The Vue

cooperdawg

FWIW, the reason they're having 51 stories is because they don't want a 13th floor. Floor 12 will be two story units so a residents will actually have an upstairs with bedrooms that would've been floor 13. So if you're in the elevator you can go to floor 12 and then the next option is obviously 14. This is for superstitious reasons only.

Yes it would be a 51 story building.  The fact that the 13th story is private doesn't have anything to do with the number of total stories.  It is a bad omen though so I would stay away from those units.  And the 4th floor too.  Avoid 4 of anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what's up with 4, MB??? :huh:

You have now peaked my curiosity....

A2

I never got the whole "no 13th floor" thing...  but then again, when I was in the Westin I thought it was even weirder that they have a 13th floor... the first thing that popped in my mind was "omg! they aren't supposed to have a 13th floor!!"... how did this even start?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea, but it is pretty wild. Every bldg I have worked in Uptown has no 13th floor. All of the WB towers don't have one. It is pretty crazy if you think about it SB.

A2

I never got the whole "no 13th floor" thing...  but then again, when I was in the Westin I thought it was even weirder that they have a 13th floor... the first thing that popped in my mind was "omg! they aren't supposed to have a 13th floor!!"... how did this even start?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was that Judas was the 13th Apostle or something like that.

I have no idea, but it is pretty wild. Every bldg I have worked in Uptown has no 13th floor. All of the WB towers don't have one. It is pretty crazy if you think about it SB.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about the 7-1/2th floor of the Mertin Flemmer building? You had to walk hunchback all day or risk banging your head on the ceiling (for all you Being John Malkovitch fan(s) out there)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, this floor thing is pretty freaky, I'll have to look something up before I believe it.

I thought it was that Judas was the 13th Apostle or something like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there were only 12 apostles, of which judas was one.... but the eleven + jesus, i guess, pushed judas to #13....

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_080.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/numerology

there are lots of ancient superstitions around the number 13 that predate christianity, though, but judas sure gave 13 a bad name...

but i don't get the whole not naming a floor 13.... do the "bad spirits" or "bad luck" read elevator buttons? if the 13th floor is labeled "14" on the elevator, does it trick the bad spirits and they just go to the next building...it is still the 13th floor whether they label it that or not....very silly.

(maybe i should be a little more superstitious than i am... i got some pretty bad med news on friday the 13th this year.... :) ).

Some interesting facts:

More than 80 percent of high-rises lack a 13th floor.

Many airports skip the 13th gate.

Airplanes have no 13th aisle.

Hospitals and hotels regularly have no room number 13.

Italians omit the number 13 from their national lottery.

On streets in Florence, Italy, the house between number 12 and 14 is addressed as 12 and a half.

Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue

If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck . Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names

Some interesting facts:

More than 80 percent of high-rises lack a 13th floor. 

Many airports skip the 13th gate. 

Airplanes have no 13th aisle.

Hospitals and hotels regularly have no room number 13. 

Italians omit the number 13 from their national lottery. 

On streets in Florence, Italy, the house between number 12 and 14 is addressed as 12 and a half.

Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue

If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck . Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All bad things to have. Thanks for posting the warnings.

Is the Vue really a 40 story building?

I was looking at the full page sized rendering in the printed observer this morning and only counted 40 floors based on the number of balconies on the side of the building. Now it is obvious that 9 of those floors are 2 stories in height, but if that is the case, then technically this is a 40 story building as when counting stories, it does not matter the spacing between floors. Does this also mean the building has less units than were originally estimated?