving our public transportation syste - i.e. skyway, bus, trolley, etc. to make it easier for people to get to and from place and both sides of the river. Lets work on polishing downtown a little with some landscaping, lighting and signage. Convention Center.... great thought but so many more things are in greater need at the moment.

Unfortunately the Dupont land is a lot smaller than all of the potential convention center sites, including site 5 (Alltel parking lot).  The footprint isn't that large and there's no room for future expansion, without demolishing Morton's, Hampton Inn and Extended Stay.  The large surface parking lot at the NE corner of the I-95/Main Street Bridge interchange would probably be better, except its about two blocks from the nearest skyway station.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Dupont site is 11.76 acres, excluding the land under the skyway. JTA owns 2.03 acress across Montana Street from the Dupont site (swap land for highway $?). It is vacant and there is about 1 more acre in that same block, which I think is also vacant. Immediately above those parcels there is around 2 acres on the South side of the School board property that will be cut-off by extending Prudential into the JEA site. There is also a triangle shaped parcel bound by Montana, Colorado and I-95.

Also, the center can be two levels, or can be build to add a second level later. I don't see the site size as a issue. Keep in mind, the garage is on a different parcel entirely (South of I-95), so it doesn't consume any of the above mentioned acreage. Not to mention the garage is ALREADY built.

Plus the buyer of the JEA site would probably donate 1-2 acres just to get the center so close.

As for the seller demanding an exorbitant price, the city could simply invoke emenient domain. One of the DuPont buildings is currently more than 50% vacant. They might take a reasonable offer. An alternative would be to reserve one corner for them to replace their two 4-story buildings with one 12-20 story one. One that would have river views (al least until the S.M. Riverwalk is built).

My point is, consider ALL possible alternatives, something might pan out. It couldn't be any more difficult than trying to wedge a center between CSX, 550 Water and the Bennett Federal Building.

duPont%20aerial.jpg

Sorry, I was thinking about the parking lot, between the skyway tracks and Hampton Inn, near San Marco Place.

If a convention center was to be build on the Southbank, that would be the best site, with the I-95, Kings Ave garage, the skyway and San Marco Riverwalk, all being adjacent to that massive parking lot. It would get great visibility from being located right next to that elevated section of I-95.

I think it's a great idea. With all the developement going in right around there (San Marco Place, San Marco Riverwalk, The Peninsula, The Strand, the JEA property), it could all be part of "The New Southbank". I figured since our city is so keen on slogans and cool names that it would fly. Heck, you could even put it on a banner. :thumbsup:

Archived