The Vue

cooperdawg

ok.....I asked around, and this is what I heard......someone is assembling the block bound by 5th, 6th, Graham, and Pine for a large scale residential project.....they didn't know about scale of that proposal, but didn't seem surprised when I mentioned 50 stories in 4th ward......when I questioned them about that block being in the historic district, they didn't think it was, though the HDC clearly shows that it is........it is possible that the HDC and FoFW wouldn't protest this block, as long as the Fire Museum was left as is (since the rest of the block is surface parking and a warehouse in horrible condition)

Anyway......whether or not this is the same project, it looks like something will be happening on this block relatively soon which is good.....since it one of the few blocks that seriously damages the urban fabric.

• Like 1

I always thought that block would have been a good fit for a multi-story indoor retail (or at least interior courtyard retail) with residential on top of it due to it's location between fourth ward/5th and Poplar and the rest of town, and Gateway/Johnson and Wales. Would make a great meeting place between the two Wards.

for some reason, i originally thought that the student apartments that later because Cityview Towers was going on that block... i guess because they kept saying "across the street from Harris Teeter".

I would be extremely surprised if a 50 story building went on that block. It would look so lonely, being surrounded by such low rise buildings. i still doubt the neighborhood would be okay with it, even if they don't have legal authority. I mean, 5th and poplar saved and integrated the st peters building, and gave the neighborhood a grocery store... but that didn't stop them from forcing a lower roof line on the north side of the block.

in the scenario where they do, infact, break all expectations and build a highrise on that block, do you think that will start development pressure to rebuild old 80s multi-tenant places along graham like springfield?

You know, I don't think it would be out of place. It's not uncommon for downtowns to have highrises that aren't surrounded by other highrises. In my opinion, the Arlington looks just fine in South End (well...you know what I'm saying....) This spot is less than four blocks away from other towers, it won't look out of place at all.

I also don't see how the neighborhood could complain, it's not that far from where Trademark is going. Plus..you live in downtown, you might see a high-rise or two....

Edited by rockhilljames

I checked tax records......BofA and Lincoln Harris bought one of the parcels on this block last fall (so I would suspect they are involved in whatever is going on here) The rest of the block is owned by Preferred Parking (of course) and a family.......certainly these parcels could be under contract.....

It might look a bit out of place, but maybe not in a bad way.....I think the back bay of boston looks really cool because of how a few skyscrapers jut out of mid rises.

I think there is already development pressure on the low-rise multi-family in 4th Ward......however, the apartments would certainly be the easiest to redevelop. Buying up all the condos will be difficult to do in a cost effective manner.

Rumors about a new condo tower in 4th Ward were confirmed by Doug Smith in today's Charlotte Observer. It's called The Vue and it'll be located at 5th and Pine between Cityview Tower and Fifth & Poplar apartments. Another surface parking lot bites the dust!

Here's the article:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/11096274.htm

Besides the announcement, there are various comments from real estate experts and the developers about Charlotte's Uptown residential growth that are very interesting.

Developers are Churchill Development Group, Orlando, and Westminster Partners, Chicago.

There's a web site, but nothing is posted there yet.

http://www.vuecharlotte.com/

Well......the arena isn't there an that takes up 2 full and 2 half blocks.....Imaginon takes up a full block....Courtside/Court 6 take up half a block (though it is grass in this picture) Citiview right across from this project takes up half a block. From this view that is all that I can find......

I really life this project... It kinda spreads out the towers while keeping the dense feel up uptown. With all the new projects going up the face of uptown charlotte will be completely different... and Better!

And yes there are still plenty of places to build here... so I hope they keep the developments coming but residential can not fill all of it... I would love to see some more mid office towers maybe a few more skycrappers... but other projects that bring more life to dt... we could do another 8 acre park and still have plently of room to build what ever we wanted for years to come.

Charlotte is rockin!

Thats going to look awesome driving in towards the city from I-77 (especially coming in from north of the city). This is a great project, and I love the spires on the top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree...not to sound cheesy or state the obvious.....but it does have the "chicago look" It would make sense since the developers are from Chicago.......IMO this is the best looking proposal yet.

Impressive looking tower. I'm impressed by Churchill's The Vue project in Orlando, as well. Last summer, I posted an article on SSC, that stated Churchhill was looking for land to build projects in Charlotte and Jacksonville. So, I can't wait to see what they come up with here.

As far as the surface parking lots go, Uptown is definately booming, but as you can tell, from the aerial, it still has a long way to go before becoming a true 24/7 vibrant urban core. Can any of you Charlotte forumers take that last aerial into photoshop and highlight the sites where other proposed projects and the light rail line are planned for?

BTW, here is The Vue Tower in Orlando that will be breaking ground this month.

vue.jpg

I'm really glad to see that they'll keep the Fire Museum......I hope the lower apparantly brick portion is interesting in design and good scale. They also need some retail there, and maybe some more restuarants (it's kind of a dead area of uptown of pedestrian activity). It also doesn't look like it takes up the whole block....in the rendering, it shows it with trees and parking, but hopefully cooperdawgs firm can make it a bit more interesting (or sell it off for retail perhaps)

I'm really glad to see that they'll keep the Fire Museum......I hope the lower apparantly brick portion is interesting in design and good scale.  They also need some retail there, and maybe some more restuarants (it's kind of a dead area of uptown of pedestrian activity).  It also doesn't look like it takes up the whole block....in the rendering, it shows it with trees and parking, but hopefully cooperdawgs firm can make it a bit more interesting (or sell it off for retail perhaps)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the rendering almost looked like it swallows the fire museum, even though the info says it will stay. How do those reconcile? Will the firehouse be woven into the deck ala ratcliffe?