The Vue

cooperdawg

Admin's Note: I've combined various threads into this one to discuss the Vue now that it is formally announced. See this post for renderings.

I think I've seen brief mention of a tower in 4th ward, but can't find the thread. Learned this morning my current firm is chasing a 50 story project in 4th ward. Not sure of specific site location just yet, but do know it is residential and is being planned to be geared towards women (first time I've heard of such a type of contruction, I'm curious to see what all that entails).

Levine plans for a first ward park are moving forward slowly, office is in pursuit of that contract.

Midtown project is coming along nicely. May also be moving forward on site development work in South End along Morehead. Not sure if this is the 615 project everyone is waiting on or not, I'll let you know what I find out.

Also, did I read the Park project that has been delayed so long is now moving forward?

I think I've seen brief mention of a tower in 4th ward, but can't find the thread.  Learned this morning my current firm is chasing a 50 story project in 4th ward.  Not sure of specific site location just yet, but do know it is residential and is being planned to be geared towards women (first time I've heard of such a type of contruction, I'm curious to see what all that entails).

Levine plans for a first ward park are moving forward slowly, office is in pursuit of that contract.

Midtown project is coming along nicely.  May also be moving forward on site development work in South End along Morehead.  Not sure if this is the 615 project everyone is waiting on or not, I'll let you know what I find out.

Also, did I read the Park project that has been delayed so long is now moving forward?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmmm, where is left in 4th ward for such a tall tower? The only places i can figure where people would not be up in arms about such a tall tower are the day's inn block and the Trade street side of the Builder's Building block (between 1st presby, 5th/pop, cityview twrs, trademark). I'm there are othes, but i'd be surprise if a tower that large does not have a Tryon or Trade street address and be within a block or two of existing highrises.

Yeah.....those would be the only sites I could think of too.......I keep thinking the block with the builders building is the most obvious block in the whole city for development.....(how do you gear a project towards women? or is this just a way of saying the building will be really secure and offer over the top ammenities? or better yet, maybe their are complimentay teddies provided for the weekly residents' pillow fight in the pool area......)

I would really love to see the Rennisance (sp?) Inn destroyed, and then destroyed again and then sterilize the site due to rampant STDs. However, I would prefer to see an office tower on Tryon and keep the residential towers on the other major streets in downtown.

• Like 1

Technically yes, but the HDC can kill any project in forth ward because they deem it out of place except for those between Tryon and Church and the block where the Polk Building is (this wouldn't be a bad site either, though the state obviously wants to give the site to JWU instead of cash)

The HDC and the Forth Ward group in particular seem very unlikely to allow this kind of development as infill (even on the Builders building site, where I believe they want an 8-story limit) Therefore as cooperdawg said, it will almost certainly have to be along Tryon.

• Like 1

Last night i finally watched the county meeting about the park, where furman spoke. One of the statistics he announced to the commission to describe why he is so bullish on downtown: 1/3 of american households are without children, 1/3 are just a single person, and only 19% are the traditional 2 parents + children. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? I think my jaw literally dropped at that statistic. One one level, it is very sad, because you image the portion of those that are painful divorces, and kids without dads, etc.... but from a biz/urban perspective, that is a huge potential demand for urban housing.

I raise that statistic here, because the natural progression from that is to build housing for all the different target markets, given the larger differences in family types. "Traditionally", uptown has been for 1 person or dink households (ie. gays, young uptown workers, artists, some empty nesters...), but now it makes sense to try to build to woo 1 mother + 1 child, or single women, or widow households, which typically aren't as interested in dense urban living.

Atlrvr, what kinds of teddies are you referring to? It makes a big difference as to whether i will try to move to a unit over looking the pool of this new project :wub:.

I'm sure the basics of the project would be the same, but tuning it for women's needs would probably include some children-associated amenties (maybe even childcare!?), bigger closets, and extra bathroom amenties.

Nope.....the HDC has say over any improvements to a site.....from a simple as changing the front door, to as complex as a new tower......"Friends of 4th Ward" the neighborhood association cannot prevent it except vocally oppose it, but since they have a say to HDC, they can help stop it that way.......so, in short, if the HDC says no, it's not happening (that's why all the new stuff in 4th ward is brick and/or very traditional looking and relatively low rise.....I'm pretty sure 8-stories is the max they will accept.) They do have legal control as viewed by the city over what can happen, though they were successfully sued by an Elizabeth Community property owner, and now Elizabeth is no longer a historic district.

• Like 1

Angry neighbors and neighborhood associations go a LONG way around here, especially when rezoning is required. Also, depending on where this project is expected to go, there are historic district rules in play, too.

With 5th/poplar, cityview and builders all being 8 stories, and with carillon and trademark across trade being 25+ stories, i think that block should be accepted at an intermediate height like 15 stories. Last time i checked, the church owned that land, so they may have announced their intention to not sell to projects taller than 8 stories. I'm not sure though.

yes (i think you meant north of trade). 

Atlrvr, what kinds of teddies are you referring to?  It makes a big difference as to whether i will try to move to a unit over looking the pool of this new project  :wub:.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The type I was referring to would have you getting in your car and going to the Army surplus store to by covert clothing, and night vision equipment.....

• Like 1

Actually Cotton Mills is outside the historic district as well.....that block and the Polk Bldg.......however the blocks of the west of Graham and north of 6th are in the district.......not sure why, especially since the Cotton Mills building is the most historic commercial building in uptown IMO.

• Like 1

Actually Cotton Mills is outside the historic district as well.....that block and the Polk Bldg.......however the blocks of the west of Graham and north of 6th are in the district.......not sure why, especially since the Cotton Mills building is the most historic commercial building in uptown IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would that lead you to believe the Polk Bldg is a possible site?

It could be a possible site, though considering that they just announced that they wanted to donate it to JWU, it seems a little unlikely......however, I doubt the state would turn up their noses at an attractive bid......the site isn't bad, but I think it's likelier that this would go between 9th and 10th along Tryon.....

I'm really interested in that Polk site.....I always thought a hotel like a Sheraton would be the perfect use for that site.

• Like 1

Would that lead you to believe the Polk Bldg is a possible site?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even though i think that such a tall tower would almost certainly be on trade, tryon, college or church, i doubt the polk site is a good option if it were geared to women. The only women i can imagine who would get a place across from the bus station would be those who gain employment through the bus station...

It could be a possible site, though considering that they just announced that they wanted to donate it to JWU, it seems a little unlikely......however, I doubt the state would turn up their noses at an attractive bid......the site isn't bad, but I think it's likelier that this would go between 9th and 10th along Tryon.....

I'm really interested in that Polk site.....I always thought a hotel like a Sheraton would be the perfect use for that site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would make a good site for a hotel... its just too bad that the market for a new hotel just isn't there at the moment... However, maybe they can do like a combo residential/hotel project and just have to hotel be a second phase once that market picks up... which I know it will ... esp with all the new developements to bring ppl in.

The polk building is a good site for just about anything... I would much rather have the state take bids on it than for them just to hand it over to JW

Even though i think that such a tall tower would almost certainly be on trade, tryon, college or church, i doubt the polk site is a good option if it were geared to women.  The only women i can imagine who would get a place across from the bus station would be those who gain employment through the bus station...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That station will be razed for the new multi-modal travel plaza being built by the state in 2007. It will become the center of transit for the region.

Even though i think that such a tall tower would almost certainly be on trade, tryon, college or church, i doubt the polk site is a good option if it were geared to women.  The only women i can imagine who would get a place across from the bus station would be those who gain employment through the bus station...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the bus station wont be there for too much longer...(few years maybe)... its all part of that mega multi use station going closer to gateway.

Won't greyhound still be part of the multimodal complex?

I know that the seediness of that block will be improved drastically when construction begins in 3 years, but in the mean time, i still think it would hard to target market to women while the existing stuff is still there. Also, even in its eventual state, transit stations tend to feel less safe at night than other areas, so it still would be hard to imagine building such a large project tailored to women right across the street.

I don't feel strongly about it, though, as i can see some ways it could work... just a gut feeling that it isn't a good location. (and was a good setup for a joke, so i took it ;)).