The Vue

cooperdawg

Well, on a happy note, the developers of The Vue have requested a rule change to allow them to sell the land without the conditional zoning specific to The Vue project. The text amendment would allow the zoning to revert to UMUD from their conditional UMUD-O if they want to sell the land without doing the project.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-068.htm

That sounds like great news to me. :blink:

Hah, sounds like they're looking for a backdoor.

It is interesting that on 4/28/06, they gave a press release that they hit their presales and development was a go:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14454533.htm

But shortly thereafter, this appeared on the rezoning website:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-068.htm

I wouldn't look too much into it.....certainly it provides them an out, but the petition was filed back in February, long before the made the announcement of meeting presells.

Oh, I looked but couldn't find a date. Knowing it was filed before that announcement makes me feel a little more comfortable that they are weaseling out.

As I understand it they also don't currently own all the land they are proposed to build on either and one of the remaining owners and The Vue still have not come to terms. Hopefully they will work everything out, but the zoning news sure seems like an odd request....

As I understand it they also don't currently own all the land they are proposed to build on either and one of the remaining owners and The Vue still have not come to terms. Hopefully they will work everything out, but the zoning news sure seems like an odd request....

Yeah, why go through all the expense of preparing a request and the risk of possibly tarnishing confidence in your project?

They were clearly laying the groundwork to back out as a contingency when they requested this. But if it was in February, and clearly sales have picked up again this spring, then we probably don't have much to worry about.

It is still an eyebrow raiser.

Yeah, why go through all the expense of preparing a request and the risk of possibly tarnishing confidence in your project?

They were probably thinking it would go unnoticed. But they have been busted by the UrbanPlanet crew and as we all know now, a lot of important peeps in CLT read this foru. :lol:

They were probably thinking it would go unnoticed. But they have been busted by the UrbanPlanet crew and as we all know now, a lot of important peeps in CLT read this foru. :lol:

Spoke with someone yesterday who that is involved but wishes to remain anonymous...there have been permitting issues, design issues between the developer and city that remain unresolved...honestly isn't looking good. A lot of suspicions on here apparantly are true.

I sure hope the city doesn't have an issue with tunnel-form construction.....but it wouldn't surprise me. I was told by someone in permitting back in December that it was going to take a long time to resolve the permitting issues.

My gut is that this will somehow make it through but that there will be delays.

I sure hope the city doesn't have an issue with tunnel-form construction.....but it wouldn't surprise me. I was told by someone in permitting back in December that it was going to take a long time to resolve the permitting issues.

My gut is that this will somehow make it through but that there will be delays.

If there are more delays, than eventually rising Intereat Rates and further competition could kill the VUE. I pray this is not the case, but look at this as a possibiltiy, since so much product is coming on line.

I will say that whoever starts construction (puts a shovel in the ground) before the first Quarter of 2007 will definately "win the game". Those who delay will suffer due to economic unrest that is coming.

A2

Edited by A2

I have friends in the planning department.

I can tell you that most folks in the city are very positive about this going forward and want this to succeed. Perhaps that will make it easier to get some of the permitting issues resolved.

I really hope so RHJ! I am counting on this one !

A2

Tunnel form is becoming one of the most common methods of cellular construction in the UK as its cost effectiveness, productivity and quality benefits are being realised on a wide range of projects.

Tunnel form is a fast-track method of construction that is well suited to repetitive cellular projects such as hotels, apartment blocks and student accommodation. Recognised as being a modern method of construction, tunnel form simplifies the whole construction process by enabling a smooth and fast operation that can result in frame costs being reduced by 15 per cent and provide frame programme time savings of 25 per cent.

During the tunnel form construction process, a structural tunnel is created by pouring concrete into steel formwork to make the floor and walls. Each 24 hours, the formwork is moved so that another tunnel can be formed. When a storey has been completed, the process is repeated on the next floor. A strong, monolithic structure is thus constructed that can reach 40 or more storeys in height. The use of high strength concrete ensures fast construction. For the 16 storey, 268-room, Radisson Edwardian hotel in Manchester, early striking strength of 15N/mm2 was achieved at 14 hours.

Tunnel form creates cells which are 2.4 to 6.6m wide. These can be easily subdivided to create smaller rooms. Where longer spans (up to 11m) are required, the tunnel form can be extended using a mid-span section. The walls can be designed as deep beams and supported at low level on fin columns to permit car parking.

With tunnel form, the structural engineer designs the one-way spanning slabs and walls in accordance with BS 8110. The innovation is with the formwork system. As long as the architect has chosen or is prepared to work within the constraints of regular wall alignments, tunnel form is an excellent structural solution.

The techniques used for tunnel form are already familiar to the construction industry. On average, a team of nine site operatives plus a crane driver can strike and fix some 300m2 of formwork each day, including placing 35m3 of ready-mixed concrete: typically 2.5 cells. The speed of construction is underlined by the recently completed student accommodation blocks for Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London. Here, the superstructure for a 175- bedroom block was built in only 32 days. In addition to speed of construction, the technique provides further inherent benefits of concrete: high levels of thermal mass, sound insulation and fire resistance.

The smooth face of the formwork results in a high quality finish that can be decorated directly. This reduces the need for finishing trades thereby providing additional cost savings and speeding the entire process. A hotel chain explained that the 3mm accuracy of construction meant that carpets, which are typically replaced every 3 years, can be made on a fixed loom and fitted with no trimming.

Abito-TForm-2006.jpg

That is an amazing rendering. Let's hope one day we can actually take in that view.

The issues, from what I was told by someone at the city, are more complex than just approving one thing (i.e. construction type). It also involves design and other issues at the street level, parts of the site that are not actually in the control of the developer yet (terms still not together with the owner), as well as the actual permits.

What I was told was the development team moved forward very quickly on marketing and sales before getting a lot of things approved.

...which would be the exact opposite of 210 Trade.

I remember early on in the process a lot of folks on here doubting whether 210 was going to happen due to the slow process.

Let things work themselves out...these are incredibly complex projects that have to cross numerous hurdles before they get out of the ground.

I'm still feeling really good about the Vue happening and would be surprised if we don't see construction by the fall.