The Vue

cooperdawg

Went out with friends on Saturday night and driving past the city on 77 and seeing the Vue have so many lights on done gone made me happy, I'll admit.

Now if they would only open that planned 50th floor bar for the public - Charlotte would finally have a real Observation viewing area draw for the city.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any news on how the renting is going? I always forget to look at the lights when downtown after dark.

I rode by at night within the last week, well on 277 anyways, and I can say I saw more lights on in the Vue than I've ever seen. I'd say at least 1/3 maybe even half of the units appeared to be lit up. So judging by that, it appears that leasing appears to be doing well. 

Edited by wend28

Would anyone like to see a crossfit gym at the firehouse? Brewery is a fantastic idea, but space would be pretty tight with tanks and equipment.  

Eh, not really. Even though we have plenty of restaurants, I kind of want to see one there since there is the perfect space for patio seating out front. Either that or subdivide it into several smaller retail stores.

• 4 weeks later...
Would anyone like to see a crossfit gym at the firehouse? Brewery is a fantastic idea, but space would be pretty tight with tanks and equipment.  

I looked into this space for some clients not too long ago and learned that they have had hundreds of inquiries. My clients were looking to open either a tap house or a bbq joint. we quickly learned that the plumbing alone was going to be a small fortune. I believe the listing agent told me the upfit cost would come in no less than 500k. he even sent over some architectual drawings that i still have somewhere.

• 1 year later...

Yeah I posted that in the Filming in Charlotte but I guess this is probably a more appropriate thread.. :good:

also.....THIS hahaha

I'd murder someone to turn that firehouse into a micro-brewery.

• Like 1

I know we discussed this somewhere house, but it's relevant here. Don't know if there has been any change in the plan, and I certainly haven't seen any signs of progress, but the firehouse was supposed o be turned into a coffeehouse and event space, more info here:

http://www.ebenezerscharlotte.com

All the online info on this is over a year old, anyone know anything new?

Yeah I posted that in the Filming in Charlotte but I guess this is probably a more appropriate thread.. :good:

also.....THIS hahaha

LOL.  Yeah, apparently I'm not as deadly as I claim.  

That said, I am kinda glad this Ebenezer's thing doesn't seem to be moving forward.  I have still have pipedreams of my firehouse brewery/hostel.

Interestingly, the sale of the firehouse from Preferred Parking to Alfred Pennyworth Co LLC (what an awesome name) was just recorded on 4/9/14. A business search on Alfred Pennyworth Co LLC shows its business contact to be Ryan Kalil (Center for the Panthers). Here is an article discussing the sale, no mention of what the plans are for the site now.

http://www.wcnc.com/story/local/2014/07/31/11803882

• 4 months later...

Just saw this thread...not sure if anyone is still on this one. We had the fire station under contract for over six months with plans to move forward with a coffeehouse/venue called Ebenezer's Coffeehouse. www.ebenezerscharlotte.com is the website that showed the plans. We had a private investor lined up that fell through right before closing...the Pennyworth group came in after that fell through and purchased the property - no one that we know really has any idea what they are planning to do with it now. We'll still pursue other properties in the uptown are for Ebenezer's. Just saw this online today and figured I would reply...even if it's a bit outdated. 

• Like 3

Just saw this thread...not sure if anyone is still on this one. We had the fire station under contract for over six months with plans to move forward with a coffeehouse/venue called Ebenezer's Coffeehouse. www.ebenezerscharlotte.com is the website that showed the plans. We had a private investor lined up that fell through right before closing...the Pennyworth group came in after that fell through and purchased the property - no one that we know really has any idea what they are planning to do with it now. We'll still pursue other properties in the uptown are for Ebenezer's. Just saw this online today and figured I would reply...even if it's a bit outdated.

Thanks, many wondered!

• 3 months later...

The current owners got a steal, but that is always how it is for people with capital during a panic.  

It is exciting that it is fully leased, though, as there is room for the new projects, and maybe some new announcements in 4th Ward, which has been almost completely skipped by the current apartment boom other than Skyhouse. 

It is interesting to note this: there are a TON of residents in this building plus surrounding it. However they have not been able to fill the retail at the base. What makes us confident they will so easily be able to fill the retail at skyhouse based on "built in population"?

Could we see the retail here fill in?

Because even though it will be supported by the built in population, it doesn't mean there are entrepreneurs in this city that are good at initiating that.  

It took a little while for Avenue's retail to get out there, but they do fine.   The retail of Skyhouse may not initially come online, too, but once something does go in, it is likely to be supported.   Corner Pub and all the retail in Post Uptown is supported.

It does baffle me how this hasn't be turned into something.   But I think it takes some time for the area to stabilize before it is clear what the market needs and for entrepreneurs to go in and start a business.   It is not getting the interest of chains, and our city is still very behind on building neighborhood small businesses.   

A big issue is rent. A commercial space like that is going to be very expensive for a local entrepreneur to rent; chains can afford some overhead, whereas people who are just getting their feet wet need cheaper space. This is why Charlotte's downtown tends to be chain-oriented overall; we don't have much older stock to support new businesses, so we get the folks who can afford to pay a lot of rent. It would probably be smart for some of these buildings' owners to partner with the city to offer incentives to local entrepreneurs (reduced rents, tax breaks) to start businesses in the new retail spaces. Eventually the "real" rent will start to decline and the area will be "seeded" with enough energy to sustain itself.

(Of course, I think that even city involvement should be unnecessary. It seems obvious that a building owner should take cheap rent over no rent; but they usually seem reluctant to do that.)

Last I heard, the Vue's commercial space was actually in process to become a wine bar. That was about two or three months ago, so it is very possible that the deal fell through. 

Aren't there like 2-3 spaces in there (including the leasing office)?