The Vue

cooperdawg

The downside this design, and a complaint that I have about many of the skyscrapers in Charlotte, is the immediate area at the base of the tower is not very people friendly. They really should do more there to eliminate the long stretchs of very high walls with no access to the building. It's like standing at the base of a clift which tends to keep people away.

The area under the garage and maybe the building itself should be subdivided into places for retail that open to the sidewalk, not the interior of the building (well both are ok) and it needs an awning or something similar at the roofline of these stores. I am flabberghasted at how architects still get this very important aspect of the building so wrong.

The downside this design, and a complaint that I have about many of the skyscrapers in Charlotte, is the immediate area at the base of the tower is not very people friendly. They really should do more there to eliminate the long stretchs of very high walls with no access to the building. It's like standing at the base of a clift which tends to keep people away.

The area under the garage and maybe the building itself should be subdivided into places for retail that open to the sidewalk, not the interior of the building (well both are ok) and it needs an awning or something similar at the roofline of these stores. I am flabberghasted at how architects still get this very important aspect of the building so wrong.

i agree with you about the need for that in the designs... but i think it just doesn't show up very well in the model.

the rendering of corner of pine and 5th is much richer and friendlier than it appears on the model. Also, there are doors throughout the streetlevel on 5th... which is only barely visible on the model... but will supposedly be street retail. And then there is a building entrance in the center of the pine street facade. Even though there is only one entrance on pine, i think it will still be fairly pedestrian friendly because it has a landscaped flower box section.

one thing, too, that i think softens the effects that you are worried about, is that this building's site is only 1/4 of the block... so with the other buildings that are already on the block (like the firehouse), and those that will eventually be built at 6th and pine and along graham, will help to keep the area pedestrian friendly.

i walked by the vue sales center today to see the model in person. you can also see a floorplan of the ground floor... and i'm now even more convinced that it will be pedestrian friendly.

There are 3 or 4 retail slots on the ground floor of the parking deck. The pine street side has a outdoor covered area in the building for pedestrians, like a porch or something, with the flowerbox/planters between that walkway and the sidewalk. all of the pinestreet side will also be windows into the fancy Vue lobby.

The website was updated today. Now when you click on the individual units you have pictures of the view you will have.

Wow the views are breathtaking. They have done so much on their site. I don't know how they made it so interactive. I wonder if they had a crane up and just took pictures one day. What I find truly amazing is the fact that you can see all of the contruction sites of where the other towers are going. We are going to have one hell of a dense skyline. Not only a dense one, but quite tall as well. When people mock Charlotte for not having density, they will have to bite their tounge in the next 1,2,3, or 4 years. We are getting dense and tall ! (and very quickly)

What is also important to note is that this view is great of the CBD, but it does not even come close to showing all of the other towers that will be popping up behind it (ie the Citadan and other possible projects in the works around the Park and W.Trade)

A2

Edited by dubone