The Vue

cooperdawg

A big issue is rent. A commercial space like that is going to be very expensive for a local entrepreneur to rent; chains can afford some overhead, whereas people who are just getting their feet wet need cheaper space. This is why Charlotte's downtown tends to be chain-oriented overall; we don't have much older stock to support new businesses, so we get the folks who can afford to pay a lot of rent. It would probably be smart for some of these buildings' owners to partner with the city to offer incentives to local entrepreneurs (reduced rents, tax breaks) to start businesses in the new retail spaces. Eventually the "real" rent will start to decline and the area will be "seeded" with enough energy to sustain itself.

(Of course, I think that even city involvement should be unnecessary. It seems obvious that a building owner should take cheap rent over no rent; but they usually seem reluctant to do that.)

I agree with that.   It is counterintuitive to me when spaces sit empty because of high rent.   The whole point of market pricing is to lower to the point where someone will go in.  

But if it is true that a wine bar is going in, then I guess this [post high rent and wait] is an ok strategy if they eventually find someone.   But it seems to me the rent should actually be subsidized by the building (offer low rent as possible) because it is a benefit to residents to have something in the building.   

Aren't there like 2-3 spaces in there (including the leasing office)? 

Could be wrong but I think its 3 + leasing office. 

It's also a benefit to the building owners to have the spaces occupied.

Personally, I think that at least part of the problem is the crappy sidewalk/ped space they built on 5th Street. 

The sidewalk is pretty decent there fronting the Vue I thought? Its extremely narrow across the street and on most of the adjacent blocks though.

The sidewalk is pretty decent there fronting the Vue I thought? Its extremely narrow across the street and on most of the adjacent blocks though.

There are three spaces that total just over 5k square feet NOT including the leasing office space. 

Turning the fire station into SOMETHING would go a long way to bringing more retail, whether it be bar or restaurant, into the bottom of the Vue.

As is, the only foot traffic on that stretch of 5th are basically people who live in the Vue.

I agree that the fire station is a PERFECT spot for an amazingly designed restaurant or bar. I mean, the Fire House sounds like a bar name (and is an awesome speakeasy in Austin) as it is. Someone needs to capitalize, a coffee house would have been a waste IMO. And bring me a Chipotle in the vue please haha, that would increase foot traffic.

And to your point on foot traffic, I live in Gateway and walk past the Vue almost anytime i walk uptown (as does anyone that lives at Post Gateway really), and you have the foot traffic from Camden Cotton Mills too!

Edited by Jayvee

Well, the sidewalk is there but it's not wide enough on 5th St due to the planting strip so you could never have any outdoor dining. Plus they removed the grass for some reason and put river rocks in. Basically, it doesn't 'feel' right to be there to me. 

The sidewalks across 5th and across Pine are plenty wide enough.

Well, the sidewalk is there but it's not wide enough on 5th St due to the planting strip so you could never have any outdoor dining. Plus they removed the grass for some reason and put river rocks in. Basically, it doesn't 'feel' right to be there to me. 

The sidewalks across 5th and across Pine are plenty wide enough.

Oh weird, just street-viewed it and had been remembering it backwards. However I think that planting strip easily gets removed once the retail spaces fill, and the leasing office, when inevitably converted to restaurant space, would have room for a nice outdoor patio if they get rid of that useless fountain. 

The "some reason" for the river rock would be that it can be walked on and dog peed on without severe aesthetic and maintenance issues.   In a way, the river rock is a decent in-between option.  Just like gravel is an in between option for driveways between paving and just driving on the grass.   

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/26/2019 at 6:41 PM, Boricua said:

Real quick question. How did the Vue get approved in 4th Ward in the first  place? A modern residential skyscraper in the middle of an historic Victorian neighborhood?

Same as how the Historic District commission will likely approve whatever tower gets planned at Smith St.      If it is in the zoning to be 50 stories, the commission can't stop them from build 50 stories, just a review of their designs for that 50 story tower.   The HDC approved demolition on the buildings at Smith and 277, in prep for a tower.   In the Vue's case, nothing was on that site, so they just got a review of their new designs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1