The Vue

cooperdawg

After taking a closer look at the aerial rendering, it seems that the end of the footprint could stop before the firehouse. The west part of the block, along graham is either not part of this project's land purchase, or they intend it to be park/buffer along 6th and graham, as is shown in the rendering looking east.

Too bad the tower wont b done until mid-2008, but hey at least there is a plan in place and they are already surveying their land. I am just shocked that there is going to be ANOTHER 50 story residential tower. Everyone was skeptical that the Epicentre could be built because of it's height, and then another one just as tall pops up! How many skyscrapers are in the works to be built now? 6 new residential and 2 newoffice towers?

But if neighborhood leaders have been consulted, i think it nips that in the bud.

Seriously, it is multiple blocks away from the historic houses. It also seems to have incorporated a buffer/park on the north and west sides of the building. Besides, a high-rise with a well designed base can contribute more to the health of the historic district than gravel parking lots, and tire/car maintenance years, and the old apartments put up when 4th ward was a low-income neighborhood.

Oh my God! :w00t:

I must be dreaming, someone please pinch me! Downtown really starts looking like "huge" with all those projects! Since I don't live there, does anyone know how many time before most of those projects will be built? Someone said about mi-2008...Sounds a little far for me, but better late than never!

I'll really have to return to this city within some years...

Well this thing will be done in 2008, but most of the rest of the proposals should be done in about 2 years from now.

I'll speculate on height......their building in Orlando will be 12.17 feet per floor.....so carrying that over and this building will be 608.5'. That's without the cheater spires.....

Do you all think that this will spur more high-rise development in 4th ward, or do you think that this will be the only high-rise there? If this does spur more high-rises in that neighborhood, where do you all think they will go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think that they (the neighborhood) would try to confine high rise to the trade street corridor, or adjacent blocks.

My personal opinion...

Yeah......I think this is the last high-rise parcel besides possibly where the Builders Building is......Boulevard Centro is looking to add another building to it's 715 N Church St. project where their offices are now on 10th and the neighborhood is raising hell. It will be limited to 5 stories and I really think they want it capped at 4. The only other place that I could see a true high rise is where the old 80's apartments are on the west side of Graham (at 8th st.) This could be torn down and rebuilt, maybe without opposition if the lower floors along Graham are brick and somewhat industrial looking.

Edited by atlrvr

Counting 4th ward as anything north of trade and west of tryon, within the 77/277 freeways, i think the possible high rise locations are:

- Builders building block

- Trade Street side of Cityview Towers block

- Polk Building block

- the quarter-circle block between gateway and elmwood (5th, 6th, and RR)

- Days Inn block between 9th/10th/Tryon/Church

A week ago, I would not have considered ANY of these blocks for highrise except the Tryon block.

Well this thing will be done in 2008, but most of the rest of the proposals should be done in about 2 years from now.

Thanks for the answer. 2 years from now for all the rest? So fast? Wow, I can't believe it. All that is really going to change the face of downtown Charlotte.

I dig the two spires on the roof too, definitely different from the crown that was so popular in the 80s and 90s.

Not to be a party-pooper, but I'm not impressed with the big pink/orange parking deck. I understand that residents need to park somewhere, however it doesn't look all to inviting on the street level. This is especially true in the Orlando pictures (although the tennis court, pool and putting green (?) are quite clever). Is there anyway to dress up the parking deck, maybe some small shops lining the exterior wall. The project just looks like something I'd admire from afar, but not feel a personal connection to. Please somebody tell me I'm wrong and that I'm a hater :rolleyes:

Edited by OE-305

I just wanted to say that I was walking through fourth ward (the historic part) today and looked around to see how this building would fit into the view. If you actually go out there and look up from that perspective this building isn't obtrusive at all and actually would appear to be right in the clump with the other high-rises uptown. So I would assume that is why the home owners are not upset. Of course fourth ward residents are not your typical NIMBY's, usually they like to see high-rises out there window.

Going back briefly to the 2008 finish date, the article indicated that they looked at demand/year, and found it to be strong, but then they positioned their tower to be finished in 2008. is it possible that demand for 2005-2007 have been satisfied by the other announcments?

It may be that their conservative stance will be a benefit to owners of existing condo resale, and prevent a glut of units. But do you guys think that all highrise announcements from here on will be for 2008-2010?

Edited by dubone

It will encourage you Charlotteans to know that Churchill is building its Orlando project pretty much on time and without the city incentives extended to other projects. In fact, it's had a significantly quicker timetable than one particular project that got millions from the city.

Dale......excellent, just what I like to here.....a developer who has his crapt together.

Dudone.....I think it's fair to say that the rest will be 2008-post. From a logistics standpoint, I think there are barriers as to how fast they can throw one up, and I think any developer might be getting a little nervous, but I think that will be settled once Courtside is done, and Avenue and TradeMark are under way with strong pre-sells.

There are at least 3-more in the planning stages that I can think of (including the one at Morehead and S. Tryon that should be announced soon). Also, 615 E. Morehead had better step up soon, or it's going to get left in the dust (although it will be a slightly different product aimed a different demographic).

OE-305.....From what I've been told today, the base has been left intentionally plains along Graham and 6th, because it will be wrapped in the future by low-mid-rise development with ground floor retail (though I think they are selling off the parcels and not developing this component themselves).