The Vue

cooperdawg

I would think they would sell......they could discount units by approximatley 40% and still turn a nice profit. Essentially that level of debt averages out at around $260k/unit.

Those 2-story uptown view 950k 1 bedrooms should price out at around $225k-$250k even with a 30% profit margin baked in.

I think the market would support that pricing, even with that many units.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Those are competing ideas. So perhaps they're still looking at the financial impacts of either direction?

Well from what I've been told... They bought it sight unseen with the thought that it was similar to a standard floor plate like avenue, catalyst etc... But when they found out the how different each unit was in size, price and layout they contemplated selling because they were worried about the demand for so many high end units... They have since went back to their original plan.

Oh ok. I tend to prefer the rental option, although it will probably suppress plans for other new apartment projects from coming in. But realistically, it is far more important for uptown to get that building occupied, so if it keeps new projects out then so be it.

I assume since Northwood got the debt at such a good discount that they will not necessarily need to put these up for high prices. Will this end up bringing down rents uptown?

I would think (or I would hope so :D).... They bought the building at $250k per unit... If they don't price them aggressively, I'd speculate three years to rent the place out... On the other hand, it could rent very quickly if they stay within the medium range for uptown then bump prices next go round etc. There's a huge demand for rentals uptown right now and prices are skyrocketing, but there isn't nearly enough demand for 200+ units or so priced at or above $3000.

So the medium-level pricing for rentals would be purely to be some sort of firesale to get it full and not due to the product that was actually built being middle of the market for uptown, right?

From the perspective of getting the project full of residence, I say this is all very good news. I do hope, though, that it doesn't cannibalize other uptown rental projects, with people moving from out of Catalyst or Post into the Vue because they've priced so agressively. It would be very good for them to get it on the market in time for the DNC.

I still don't know what their plan is for pricing... I was just speaking hypothetically because I know the uptown rental market. You don't find many rentals Uptown over $3000 that aren't a penthouse... For example: There are 7 condos uptown over $3000 right now in MLS. Only 3 are legitimate and they are all penthouses. The other 4 are DNC pipe dreams (ie: a 3bd/2.5ba at Fredericks Place is listed at $7900). I personally think aggressive pricing is the right move but who knows... I don't foresee them going so low that Catalyst and others can't compete...

Hopefully we'll find out soon because I wouldn't mind renting there for a year or two :good:

• Like 1

That will be up to Northwood, but I believe the auction begins at the face value of the senior debt, which I believe is more than what they paid. If someone offers more than that, Northwood could let them "win" and would be paid that amount so they would have instant profit. Northwood could also outbid them if they wanted to make sure they keep the property, and essentially they would just owe themselves, so they wouldn't lose the property if that didn't want to. Most like, there will be no bidder except for Northwood which will bid the original value of the debt, and "owe" themseleves that much to take the title free and clear at which point that will own it for a total cost what the paid for the debt last month plus some minimal legal/admin fees.

Everyone closing in 2010 at 2006 prices knew what they were getting into. Either they had negotiated a very good deal for using cash or they are wealthy enough to want the intangeables of living in the building despite the loss of value of the asset.

• 1 month later...

Not much surprise, but this is probably the most positive outcome. Thankfully, the urban rental market seems strong enough lately to be able to absorb many of the lesser units. I'm not fully sure what the market is for the highest end of that spectrum, but it seems at least there will be some justification with the ultra-luxury upfits for many of the early pre-sold units.

I can't wait to see this building >3/4 full with all of the activity this can help add to 4th Ward neighborhood. In the end, I want to see enough people to help support some new retail and restaurants in the retail units along 5th St.

Time will tell, but it seems that the new owner has the ability to discount to get a critical mass of residents into the building.

• 1 month later...

I have been wondering what has been going on at the Vue. Today's Mecklenburg Times (to which I do not subscribe) has this teaser:

Believe it or not, there's activity at The Vue

While there was little demand to own a Vue condo, apparently people have no qualms about renting there. In the roughly three weeks since the unsold ...

And that is where the teaser stops. Has anyone heard anything?